Author Topic: Tony Allen, Under-appreciated?  (Read 8724 times)

Re: Tony Allen, Under-appreciated?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 05:27:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Until we see him play game after game where he will be playing his actual role this year, we have no clue.

We hope he looks good and is consistent.  But past history is against that. 

We do know that he can look good when he plays a lot of minutes and the ball is in his hands.  With the exceptions of blowouts, when is this going to happen in the season? 

He has to prove he can be productive most nights playing off the ball and not playing the bulk of the minutes. 

And there is no way for us to know how he will do until that situation arrives.  (which should be the begining of the regular season)
In summation, Tony Allen has shown he is capable of producing on the offensive end when he is allowed to be the man and given sufficient minutes.  We all know he is not going to be in that role on this team for the next few years. Tony's development has not included (to this point) the ability to produce when called upon from the bench.

He will be given that opportunity this year for a few games. If he doesnt or isnt able to take advantage, then the near decision to let him go to OKC becomes much more understandable. 8)

But he is going to be that man this year, those who don't see this missed Danny's point.  He was indicating not just that Tony does produce with 20+ minutes, but that he will actually get 20+ minutes this year, therefore his positive outlook.  Doc is already on record as saying that he is looking to give PP and Ray more time off this year, TA is the perfect candidate to pick up the bulk of those extra minutes.  Therefore, you will rarely see Tony out there with all 3 of the Big 3, needing to hang on the weak side away from the ball and thus needing to learn how to play that way.  There may be situations where that is true, but the greater % of his minutes are going to come as the designated scorer of the second unit while most of the starters are out resting. 

So Tony will for sure get the 20+ minutes he needs to be effective AND he will get to be the man, at least for the minutes he plays.  One of the gigantic flaws of last years bench was having nobody to create offense, Posey and House were nothing more than spot up shooters who benefited from others creating their shots.  Doc can now sit Paul and Ray and let Tony be that guy with the second unit, so people who think what we are seeing is an aberration because his minutes and role are going to go down, don't really understand the way the Celtics plan on using him.

He is not going to be the man with the ball in his hand to create his own offense.  He is not going to be the guy starting. 

He is going to have to be the guy that comes off the bench and plays off other guys.  He is going to have to play without the ball. 

Doc can not play with Hockey lines all year.  He did last year after the Celtics had created a big lead in the standings.  And it isn't going to happen in the playoff.  The worst thing that can happen is if he does play TA that way in the regular season and then expects him to play off the three stars in the playoffs. 

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
And as Danny has noted, when Tony gets 20 plus minutes, he produces, end of discussion.  He's going to get minutes this season and put up numbers.

I hate to repeat myself, but this a terribly flawed logic. I've given the examples of Powe and Bargnani, but there are a lot more. Ramon Sessions, for example, averages 12 points/11 assists/5 rebounds/2 steals per game when he gets 15 plus minutes. He puts better numbers than Magic Johnson in his rookie year when he gets minutes. It's obvious Milwakee has a lock to the HOF in their hands and that if they give him those minutes he's going to produce and easily led them to the playoffs. As the same exercise can be done to Charlie Villanueva - a 21/10 player when he gets +30 minutes -, and, I suspect, it will be doable to Joe Alexander and LRMAM by the end of the season, there's a dynasty waiting to happen in Wisconsin, as long as they are smart enough to give all these guys starting spots.

I share your opinion that Tony Allen can be a productive player, but the argument that he puts good numbers when he plays more than 20mpg and therefore the discussion is ended is pure garbage.

In my view, the problem is not IF Tony Allen can be productive but HOW will he be productive. One can't just throw a bunch of players who can produce together and hope the team to produce (except in Isiah Thomas very particular world). This is the reason I defended I'd rather keep Posey than add Maggette, in spite of the later being a much better basketball player. There's a chance that, eventually, TA can be productive and as a trade off one has to endure a decline in production of Pierce or/and Allen. This is not very good, unless one thinks Tony Allen is a better player.

