Author Topic: Miles is Awful!  (Read 10242 times)

Re: Miles is Awful!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
So even though it's not official - yet - can I pull out the "I told you so" speech.

I have said from the very moment he was signed that he wouldn't make the team. I have said from the very moment he was signed that I would put more stock in what three orthopedic surgeons had to say about this man's long term prognosis than anyone else's. I just never understood the absolute certainty of people that Miles was going to be what he once was ever again.

He is beyond a shadow of his former self and if he ever does succeed at a comeback it will be as a PF and not the high flying acrobatic SF he once was. And even that is doubtful.

Now that it is fairly obvious that others are going nowhere(Cassell will be a playing coach, Pruitt appears to have lifted the backup PG spot from House who has seemed to been converted into a 2 guard, Scal has assured a apot by Danny and actually looked like an NBA player last night, and there are going to be no trades) and that the guy with the non-guaranteed contract will be on his way out, perhaps some of you more vocal members can now come here and actually admit you were wrong about the guy and the situation.

I took a lot of heat for my stance and for sticking to it. I think Wide Load and Roy were a couple of the very few that support me here. Just a little "I was wrong" would be nice!!!

If you really knew he would be cut the day he signed, then you are obviously smarter than Danny Ainge who decided to sign him, congratulations.  He must have saw something you didn't at the workouts you watched together to offer him a deal, albeit non-guaranteed.  In no way am I defending Miles' play, but you do not deserve an I told you so before any cut happens nor any admission of being wrong.  Why in the world did Danny take a flier if he was aware that you thought this was an abject disaster right from the start?  In what was obviously such a waste of time, I wish Danny had taken your advice so the Celts could have concentrated on something else.  

Also, I haven't heard one word out of camp about Miles having impressed in the workout, but his knee is just falling apart now, as a reason why he was a hopeless case from the beginning, the ortho surgeons opinions' aside.  Wyc ought to have serious concerns about Danny's judgment in bringing in a guy that even fans on CelticsBlog knew had ZERO chance of working out, he may wish to reconsider that extension he gave Danny.  What an insult to even try this, doesn't Danny know better than to use his own intellect in making no-risk decisions rather than listening to the wisdom of the fandom?  I am shocked....

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So even though it's not official - yet - can I pull out the "I told you so" speech.

I have said from the very moment he was signed that he wouldn't make the team. I have said from the very moment he was signed that I would put more stock in what three orthopedic surgeons had to say about this man's long term prognosis than anyone else's. I just never understood the absolute certainty of people that Miles was going to be what he once was ever again.

He is beyond a shadow of his former self and if he ever does succeed at a comeback it will be as a PF and not the high flying acrobatic SF he once was. And even that is doubtful.

Now that it is fairly obvious that others are going nowhere(Cassell will be a playing coach, Pruitt appears to have lifted the backup PG spot from House who has seemed to been converted into a 2 guard, Scal has assured a apot by Danny and actually looked like an NBA player last night, and there are going to be no trades) and that the guy with the non-guaranteed contract will be on his way out, perhaps some of you more vocal members can now come here and actually admit you were wrong about the guy and the situation.

I took a lot of heat for my stance and for sticking to it. I think Wide Load and Roy were a couple of the very few that support me here. Just a little "I was wrong" would be nice!!!

If you really knew he would be cut the day he signed, then you are obviously smarter than Danny Ainge who decided to sign him, congratulations.  He must have saw something you didn't at the workouts you watched together to offer him a deal, albeit non-guaranteed.  In no way am I defending Miles' play, but you do not deserve an I told you so before any cut happens nor any admission of being wrong.  Why in the world did Danny take a flier if he was aware that you thought this was an abject disaster right from the start?  In what was obviously such a waste of time, I wish Danny had taken your advice so the Celts could have concentrated on something else.  

Also, I haven't heard one word out of camp about Miles having impressed in the workout, but his knee is just falling apart now, as a reason why he was a hopeless case from the beginning, the ortho surgeons opinions' aside.  Wyc ought to have serious concerns about Danny's judgment in bringing in a guy that even fans on CelticsBlog knew had ZERO chance of working out, he may wish to reconsider that extension he gave Danny.  What an insult to even try this, doesn't Danny know better than to use his own intellect in making no-risk decisions rather than listening to the wisdom of the fandom?  I am shocked....

I think Ainge pretty much knew he was going to cut Miles from the start.  Just look at the contract.

Miles was given a chance.  That's the best he can hope for right now. 

