Author Topic: Rumor: trade in the horizon?  (Read 23203 times)

Re: Rumor: trade in the horizon?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't have any "sources" at the local deli...what I do have is a television.

At about 1am on CSN last night, (not sure if it was a repeat, but probably) Tanguay hinted that Pruitt and Baby might be traded for an offensively inept, banging back up to Perk...He mentioned that OBryant would stick around but "isn't that guy" to be physical on the block that we need...

Anyone else see this or hear anyone similar?  Who might this be?

This isn't a rumor.  When you say a trade is on the horizon, you make it sound like something is actually happening.  This just looks like speculation on Tanguay's part to me.

And we have a banger, his name is Kendrick Perkins.  We don't need another, O'Bryant has looked great.  And if you want strength, you always have BBD.  And by the way, I thought Big Baby had a nice game last night.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 11:26:19 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

At about 1am on CSN last night, (not sure if it was a repeat, but probably) Tanguay hinted that Pruitt and Baby might be traded for an offensively inept, banging back up to Perk...He mentioned that OBryant would stick around but "isn't that guy" to be physical on the block that we need...

This isn't a rumor.  When you say a trade is on the horizon, you make it sound like something is actually happening.  This just looks like speculation on Tanguay's part to me.

Why isn't it a rumor? Marshall said something similar. Those guys (CSN) are fairly plugged in to the Celts.

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't care about Fesenko, but i'll admit I was a bit surprised that DeAndre Jordan wasn't taken with that last pick in the first round. he COULD be an All-Star, which seems worth the risk considering his size.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 11:49:07 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Why isn't it a rumor? Marshall said something similar. Those guys (CSN) are fairly plugged in to the Celts.

I saw this part of sports tonight, and I agree that it wasn't a rumor (at least by my definition).  I would consider a rumor as something that was started due to inside information.  This was simply speculation by Tanguay based on the fact that he believes Big Baby is too short, and POB is too skinny to cover some centers in the league.  To me, it was very clear that this was his opinion, and not based on any actual information.  He was basically saying what people have been saying on this site for a long time, but just because he is on TV does not mean that it is any more viable than if you or I say it.

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Baby and Pruitt are in the last year of their contracts, Pruitt only has a team option. So basically, they're expirings and teams could use some of those while not really downgrading their talent. But who will be our backup point guard next year? I really like Pruitt, but I think I could live with him and Baby being traded for a halfway decent guy who can help right away.

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We are talking about a whopping $1.4 million per year here. Where is Danny going to find anyone dumb enough to take two second year, second rounders and trade them for someone who has size that might help a championship team and yet who's salary is within the $1.4 million area?

I heard what they were talking about during the post game and most of it centered around who would be getting cut. The talk was about speculation that if Miles isn't the guy getting cut than how would a spot open without cutting salary. Hence the trade speculation. At least some of that was centered around what they were talking about.

Marshall did chime in with the shoot down of Tanguay's reasoning with the "yeah, but you never trade big guys for little guys" comment. I think he was trying to throw some water on the fire before talk of any foolish trade scenario went any further.

I don't think what was being discussed was rumor in any way, shape, or form.

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Nice avatar, nick. TP for feeling my pain.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
How about Kevin Garnett for Stephon Marbury? We need a scoring combo guard off the bench. I think Starbury could fill the role.

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Nice avatar, nick. TP for feeling my pain.

Nick...where did we go so wrong?  ;)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

I saw this part of sports tonight, and I agree that it wasn't a rumor (at least by my definition).  I would consider a rumor as something that was started due to inside information.  This was simply speculation by Tanguay based on the fact that he believes Big Baby is too short, and POB is too skinny to cover some centers in the league.  To me, it was very clear that this was his opinion, and not based on any actual information.  He was basically saying what people have been saying on this site for a long time, but just because he is on TV does not mean that it is any more viable than if you or I say it.

TP for making this a lot clearer.

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 04:47:41 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
This works.  It is not pretty.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3200~3227~1021~988~2807&teams=26~26~26~2~2&te=&cash=

Here is a much better trade, though very unlikely.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3200~3227~2990&teams=17~17~2&te=&cash=

i would jump for joy if we got boone...

and for the record, tanguays tone was more like he knew something than speculation...at least thats how i interpreted it..

just sayin'
God bless and good night!

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I have no doubt that Danny is trying to make a deal (it's in his nature) and it doesn't take a genius to figure out who is expendible and who isn't.

But I have zero interest in players like Stephen Hunter or Josh Boone.  BBD is better than both of them.  In fact the Nets have no player that would interest me except for Eduardo Najera.

IMHO the player in Ainge's sights is Travis Outlaw.  Unfortunately, Portland probably won't deal him until Martel Webster and Channing Frye return to action.

Folks talk about Scalabrine's trade value (for purposes of matching salaries, not basketball value), but we shouldn't forget that if Darius Miles sets foot on an NBA floor in the 11th game of the upcoming season it will cost the Blazers at least 9 million dollars in luxury tax.  Miles gives Ainge more leverage to get a player he really wants than Scalabrine does.

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I have no doubt that Danny is trying to make a deal (it's in his nature) and it doesn't take a genius to figure out who is expendible and who isn't.

But I have zero interest in players like Stephen Hunter or Josh Boone.  BBD is better than both of them.  In fact the Nets have no player that would interest me except for Eduardo Najera.

IMHO the player in Ainge's sights is Travis Outlaw.  Unfortunately, Portland probably won't deal him until Martel Webster and Channing Frye return to action.

Folks talk about Scalabrine's trade value (for purposes of matching salaries, not basketball value), but we shouldn't forget that if Darius Miles sets foot on an NBA floor in the 11th game of the upcoming season it will cost the Blazers at least 9 million dollars in luxury tax.  Miles gives Ainge more leverage to get a player he really wants than Scalabrine does.

I agree with you for the most part except 2 points:
* Boone would be excellent on this squad
* If all the talk is about Danny wanting another 7 foot "banger" off the bench, why would he acquire the 6'9 200lb outlaw??
God bless and good night!

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 06:33:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

The better and safer way for Portland to make sure that Miles salary is going back to their cap is to trade for him. In fact, it's probably the only way.