Author Topic: Is Rondo a bit shy?  (Read 5951 times)

Is Rondo a bit shy?
« on: October 17, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
We all read the story that Rondo had chemistry issues with some of his teamates during his rookie season, but that he tried to be more open last season and is now an accepted member of the team. I guess that´s true, but today, while I was googling for Celtics news, I´ve stumbled over a blog entry that doesn´t show Rondo in a good light. Maybe I´m interpreting too much into this, at least I hope so, but I thought it´s worth sharing with the rest of CB...

http://slanchreport.com/2008/09/26/rajon-rondo-wasnt-very-friendly/

So last night I was at a media event and Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo where there amongst other people, hence why I was there. Kevin Garnett couldn’t have been nicer, he was totally down. However, I am VERY VERY disappointed with Rajon Rondo who was a total Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. to me. I first went up to him and tried to introduce myself as a Celtics fan and he blew me off. Fine, whateves, it’s a party. Then later when he was standing alone off to the side, I approached him again and asked if I could get a photo with him. He reluctantly agreed and then when I took my phone out of my pocket to take the picture he refused, saying “NO camera phones,” and then turned his back on me. It wasn’t like I was trying to take a video of him nailing 6 hookers or something, I just wanted a picture of me and him. Needless to say I am GREATLY disappointed. First off, Rondo was barely bigger than I am, and I ain’t the biggest tree in the forest, and second, BE NICE TO THE FANS! Especially since I used to be a minority owner of the Celtics. I once was VERY very tertiarily involved in the paying of salaries! So, here’s the worst camera phone picture of Rondo that I got last night. This one DEFINITELY makes him look like an alien.

What do you think? Do you think he´s really like that? Would you say it´s ok to treat fans that way, even if you´re in private on a party or if you had a bad day? Is he just a bit shy? Does he have something against camera phones? No problem at all?

Personally, I think that we don´t know exactly about the circumstances, so I guess he deserves the benefit of the doubt. It´s probably not a big deal.  ;)

Anyone on here who ever met Rajon and who could tell us a bit more about him?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:31:53 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Re: Is Rondo a jerk?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:22:45 AM »

Offline xxcelticsfan34xx

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
maybe he was haveing a bad day....when i went to see the celtics game against cleaveland last friday he was being nice with all the fans, Now lebron is a different story complete jerk as far as i am concerned
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:29:23 AM by Jeff »

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Thanks, Jeff, I´m not that good when it comes to english swear words, so I just used the term that the author used. I´m sorry if the original title wasn´t appropriate...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 07:36:42 AM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Yeah, i'm a huge UK fan and watched him and saw him throughout college.  He was always a nice guy, not the most outgoing, but nice.  I would say he just had a bad day, and i'm sure occasionally, it would get old having people come up to you.  Not defending him, just saying probably just wrong place, wrong time.

I would hope at least.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:44:42 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I don't think being gruff with fans paints you as a jerk. I think its more important how you treat friends and family. Alot of movie stars end up doing the same kind of thing - being a little gruff with the media or fans..

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:07:41 AM »

KGamblePreBigContract

I bet the 'quote' i.e. former minority owner wishes he was still an owner ;)

IMAO, as someone else said, he might have had a bad day, or maybe it's that little fact that HE'S AT A PARTY type event trying to enjoy himself and it's hard for him to get his groove on with some lucky lady if he's got some 50 year old sweaty dude sweating/stalking him.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:22:59 AM by KGamblePreBigContract »

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:08:56 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Rondo could get a running start and cold cock me from behind & if he was still around when I regained consciousness I'd say thank you. I know Rondo isn't running up to random people asking for pictures with them, if he decides to take it..great, if he says get away from me loser..great. Nevermind all the hours of free entertainment he has given us, breaking Nash down alone gets him immunity.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 08:15:26 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
If the only thing that Rondo is doing is refusing pictures from camera phones, I'm fine with that considering that other athletes are doing drugs ( the two rookies in the hotel room ), fighting with their bodyguards ( Pacman Jones) , driving intoxicated, raping women ( Kobe), etc.........

You got to look at it in context here....

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Once a minority owner?  You think his dad gave him a share of stock when he was in grade school back in the C's public days?

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 08:38:37 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I rarely buy into these stories of peoples impressions of celebrities when they meet them.  You simply never know what causes them to act the way they do.  Sometimes there is a legit reason, and sometimes, the person who is meeting them, and expects them to be like "oh wow, a fan, thanks so much for all of your support" don't realize they are the ones who are being rude, and it doesn't come across in the story.  

It would be one thing if Rondo was like "Sorry, I only take pictures for money", but this story simply doesn't make sense in a vacuum, and makes me think there is more too it (maybe he has a phobia of camera phones...).  I just wouldn't read too much into it.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I bet the 'quote' i.e. former minority owner wishes he was still an owner ;)

I bet the minority owner part means he owned a share of Celtics stock that used to be sold, so techincally a minority owner, but really just a fan as those shares of public stock were pretty much just for fans and gave really no ownership of the team.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »

Offline JPMmiles

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
I've been reading on this site for over a year now, but I just now created a username so I could log on and post in this thread.

Rondo is NOT a jerk. 

I also approached him at an event.  (He's also no bigger than I am, but who cares?  Dude can flat out play.)

He's quiet.  He struck me as a private kind of guy.  He had no entourage at all, he was just with one other guy.  I said hello, thanked him for bringing a championship to Boston and shook his freakishly large hand.  Later, the event organizer arranged a photo for me, my wife, and Rondo.  He was very nice about everything.

Did he invite me to join him?  Did his eyes light up at the sight of another local idiot approaching him?  No. 

Does that make him a jerk?  Of course not.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 09:46:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This fan's story makes him come across as someone entitled to get a picture with Rondo because he paid $10 to own a tiny piece of the franchise.  Give me a break. We as fans have to understand one important thing: There are 12 players, and millions of fans.  Get over the fantasy that the players have the same love for you as you have for them. I happen to think Charlize Theron is beautiful, and could swear she is looking right at me when she is on Letterman. Think I should call her up and ask her out? 

Rondo sounds like he is shy, and does not know this guy from a hole in the wall. Frankly, given his letter, and the fact that he decided to go on line with the story, I would not want to be in a picture with the guy either!!

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Doesn't sound like a jerk.  He was ready to take a picture with a fan, but when he saw it was a camera phone, he said no.

With all the athletes that get in trouble because of people snapping them with camera phones, I would not be shocked if the NBA has spent a lot of time telling their players to avoid getting caught in a camera phone.  

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Doesn't sound like a jerk.  He was ready to take a picture with a fan, but when he saw it was a camera phone, he said no.

With all the athletes that get in trouble because of people snapping them with camera phones, I would not be shocked if the NBA has spent a lot of time telling their players to avoid getting caught in a camera phone.  
Bingo!! Look what happened to what's his face during the national anthem of some event when he went off about being black and such. That was on a camera phone. Now who was that?......Can't remember but you know who I mean.