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I attended the game in Manchester last Saturday and when Miles came on the floor he still looks real slow and tentative, which can you blame the guy? I mean, we saw how careful Tony Allen was after his knee surgery and this guy's was worse. So I think it is still in his head. I think if Miles stays, it will be to fill in the Scott Pollard role, but maybe POB already took that spot.

I think Miles has some skill, he seemed to be in the right place at the right times in the game I saw, and I mean positioning for rebounds, setting screens, but I don't think he has ever really had a consistent jump shot, more like a running pogo stick before the injury. He really has to adapt his game to be more effective. I guess it all comes down to how much he loves the game and how hard he is willing to change his game. Develop a jump shot, rebound, play defense.

I was at that Manchester game as well. He had a couple of nice blocks but I completely agree with your assessment. He doesn't look at all the wiry, quick athlete he use to be. He is definitely gonna have to aapt his game to more of a PF-style I think right now. He wasn't very aggressive out there any maybe part of it is trying not step on toes and fit in on a championship team. But he didn't act like he wanted it. His game has no aggression right now. And maybe, it's confidence, it's conditioning, it's re-learning the game. Whatever it is, I think he still has a chance in this league as Grover said but maybe now is just too soon. Either way, if he doesn't make it here I wish him luck.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Exactly TP for that. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Danny made a mistake, for me it seemed an obvious one. He's made others, Gerald Green comes to mind.

And no amount of sarcasm is going to change the fact that when Miles is cut, it will vindicate me for the opinion I had. Just because many here have only green tinted glasses and see every move management makes as brilliant, apparently yourself included, doesn't mean we here can't disagree with him and be correct when Danny is wrong.

As for the the why did Danny take a flier question, I can't believe someone with so much wit and subtle sarcasm isn't smart enough to know the answer to that. It's because Danny usually brings in more players than he is going to keep to create an environment of competition for every spot. What better way of getting members of your bench worried about their place in the rotation than to bring in a former first round draft pick who once was considered a shoe in to be an NBA superstar.

The give away was the non-guaranteed contract. Miles didn't impress Danny enough to give him a contract. Miles impressed Danny enough so that Danny could use him as that extra body at camp getting players worried about being cut and playing to their fullest potential. Hence, the non-guaranteed contract. Why everyone gets it turned around the other way is beyond me. Miles didn't impress Danny enough to give him a contract, he just impressed him enough to figure that he would be basically a good practice player during training camp and the preseason to push the troops.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 10:50:14 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

If you really knew he would be cut the day he signed, then you are obviously smarter than Danny Ainge who decided to sign him, congratulations.  He must have saw something you didn't at the workouts you watched together to offer him a deal, albeit non-guaranteed.  In no way am I defending Miles' play, but you do not deserve an I told you so before any cut happens nor any admission of being wrong.  Why in the world did Danny take a flier if he was aware that you thought this was an abject disaster right from the start?  In what was obviously such a waste of time, I wish Danny had taken your advice so the Celts could have concentrated on something else. 

Also, I haven't heard one word out of camp about Miles having impressed in the workout, but his knee is just falling apart now, as a reason why he was a hopeless case from the beginning, the ortho surgeons opinions' aside.  Wyc ought to have serious concerns about Danny's judgment in bringing in a guy that even fans on CelticsBlog knew had ZERO chance of working out, he may wish to reconsider that extension he gave Danny.  What an insult to even try this, doesn't Danny know better than to use his own intellect in making no-risk decisions rather than listening to the wisdom of the fandom?  I am shocked....
Danny made a mistake, for me it seemed an obvious one. He's made others, Gerald Green comes to mind.

And no amount of sarcasm is going to change the fact that when Miles is cut, it will vindicate me for the opinion I had. Just because many here have only green tinted glasses and see every move management makes as brilliant, apparently yourself included, doesn't mean we here can't disagree with him and be correct when Danny is wrong.

As for the the why did Danny take a flier question, I can't believe someone with so much wit and subtle sarcasm isn't smart enough to know the answer to that. It's because Danny usually brings in more players than he is going to keep to create an environment of competition for every spot. What better way of getting members of your bench worried about their place in the rotation than to bring in a former first round draft pick who once was considered a shoe in to be an NBA superstar.

The give away was the non-guaranteed contract. Miles didn't impress Danny enough to give him a contract. Miles impressed Danny enough so that Danny could use him as that extra body at camp getting players worried about being cut and playing to their fullest potential. Hence, the non-guaranteed contract. Why everyone gets it turned around the other way is beyond me. Miles didn't impress Danny enough to give him a contract, he just impressed him enough to figure that he would be basically a good practice player during training camp and the preseason to push the troops.

