Author Topic: Free Darko (well actually, trade him to the Cs)  (Read 12524 times)

Free Darko (well actually, trade him to the Cs)
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
here's an idea to continue our 'win now' philosophy, and add talent and size in the frontcourt while solving our roster situation.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3200~3429~3227~1021~2171&teams=29~29~29~29~2&te=&cash=

in order to buy into this you have to believe that baby, pruitt and giddens will never amount to more than rotation guys at best. i used them to match salaries based on their place in the rotation, and the flexibility of their contracts (meaning, there are other guys you might consider here, like cassell going to MEM and then pulling a brent barry, but he can't be traded until Dec 15), but fill in the players as you wish. the reasons why memphis does this are obvious... they're rebuilding, have zero use for darko, and this gives them youth and saves them money.

after seeing the way perk and now POB have thrived playing next to KG, it's tough to imagine a guy of Darko's talent as a shotblocker NOT being able to fit in here. meanwhile, we give away nothing in terms of flexibility in 2010, and have a nice expiring deal to use next winter in trade should we wish to. i'm not overestimating darko's game, i recognize his many shortcomings in effort and offense, but there's no question he could play a key role over the next two years as a role guy.

meanwhile, we can now bring PJ back if we want to. we can sign a buyout guy midyear if we want to. etc etc...

thoughts?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Free Darko (well actually, trade him to the Cs)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Most rational fans would definitely do that, but what would Memphis gain out of it?

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Memphis loses this trade badly, and would have to make cuts to take care of a 4 for 1 deal.  Sorry, but even after the Gasol trade I don't think Chris Wallace would fall for this.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Not a bad trade for the Celts but Darko is way overpaid. Everywhere he's been Detroit, Orlando, Memphis he was suppose to finally breakout and be this great center. He's always disappointed. He might be the white Kandi Man. Darko might not be much better then O'Bryant and O'Bryant cost us a little more than a bag of balls.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Most rational fans would definitely do that, but what would Memphis gain out of it?

three talented young players (two of whom are wing players, one of whom is a four: they need both) and a savings of about $3.75MM. yes, they'll need to cut someone worthless to make it work (quintin ross), but that's money already spent, half covered by the league. here's the question: who is going to give them a meaningful pick or better players for darko?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Not a bad trade for the Celts but Darko is way overpaid. Everywhere he's been Detroit, Orlando, Memphis he was suppose to finally breakout and be this great center. He's always disappointed. He might be the white Kandi Man. Darko might not be much better then O'Bryant and O'Bryant cost us a little more than a bag of balls.

he's one of the best shotblockers in the league, and would be joining a team built around defense. mr. o'bryant has never done a thing in the league and is the only back-up center on the team. i for one would prefer a little insurance at the 5 over scal and replacable youngsters...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

three talented young players (two of whom are wing players, one of whom is a four: they need both) and a savings of about $3.75MM. yes, they'll need to cut someone worthless to make it work (quintin ross), but that's money already spent, half covered by the league. here's the question: who is going to give them a meaningful pick or better players for darko?

Pruitt, Baby, Giddens and Scal all suck. 

Nuff said.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 01:54:30 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
As long as everyone is throwing out ideas, how about Darius Miles for Rudy Gay? That trade is about as ridiculous as the one about trying to get Darko... Give me a break.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 02:28:54 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I wouldn't, simply because I think the team would end up needing Pruitt if an injury happens to Eddie or Rondo. I don't trust this Sam Casell on the court. But that's just me.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 06:28:24 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wouldn't, simply because I think the team would end up needing Pruitt if an injury happens to Eddie or Rondo. I don't trust this Sam Casell on the court. But that's just me.

pruitt will be the backup by the allstar break.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
As long as everyone is throwing out ideas, how about Darius Miles for Rudy Gay? That trade is about as ridiculous as the one about trying to get Darko... Give me a break.

Maybe you should take that break.

Darko is the highest paid player on a team losing money while rebuilding, this year and next year. They want to cut payroll and get good prospects at positions of need. What do you think they want for him, real players?

You may also recall Wallace used to be with the Celts. Two words for you: Kevin McHale.

Unless you have a better idea...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I stayed on the Darko bandwagon longer than just about everyone else, but I'm finally off after last year.  He has been handed opportunities and he has never taken advantage.  I love his potential, but where's the improvement?  He's still a rough draft.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

he's one of the best shotblockers in the league, and would be joining a team built around defense. mr. o'bryant has never done a thing in the league and is the only back-up center on the team. i for one would prefer a little insurance at the 5 over scal and replacable youngsters...
Can you please explain this statement?

Last I checked when I think about best shot blockers in the league I think Camby, Smith, Howard, Dalembert, Amare, Okafor, Duncan, and even Mourning when he is healthy.

Milicic is not one of the names that come to mind when I think of the league's best shot blockers.

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 08:53:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Darko was 14th in the NBA last season in blocks per game despite playing only 23.8 minutes a night. Evened out for minutes and he's 7th in the league.

He's been a top shot blocker everywhere he's been. When he was in Orlando he blocked more shots per minute (by a wide margin) than Dwight Howard. Darko is a top shot blocker.

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 09:05:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I love the trade from Boston's point of view, but don't see it from Memphis' point of view.

They give up a guy with potential for salary match filler (Scal) and three projects.  BBD would probably see some playing time for Memphis, but Giddens and Pruitt will be way back in the depth chart.  Pruitt in particular doesn't make much sense.  Memphis already has: Conley, Crittendon, Lowry and Mayo.... no room for Pruitt.

So, the deal would need to be sweetened for Memphis to bite: swapping Powe for BBD might do the trick, but as a Boston fan I would hate to see Powe and his hustle be replaced with Darko and his moody underachieving. 

For that matter, if we want a moody underachiever, we could just sign David Harrison.
Celtics fan for life.