And there is no way for us to know how he will do until that situation arrives.  (which should be the begining of the regular season)

Nope. It will be the play-offs, when game planning steps up, the better talent from both teams stays more time on the floor (he may not average those mystical 20mpgs), possessions are fewer, turnovers are way more costly and there's a bonus on heady play. During the regular season, he'll  be able to have relatively high Usg rates and play as the best/2nd best scorer/on-the-ball player plenty of time.

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 06:30:33 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
(...)Therefore, you will rarely see Tony out there with all 3 of the Big 3, needing to hang on the weak side away from the ball and thus needing to learn how to play that way.  There may be situations where that is true, but the greater % of his minutes are going to come as the designated scorer of the second unit while most of the starters are out resting.

So Tony will for sure get the 20+ minutes he needs to be effective AND he will get to be the man, at least for the minutes he plays.

This is true for the regular season. Not for the play-offs, as I state above.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
time will tell
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:22:38 AM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 12:48:43 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 07:46:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know Tony has been monstrous over the last two preseason games and people who support Tony are jumping all over this as proof that he is back to the 15 game period before his injury where he was putting up numbers like crazy, but let's take a reality check.

[..........]

- Generally, he won't be getting the type of minutes that he usually needs to put up those numbers.

- He is still the same high-dribbling, bad-passing, over-dribbling, mediocre-shooting, out-of-control guy he has always been. In many, many of the drives he took over the last two games he forced a ton of stuff and had people wide open on drop downs when double teamed.

[.........]

- He never comes back after an offseason with a new wrinkle in his game. He just rehabs his health and works on the stuff he does. Never does he come back a better dribbler, a better passer, with more range, a more consistent mid range game. Anything new, nothing. That to me is the sign of an unintelligent player.

Nick,

It's obvious you're a 'glass half-empty' kinda guy when it comes to Tony Allen, but I think you're making way too many assumptions to attempt to justify your pessimism.

First, I think it's pretty clear from listening to Doc and Danny, and from studying the makeup of this team, that Tony Allen is going to play a big role this season, probably to the tune of 20 plus minutes a night.  Tony is the only pure 2 coming off the bench, and if Doc is serious about limiting minutes for Ray and Paul, Tony is going to have plenty of time to get his game on.  And as Danny has noted, when Tony gets 20 plus minutes, he produces, end of discussion.  He's going to get minutes this season and put up numbers.

Second, you're being completely unfair about the supposed lack of improvement in Tony's game.  As others have noted, he's spent 2 of his 4 offseasons rehabbing major injuries.  That means he was in the gym every day, lifting and doing rehab exercises, but rarely if ever touching the basketball court.  It's pretty hard to improve when your health doesn't allow you to be on the court.  Second, I think it's pretty clear that Tony has improved certain aspects of his game, but that those aspects have been hidden because of the injuries Tony has suffered.  Specifically, I believe that his mid-range game, handle, and vision have noticeably improved since his rookie year.  His jump shot was terribly inconsistent last year because he the confidence in his knee varied from game to game.  Likewise, his handle was also inconsistent because of lingering concerns about his knee.  But, as history has shown, when his knee comes back and he regains his confidence, his jump shot and handle miraculously return as well.  Watch him next game: he's got a consistent release point on his jump shot and he can get pretty much anywhere he wants with the dribble (though he does tend to high-dribble from time to time, as you noted).  So, yes, he has improved, but often those improvements have been masked by injuries.

One last point: you are way out of line to equate supposed lack of improvement in the offseason with a supposed lack of intelligence on Tony's part.  First of all, plenty of supposedly 'intelligent' players add nothing to their games in the offseason: they're called role players.  They just work to refine those parts of their game that relate to the role they play.  Further, I can name one supposedly 'intelligent' player on the Celtics who has actually regressed every offseason he's been here: Brian Scalabrine.  Would you stoop to infer that Scal has a lack of intelligence? 

Bottom line: Tony has always produced very well when healthy and when given minutes.  He has both this year and he will produce.  End of discussion. 

I look forward to how the anti-Tony crowd chooses to minimize that production to fit into their worldview.
TP4U!!!!!