Not to nitpick cuz I really don't care but If Danny really brought in Miles for the reasons you said(which are certainly conceivable) and never really thought he'd keep him, how is doing so(bringing in an extra body to camp just as he di last year) a mistake? Not to mention that while Gerald never showed the work ethic or intelligence to get any better how was taking a chance on a kid most scouts labeled as lotto level talent a mistake too? It's a shame it didn't work with Gerald but that's a tough deal to lay the selection at Danny's feet like that. Had Gerald been selected by Indy a pick earlier we would've went with Granger.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

You could be 100% correct but, I'm still hoping he makes it.  By the way what are your thoughts on Sam being on the roster?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
He's pretty much met my expectations.

Average player with potential + career-ending injury = not a contributor on a World Champion

I was a little surprised that people were so gung-ho about this from the beginning.  It was unreasonable to expect much of anything at all from Miles.  He wasn't anything special *before* the injury, and he's certainly not an NBA-level player now.  Hope springs eternal and all of that, but I think a lot of people fooled themselves into thinking Miles would make an impact. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Let's make sure we all don't pat ourselves on the back too much.  I'm sure there are a few things that were 'so certain' that could be tracked down in most board members posting histories. 

cough 'we need Sam' cough
cough 'Doc can't coach' cough
cough 'Danny is horrible' cough
cough 'Pruitt will never play' cough
cough 'POB is awful' cough
cough 'Tony is awful and said he was better than Posey' cough

All of these have been posted by more than a few people. 

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Too bad.
I guess I got carried away as well.
Sometimes, it's all in the name.
But I must say I thought Miles did
still have some hops. Why else would
the Celtics give him a shot at making
the team? That's beyond me.
Lest I should forget, I at least want
to thank Darius for picking No. 7 and
thus earning me a whole lot of TP's  ;D

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Average player with potential + career-ending injury = not a contributor on a World Champion

I was a little surprised that people were so gung-ho about this from the beginning.  It was unreasonable to expect much of anything at all from Miles.  He wasn't anything special *before* the injury, and he's certainly not an NBA-level player now.  Hope springs eternal and all of that, but I think a lot of people fooled themselves into thinking Miles would make an impact. 

I think the key is not that he was an average player with potential with a career winning injury, but that he was a player who was set apart from other players by his incredible athleticism, who had an injury that clearly took that one special tool away from him.  If he was a highly skilled player before the injury, then things might be different, because he could make up for the lack of athleticism in other ways, but it just isn't working for him.

I still think it was a no-brainer signing, because it was non-guaranteed, and it was worth a look.  But you were absolutely right from the beginning about the chances of him actually making the team. 

To me, the thing I liked about the signing was it gave the team 4 guys with excellent potential (whether realized or not, it was there) trying to fight for a spot or two in the rotation.  We knew at least a couple of them would not impress, but it gave the team a number of chances to do better than the steadily mediocre veteran that many people wanted us to sign. 

Even though Miles didn't make out, so far, I am feeling good with the direction Danny went, because of the play of Allen, and especially Walker.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I wasn't a big Miles guy but at most he'd be expected to be a "hold the fort" guy for 5-10 minutes a game. I don't think many people expected him to make a dramatic impact.

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 11:17:35 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
nick- You definitely were one of the ones stating this from the initial signing. I was in your camp on that one. In fact, I got slammed when I posted about the suspension story coming out a few weeks back since I hadn't seen it the first time. I didn't like this signing at all either and said so at the time. There were many on here posting about how he was the Posey replacement we needed. He was over-rated and all potential before he was hurt. Now he is just plain awful. As much as I dislike Sam's game I'd rather have HIM on the team than this guy. His game reminds me of the first few weeks I resumed playing ball after my rotator cuff surgery. Slow, out of shape, no lift, and mishandling the rock every time I touched it. The difference was that being healthy at that point a few weeks later and I was fine. He is a self-labeled 85+% receovered. That extra 15% in upside at best results in a bad player. He's done. Nice effort to come back. Nice story. Sad result.

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I don't believe he is as bad as everyone is making him sound. Since he is coming back from a serious knee injury I firmly believe he is suffering from the same confidence issue TA had last season. Once he has his confidence and gets in bball shape he should be better. Since Scal will not be cut and Cassell not putting on the suit he will be the one to be cut.