Author Topic: Warriors could void Ellis's contract  (Read 2651 times)

Warriors could void Ellis's contract
« on: October 17, 2008, 05:17:12 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

Re: Warriors could void Ellis's contract
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I didn't realise you weren't allowed to ride a Mo-ped if you were in the NBA, Seems like just a mode of transportation to me. Is he being suspended, due to the fact he lied about it?

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
If they do, 29 teams will be lining up to sign him, including teams like Memphis with a ton of cap space, plus every single one of the contending teams.  If he's willing play for a year or two at the MLE, Ellis could write his own ticket.  The kid can play.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Golden State is a mess on top of a catastrophe.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The report said they'd void his contract if he couldn't recover his previous high levels of quickness+agility ... and would not void his contract otherwise. That's fair.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:03:37 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I didn't realise you weren't allowed to ride a Mo-ped if you were in the NBA, Seems like just a mode of transportation to me. Is he being suspended, due to the fact he lied about it?

It's specifically addressed in the player contract, since there's such a high risk of injury.

Thing is, I was watching one of those retrospectives on the C's season last year...  and they were showing the team in Rome...  and what do you know, Ray Allen climbs onto a moped and rides away ;)  Never thought twice about it until the Monta Ellis thing happened.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I said in two previous threads, franchises should retain this right and in some cases exercise it. Ellis would lose millions over the course of his career if GSW does this and although it would probably be foolish to, it might be the best thing for them in setting an example of being the type of franchise they would eventually want to be.

If Ellis' contract is voided, look for a blood letting in Golden State with Mullin and Nelson being shown the door. This looks like the type of story where an owner is feeling violated after giving a guy a $66 million contract and then getting screwed due to the players breach of the contract and where the GM and coach don't think it's a big deal.

Watch for a possible explosion of activity in the Bay Area over this one. I get the feeling this story is just beginning.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I always lived under the impression that NBA contracts were virtually impossible to void. The Bulls bought out Jay Williams, IIRC. I find it hard to believe that an arbitration court would allow such a thing, just because Ellis violated one clause of the contract and seemingly lost some of his basketball abilities. Wouldn't that violate the principles of the reasonability and proportionality or something? I'd like to read Roy Hobbs' input on this.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

As mentioned above, it's specifically prohibited, by the following language:

The Player and the Team acknowledge and agree that the Player's participation in certain other activities may impair or destroy his ability and skill as a basketball player, and the Player's participation in any game or exhibition of basketball other than at the request of the Team may result in injury to him. Accordingly, the Player agrees that he will not, without the written consent of the Team, engage in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury including, but not limited to: (i) sky-diving, hang gliding, snow skiing, rock or mountain climbing (as distinguished from hiking), rappelling, and bungee jumping; (ii) any fighting, boxing, or wrestling; (iii) driving or riding on a motorcycle or moped; (iv) riding in or on any motorized vehicle in any kind of race or racing contest; (v) operating an aircraft of any kind; (vi) engaging in any other activity excluded or prohibited by or under any insurance policy which the Team procures against the injury, illness or disability to or of the Player, or death of the Player, for which the Player has received written notice from the Team prior to the execution of this Contract; or (vii) participating in any game or exhibition of basketball, football, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or other team sport or competition. If the Player violates this Paragraph 12, he shall be subject to discipline imposed by the Team and/or the Commissioner of the NBA. Nothing contained herein shall be intended to require the Player to obtain the written consent of the Team in order to enable the Player to participate in, as an amateur, the sports of golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball, volleyball, and other similar sports that a reasonable person would not recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury.

http://www.nbpa.org/cba_exhibits/exhibitA.php

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I have a hard time seeing the Warriors actually voiding the contract unless it was a career-threatening injury.  Part of this is because if Ellis came back somewhere else and did well, it would infuriate their fans - but more important, it seems like it would be a lot tougher to attact free agents in the future.  Harder to want to negotiate with them.

IMHO, they're posturing since Ellis and his agent are threatening (if they haven't already done it) to appeal the suspension.  "Hey, go ahead and appeal - we'll just void the whole thing!"  They're making it in everyone's best interest to take the suspension, rehab, and move ahead.  If they did move to void his deal, there aren't that many teams out there who could offer him much of anything for a contract this year, so they've got a ton of leverage over him that way as well.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 10:05:28 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
no chance they void it. if they do, gsw will be the worst team in the nba, and next year's draft ain't the best one either.

Become Legendary.