Well thought out, articulate, reasoned, counter argument!!!!! Well said!!!

I will just have to agree to kindly disagree with you. And I will try to not minimize what Tony does this year if he does indeed return to the form of those 15 games he played prior to the injury, as long as you try to be objective about Tony if all we get from him is the same old stuff we have basically been getting out of him for 5 years.

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 10:12:10 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
This thread got pretty good traffic which I think indicates that there are questions, good and bad about Tony.  It is true that Tony's +/- was pretty good last year and he should play better this year if even incrementally (I don't expect any exponential change).  It is also true that your +/- and your per 40 stats are always going to be better if the coach only puts you in when the match-ups are good vs. a true rotation player who has to be on the court no matter what the match-ups.

I think Danny's comments about Tony (as with all his comments) are a mix of truth and company line hyperbole (and more of the former than most GM's).  I think Danny is expecting pretty good things from TA.  Bench players tend to be more inconsistent (or they would be starters) and Tony will be that.

How about those Sox!!

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
And as Danny has noted, when Tony gets 20 plus minutes, he produces, end of discussion.  He's going to get minutes this season and put up numbers.

I hate to repeat myself, but this a terribly flawed logic.

[............]

I share your opinion that Tony Allen can be a productive player, but the argument that he puts good numbers when he plays more than 20mpg and therefore the discussion is ended is pure garbage.

In my view, the problem is not IF Tony Allen can be productive but HOW will he be productive. One can't just throw a bunch of players who can produce together and hope the team to produce (except in Isiah Thomas very particular world). This is the reason I defended I'd rather keep Posey than add Maggette, in spite of the later being a much better basketball player. There's a chance that, eventually, TA can be productive and as a trade off one has to endure a decline in production of Pierce or/and Allen. This is not very good, unless one thinks Tony Allen is a better player.

So, if I understand your argument correctly, you agree that Tony will be productive, but you have reservations about whether that productivity will lead to another championship.  For that reason, you favored pursuing the status quo this past offseason, signing an aging and declining player (Posey), instead of a younger and more productive one (like Maggette, or Tony Allen for that matter) because one had proven himself and the other had not. 

For one thing, I agree with you that winning is the ultimate definition of production.  However, it's a huge mistake to equate a non-championship with non-production.  I also agree with you that Tony will be productive this season (because he's always been productive when healthy and given regular minutes--though you seem to reject that as 'terribly flawed logic'--more on that later).  Further, I agree with you that even if Tony is productive, that doesn't guarantee that we win another title.  Where we differ, correct me if I'm wrong, is that you are basically measuring Tony's production on whether the team wins another Championship.  But, as we all know, Tony's just one player; and a bench player at that.  His contributions will be important, for sure, but determinative of a championship?  More determinative than KG's, Paul's, Ray's, Rondo's, Perk's contributions?  So determinative that you gauge his production purely on whether we win another championship?  So determinative that if Tony hypothetically wins 6th man of the year, or most improved player, and the team sprints to the Finals only to be derailed by a KG sprained ankle, then Tony's season will ultimately be judged as not productive?  I think you're definition of production needs some work.

Further, on top of a shaky definition, you want to call me out for 'terribly flawed logic,' when I say that Tony will be productive this season because he's healthy and has steady minutes; an argument you label as 'pure garbage.'  But hidden below your rhetoric is the tacit assumption that keeping Posey would have somehow guaranteed another title.  If you want to level those kind of criticisms, be prepared for them to be flung back in your face.  It's 'terribly flawed logic' to argue that because Posey helped us win a championship one season, he's the best player to help us do that again this season.  Several players presumably could have held down Posey's spot on the team last season and we still would have won.  Presumably, several players could occupy his spot this season and we could still win.  And it's 'pure garbage' to argue that because Posey helped us do it last year that Tony will be judged as productive or not based on whether we do it this year.  There are a million factors that go into winning a title, and Tony (or Posey) represent just one of those million moving parts. 

My argument would be to differentiate our expectations.  Winning, and how Tony fits into that winning, should be a component of whether Tony is ultimately productive this season, but we should also look at other things as well, like Tony's FG percentage, +/-, and PER; his ability to maintain a consistent release point on his jump shot (he's looked great this preseason with that, btw), improved decision-making and overall decisiveness, his ability to play outstanding individual defense while maintaining his discipline vis a vis the overall team defensive scheme, and his ability to score efficiently within our team offense, getting to the line and getting easy buckets.  All of these things figure into Tony's productiveness and to simplify the entire discussion of Tony's production (or 'appreciation' as this thread intends) into whether we win a championship is 'pure garbage' and 'terribly flawed logic,' to borrow a phrase ;)

To wrap things up, let me just put it out there that the job of team-building isn't about rewarding past glories, or keeping teams intact year-to-year.  It's about continually tweaking and finding the best players possible and putting them in a position to succeed year in and year out.  Posey was that player--last year.  Tony (or Maggette, had that gone down) is that player--this year.  In my opinion, resigning Posey would have been a mistake, even for this season (not to mention to burden his salary would have caused down the line), because the team as a whole was trending towards having a lack of athleticism and a over-reliance on jump shooting.  Replacing Posey with Tony Allen addresses those two potential team weaknesses and our perimeter defense and offensive efficiency on the 2nd unit should be improved this season as a result.  While improving those things does not guarantee a championship, I think it puts us in better position than the alternative to pursue one.   And that--being in a better position to pursue a championship or not--is pretty much all we can argue about at this point.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »

Offline mjohnson

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Well, here's my thought about Tony Allen.

The Boston Celtics team will try to make a PRODUCTIVE TONY ALLEN this season. Tony Allen should produce if he wants to have an extended basketball career. Tony Allen will produce a good statistics, something like 10/5/5 or better, in the best TEAM on NBA.

This will boost his value in the TRADING MARKET. Season Games are just for qualifying for the Playoffs. It will not hurt if Danny and Doc will try to use some of the games to showcase Scalabrine and T.Allen.

Hopefully, some Teams will be infatuated with them. Poof... Danny will be laughing, Doc will be scratching his head for all this Danny plans...

...I remember Big Al. He produced All-Star numbers in one season, then he and the other productive guys was traded for KG.

Btw, T. Allen's contract will expire at 2010 and that's the much anticipated off-season year.

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 02:32:23 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

[............]

So, if I understand your argument correctly, you agree that Tony will be productive, but you have reservations about whether that productivity will lead to another championship.  For that reason, you favored pursuing the status quo this past offseason, signing an aging and declining player (Posey), instead of a younger and more productive one (like Maggette, or Tony Allen for that matter) because one had proven himself and the other had not. 

Hmmm...nope. You didn't understand my argument correctly and I highly doubt you have even read what i wrote. I stated the precise argument. It has nothing to do with the "status quo" - I have no idea where have you read something that would suggest that. I don't have exactly "reservations" - I think it's very hard to predict and that most of the outcome will depend on Doc's creativity.

I see the use of straw man arguments as something very rude and uncivilized.

For one thing, I agree with you that winning is the ultimate definition of production.

Well, kind of, I suppose... there are lots of productive and excellent teams that don't win it all. Personally, I don't see winning a championship as some kind of litmus test.

However, it's a huge mistake to equate a non-championship with non-production.

Hmm... yeah, I just stated that. Who has made that mistake, by the way?

Where we differ, correct me if I'm wrong, is that you are basically measuring Tony's production on whether the team wins another Championship.

You are wrong. I'm struggling to understand how did you come to that conclusion.

(...) I think you're definition of production needs some work.

I think either your mind or your eyes are playing tricks with you and I genuinely hope it's nothing serious.. Not only I never offered a definition of production, but you did create one, generously attributed it to me and now you are saying it needs some work. 

Further, on top of a shaky definition, you want to call me out for 'terribly flawed logic,' when I say that Tony will be productive this season because he's healthy and has steady minutes; an argument you label as 'pure garbage.'

Once again, you are wrong: I said that the very usual mantra that "player X produces when given minutes" is sustained by a flawed logic. I explained why and proceeded to give practical examples. If you want to make a counter-argument, I'd be glad to hear it.

But hidden below your rhetoric is the tacit assumption that keeping Posey would have somehow guaranteed another title.

Err... once again, you are inventing things. Are you sure this post is directed to me? Because I can't even see the slightest connection between this and what I wrote.

If you want to level those kind of criticisms, be prepared for them to be flung back in your face.  It's 'terribly flawed logic' to argue that because Posey helped us win a championship one season, he's the best player to help us do that again this season.(...) 

Yeah, I agree. I really think you should consider re-read my posts.

To wrap things up, let me just put it out there that the job of team-building isn't about rewarding past glories, or keeping teams intact year-to-year. (...)

Look, as I said, I think straw man arguments are very impolite. Due to my disposition, I generally do not enter in discussions with people who use them. It's not a personal trait I'm proud of, and for that I apologize.

However, I'll explain to you that, if anything, I believe the mantra "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" to be way over-rated. I'd rather have many other players in last or this year's team instead of Posey - in fact, I'd be willing to trade every single player on the team for better players, as long as they could mesh well and build a better team. To give a quick example, I'd rather have Posey than Maggette; but if we traded Rondo for Farmar, then I'd prefer Maggette to Posey.

So, if you want to have a discussion, STRICTLY from a coaching perspective, about the pros and cons of having a player with Tony Allen's skillset, or, more precisely, the roster the way it is currently constructed, with its weaknesses and strengths, I'd be happy to participate. I believe that what I wrote in this thread about the offensive systems the team has been experimenting in the pre-season games so far is a good starting point, but surely there are others you can come up with.

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
my biggest problem with Tony is that I think in order to be productive he needs big chunks of time to establish himself first. Tony isn't productive when its 3 mins in the 1st, 3 inthe second, 6 in the third and 3 in the 4th. Thats 15 mins of game time but the sporadic nature of it limits him. he's a confidence guy, and he builds his confidence by getting the PT. Posey didn't have that issue, and thats why he was perfect for us. Eddie House doesn't have that issue and thats why he is still perfect for us. I don't think Leon Powe shares tony's problem or Glen Davis. I do think Pruitt has the Tony disease, and I also think Giddens will too.

I think we need players that give us the same decent to very good 3 min stretches.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 04:28:33 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

[............]

Hmmm...nope. You didn't understand my argument correctly and I highly doubt you have even read what i wrote. I stated the precise argument. It has nothing to do with the "status quo" - I have no idea where have you read something that would suggest that. I don't have exactly "reservations" - I think it's very hard to predict and that most of the outcome will depend on Doc's creativity.

I see the use of straw man arguments as something very rude and uncivilized.

Cordobes, feel free to state your 'precise' argument if you're so certain I've missed or misconstrued it.  The fact that you failed to restate it leads me to believe that you aren't even sure of what you think it is.  And if you do, I highly doubt you understand the implications of it.

To recap, it seems to me that your 'precise' argument is that all types of players, Ramon Sessions for example, can put up good numbers when they get minutes.  Ok, I get that.  But you caution that even though someone can put up numbers when they get minutes it's not necessarily the case that those numbers will lead to wins.  As an example, you cite the Knicks, who put 'producers' together who failed to produce wins.  As a further example, you cited that you favored keeping Posey instead of going after Maggette, even though you admit that Maggette is a better player.  So, in your own words, the question comes down to: "not IF Tony Allen can be productive but HOW will he be productive."

Putting that all together, I come up with the following implications:
1.  You favor the status quo.  Since Posey et al did it last season, you wanted to get them another shot at it.  Why else would you favor keeping Posey instead of exchanging him for Maggette (or Tony Allen)? 
2.  You're going to judge Tony not on the numbers he produces, but rather on whether the 2nd team gels as it did last season, leading us to a championship.  That's why you re-framed the question as "HOW will he be productive?"

Now, from reading your response, it seems that you don't understand that these implications follow from what you argued.  In fact, you wrote:

However, I'll explain to you that, if anything, I believe the mantra "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" to be way over-rated. I'd rather have many other players in last or this year's team instead of Posey - in fact, I'd be willing to trade every single player on the team for better players, as long as they could mesh well and build a better team. To give a quick example, I'd rather have Posey than Maggette; but if we traded Rondo for Farmar, then I'd prefer Maggette to Posey.

While I'd quibble with your examples (Farmar is extremely overrated and I don't know why we'd trade Rondo for him), I think it's clear that you allow for the fact that multiple players could have filled the Posey role last season and we still would have won.  So, I ask you, what exactly is your problem with Tony Allen?  Is it simply that he hasn't had the good fortune of playing a meaningful role on a winning team?  Or that his particular abilities aren't going to mess well with this particular team? 

In a previous post in this thread you wrote:

That said, in my view Tony is the kind of player whose style is better served when he can play on the ball, in the strongside. Doc's biggest challenge is to transform Allen in a better player off-the-ball. This is very important for the team coming the playoffs, when our most talented players are going to be on the floor for long minutes. It's not exactly a matter of being productive with minutes, I disagree with Chris here, but of being productive with less shot attempts, less touches, less dribble penetrations, etc. Let's hope he can do that, or we are basically screwed. As pointed before in this thread, taking (and making) dozens of contested shots in pre-season games is not indicative of what he can do in that role; although I think it's going to be a precious asset in the regular season.

Perhaps this is the precise argument you talk of?  It seems that you argue Tony hasn't shown he can't play off the ball effectively; that he needs the rock in his hands to be productive; that he hasn't proved that he can be productive with less shot attempts, less touches, less dribble penetration opportunities, etc...  Perhaps, this is why you think that it'll probably come down to Doc's creativity.  Somehow Doc will have to get Tony to play off the ball effectively.  To this I say:

Contrary to you've stated, you're judging this team based on last year's model.  Since Posey was able to defer to the big 3, Tony must be able to as well.  While you state that don't subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy, you're using last year's standards to predict this season's outcome.  What I'm saying is that there are many ways to skin a catfish.  The way we won last season doesn't necessitate winning that same way this season.  Perhaps that's what you meant by saying it'll come down to "Doc creativity."  In that respect you're right, and I suspect Doc is not stupid enough to expect Tony to play Posey's role this season.  So, contrary to your assessment, we are not 'screwed' if Tony can't play off the ball; we're simply going to be different.  And as you admit, we can be different and still be champions.

Once again, you are wrong: I said that the very usual mantra that "player X produces when given minutes" is sustained by a flawed logic. I explained why and proceeded to give practical examples. If you want to make a counter-argument, I'd be glad to hear it.

Well, first, I'm not sure how much logic is involved.  I'm simply arguing from history: when healthy and given minutes, Tony Allen has produced.  As to the broader context, that "player X produces when given minutes," obviously that can only be determined on a case-to-case basis.  It's not a universal rule.  The counter-argument is that to determine real worth, you have to look at the context of those numbers.  It depends on how player X scores, whether it's efficiently or not, how well player X defends his position; how much leadership player X shows while he gets his numbers (the difference between Ricky Davis' numbers and Brandon Roy's is the utter lack of leadership that Ricky could show) and a myriad of other factors.  In Tony's specific case, in all the times of health and minutes (I'd say those times would include parts of his rookie year, his 3rd year, and this season so far), Tony has been a highly efficient scorer, getting to the line and getting easy buckets.  He isn't a volume scorer; he gets lots of layups and free throw attempts.  He's also shown a good amount of vision, often responding to double teams by finding the open man under the basket.  He's also shown great overall tenacity and toughness, especially on defense.  I believe that any decent coach could take these qualities and weave them into an overall team game plan.  In fact, I expect Doc to do just that.  Specifically, I'm not sure how much we'll see Tony with the Big 3; it's more likely we see him with 2 of them; and it's very likely that we see him quite often without any of the 3 as Doc attempts to continue to limit their minutes.  Posey, on the one hand, could not be very effective without the Big 3 drawing attention and kicking the ball to him.  Thus, it was hard for Doc to limit Ray and Paul's minutes.  On the other hand, Tony can be effective without the Big 3 and he'll make it easier to limit Ray's and Paul's minutes.  So, while we won't perhaps see Tony much in the 4th quarter with the Big 3, what we will see is a fresher Ray and Paul because of the effective minutes Tony was able to play in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters.  Again, there are many ways to skin a catfish.

So, if you want to have a discussion, STRICTLY from a coaching perspective, about the pros and cons of having a player with Tony Allen's skillset, or, more precisely, the roster the way it is currently constructed, with its weaknesses and strengths, I'd be happy to participate. I believe that what I wrote in this thread about the offensive systems the team has been experimenting in the pre-season games so far is a good starting point, but surely there are others you can come up with.

You're right, this is where the conversation should head.  I've begun that conversation with my assertion that, unlike Posey, Tony won't see many minutes with the Big 3 down the stretch.  I think Doc will give Tony that time to be the man on the 2nd team, hopefully limiting Ray and Paul's minutes as a result.  I'll also make the assertion that Tony will, on occasion, play with the starters in a Rondo/Tony/Ray/Paul/KG small ball lineup and that in those occasions Tony will be asked to hit some corner threes, make smart passes to the post, limit his penetration opportunities and turnovers, and play spectacular defense while getting out on the break for easy bucket opportunities.  I think he can do ALL that given the opportunity.  I especially think his 3 point shot is going to surprise people this season.  But I'd also caution people against expecting all that the first game of the season.  I expect it'll take Tony a half season to get fully comfortable in his new role.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Cordobes, feel free to state your 'precise' argument if you're so certain I've missed or misconstrued it.  The fact that you failed to restate it leads me to believe that you aren't even sure of what you think it is.  And if you do, I highly doubt you understand the implications of it.

Ok, let's try it this way: I started a sentence by using the expression "this is the reason why...". I'd invite you to read the previous sentence, the one that states "One can't just throw a bunch of players who can produce together and hope the team to produce". Now, let me know:
1) Can you understand that sentence?
2) Do you agree or disagree with it? If you disagree, why?

Please, answer these questions in order to allow this discussion to proceed.

To recap, it seems to me that your 'precise' argument is that all types of players, Ramon Sessions for example, can put up good numbers when they get minutes.

Nope. You just invented that. I'll explain once again: MANY times the logic that "player X can produce given minutes" is flawed because what happens is that player X is only given minutes when he is producing. It's very simple: some guys are inconsistent from game to game, from matchup to matchup, and coaches take them out of the floor when they aren't playing well. Of course Ramon Sessions can't produce 10/10/5 every time he is given minutes. If that was case, he'd be the starter. Like Powe wouldn't be a 18/10 if he was given minutes, Villanueva won't average a double-double if he plays +30 minutes every game, etc. So, the argument that "he has proved he can productive when given minutes" is not really enough to "end a discussion". Now, allow me to ask this:

1) Can you understand the difference between what I wrote and what you said it was my precise argument? Can you understand it is precisely the opposite?
2) Do you disagree with my argument? To the core of it, can you agree that many times some players will stay on the floor as long as they are producing but the coaches will bench them when they aren't playing well?

Please, answer these questions in order to allow this discussion to proceed.

Ok, I get that.

Unfortunately. If you did get "that", you got it wrong, because I  never argued "that".

But you caution that even though someone can put up numbers when they get minutes it's not necessarily the case that those numbers will lead to wins.

Yeah. Isn't that obvious?

Putting that all together, I come up with the following implications:

Wrongly. What you do is called non sequitur. In my process of reasoning, I try to avoid it.

Now, from reading your response, it seems that you don't understand that these implications follow from what you argued

Because they don't.

While I'd quibble with your examples

It was just an example, I was watching film of Farmar and he was good enough for the effect. Do you got it or do you need further explanation? Please, answer this question in order to allow us to limit the amount of misunderstandings.

So, I ask you, what exactly is your problem with Tony Allen?

Ok, what exactly does this mean? What's a "problem with Tony Allen"? I like Tony Allen. When Posey signed with Nawlins, I said Ainge should sign Tony Allen as his replacement. I think your perspective of this discussion is quite... I can't find the exact word... personal. I'm not used to discuss basketball like this.

It seems that you argue Tony hasn't shown he can't play off the ball effectively

For once, yes, I argued that. Do you agree or disagree?

that he needs the rock in his hands to be productive

Look, as I made clear, I hate straw man arguments. I don't know if Tony Allen needs to play on-the-ball to be productive - again, I don't know, I'm not saying that he can't. What I said is that playing in the strongside is what better suits his style. From my view, that's quite obvious to anyone who has ever seen TA playing. Then, I said that Tony has never proved he can be consistently productive playing off of better players. This is a historical fact. Do you disagree with anything stated in this paragraph? I'd appreciate clear answers.

Contrary to you've stated, you're judging this team based on last year's model.  Since Posey was able to defer to the big 3, Tony must be able to as well.  While you state that don't subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy, you're using last year's standards to predict this season's outcome.  What I'm saying is that there are many ways to skin a catfish.  The way we won last season doesn't necessitate winning that same way this season.  Perhaps that's what you meant by saying it'll come down to "Doc creativity."  In that respect you're right, and I suspect Doc is not stupid enough to expect Tony to play Posey's role this season.  So, contrary to your assessment, we are not 'screwed' if Tony can't play off the ball; we're simply going to be different.  And as you admit, we can be different and still be champions.

I really don't follow your logic: I was the first to say that the team will need to play in a different way, and try some new things, due to the composition of the roster. Now, you are saying I'm judging this team based on last year's model? I'm sorry, but there's not much to say - it simply doesn't make sense and you're basically arguing with yourself and using me as a proxy. Be sure of one thing, though: during the play-offs, Ray and Pierce will play as much as possible, limited by the usual factors.

The problem with being different is that when you are running the kind of thing Doc has been running this off-season, you are going to be very, extremely, radically different - and you are not being different by your own option, but because the limitations of your personnel are forcing you to adopt unorthodox tactics. There's a reason why basically nobody in the NBA runs the 14h. And this is never a good thing.

I'm fully aware that "there are many ways to skin a catfish". The problem is that some of them are better than others, less risky, etc.

I believe that any decent coach could take these qualities and weave them into an overall team game plan.  In fact, I expect Doc to do just that.

Good, let us know your opinions about the stuff Doc is experimenting this pre-season. What do you perceive as strengths and weaknesses? And what would you do? What kind of sets and offensive systems would you run? Do you thing a 4out/1in may work? Do you think we will be running more often DDM sets this season? Or triangle sets, especially with the 2nd unit?

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 05:57:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What is TA's history when he does not start?  What is his history when he is playing off other players?  

Does anyone else remember how TA was playing two years ago before Wally went down and he was given the chance to start?  If I remember correctly, there were alot of calls to give all his minutes to Green since TA was so inconsistant off the bench.

What have we seen that shows he is going to be an improved player in that role now?  (p.s.  he hasn't played that role in the pre-season.  He has been given the ball.)

Now, I hope he has improved and will continue to improve to fit the role the Celtics need him to fill.  

But if he hasn't, expect to see the Celtics, before the trade deadline, to suddenly give him some more minutes to try and shop him to find a role player.

There is a chance that while TA has improved, he ends up being a bad fit for the Celtic need.  Some players just need to be starters and have the ball in their hands.  That is just not what the Celtics need.

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'll also make the assertion that Tony will, on occasion, play with the starters in a Rondo/Tony/Ray/Paul/KG small ball lineup

Oh, I can see that happening. And essentially, for the exact same set of reasons that prompted Doc to play Posey at the 4 many times last season - spacing with Rondo on the team and transition defense. However, that's a solution which suffers from several downsides, Pierce guarding PFs and under-sized wings being the most obvious of them. As I said, some ways of skinning a catfish are better than others.