Author Topic: observations from Pittsburgh  (Read 1933 times)

observations from Pittsburgh
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Due to relocation from Chicago to western PA, last night was the first time I've seen the Celts in person in 18 years. Here are my thoughts based on what I saw:

1) POB is very athletic and more skilled than Perk. He's longer, quicker, has better hands, better touch and better timing. He needs more lots of work and experience. I doubt he ever reaches Perk's level for tenacity, desire or strength of character. Plus Perk is much more physical.

2) Miles is a great athlete. His shot is very rusty but he has great moves around the basket and passes well out of a double team.

3) Leon Powe is tremendous. He can contort his body and get a good shot off against almost anyone. He reminds me a lot of old number 31.

4) Gabe Pruitt struggles to run the point but is a player. He can shoot, run, jump and defend well enough to contribute.

5) Big Baby appears to be in better shape.

6) The team of House, Pruitt, BBD, Powe and Tony Allen dominated the Cavs scrubs down the stretch.

7) Ray Allen will be better this year. He looked like a young colt and even posted up once for a score.

8 ) PP and KG are still dynamite.

9) Most impressive was that the entire Celtics' bench (players) was on their feet for most of the 4th quarter, cheering on their teammates. To have 3 superstars that care that much is rare leadership in today's sports world.

The 2nd unit (any combo of POB, Powe, BBD, Miles, TA, House, Pruitt) can be one of the best in the NBA if they jell. Doc has a lot of options with these 7 and Sam to mix and match. They have the skills and athleticism to match up with any team and give the team a lot of quality minutes. I think they will be better even with Posey gone. If they are affected by the loss of Posey it will surface more in the playoffs than in the regular season.

All of this opinion is based on watching 1 preseason game, so take it for what it's worth.

Re: observations from Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Great observations.  How are you enjoying Pittsburgh?  I recently relocated from there and I'm thinking about going back.  The thought of missing more Pirates games is just killing me.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
One of the things that you pointed also addresses one area of concern that I had with Posey leaving.  The enthusiasm on the bench is still extraordinary.  The "ubuntu" seems to be alive and well, and the 4 non-center starters are very comfy with each other.  They're a confident bunch, and they should be.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:41:28 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
POB and Perkins are just about mirror opposites.  I wouldn't label POB soft but, he doesn't have the bulk to be as physical as Perk.  Perk looked pretty good for his first game.  No signs of any issues with his shoulder of course he got about 4 fouls in 10 minutes of Perk-o-ball. It's going to be nice having a fairly skilled offensive player sub him.

Miles did show some flashes last night but, it's going to be awhile before he can be counted on to be part of an 8 - 10 man rotation.

Leon was out of his mind last night.  It's not that I never appreciated his hard work and moves around the rim but, I just felt like he seemed like a guy that might never get much better than he was last year.  Forget that, the guy looks better than last year already.  Please work on your FTs Leon because you'll be shooting a lot this season.

Pruitt has nice very nice athleticism and has a nice shot but, he's caught in that stage where he's trying to do too much because he knows he needs to impress.  I know Danny has to see the talent he has and there is no way that he's getting cut IMO.

BBD in better shape and hustles his but off and I like that he can guard bigs even for his size.  He's got better ball skills than Powe but, as of right now it's not very close who the better player is.

I just love Eddie House and I don't care if has some struggles at PG.  The guy is all heart and has no conscience and knows he's good.  He's the big shot maker that will get the C's over the hump come playoff time.  

Tony Allen is healthy and while he still makes some bonehead plays he'll be a valuable player off the bench providing necessary scoring.  He'll probably lead the team in the scoring a few games.  The pass to Powe last night was very nice - no look for 3 pt play of course.

I mentioned it before and really believe Ray will have a much better season.  He's comfortable.

Rondo is the perfect PG with so many great players.  He's a thief and will not hesitate to dunk on you if you slack off him.  He's developing nice little moves around the rim.  He's learning to use the other side of the rim to protect from being blocked.

No need to comment on KG and PP they are in mid season form.  

And you are so right.  I thought with losing Posey and winning the Championship might take them down a notch with fire.  No way the young guys and of course KG will never let that happen.  They stand the whole game cheering on their teammates no matter who is the game.  It's like a college atmosphere.

I just love watching the C's play.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:07:17 PM »

Offline pbon

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
 I love watching them too. After watching the Patriots the other night its good to see players like Powe , Davis and others giving 110 percent diving for loose balls ect

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I don't see the Cs in person much either, but did see the Manchester, NH game in person, so I'll chime in here:

POB has genuine C length, and a really soft touch--almost like Big Al (except POB has a face-up shot too!).  If POB was a rookie who we had taken at #9 this year, everyone on this board would be ecstatic.  Just remember, though, Skippy Blount looked great for one-half of his contract year, so the "character" question remains to be answered as to POB, and will not have been answered at contract time, which is a big inherent risk, but so far, I love what I've seen from POB.

Miles has much better size than TA/Giddens/Medical Bill; he's a long 3, and will make the team for that reason.  For those who were hoping Medical Bill had PP size, forget it; he's the same size as TA.

Smiley Pruitt and Eddie have some real complimentary backcourt skills and chemistry; Pruitt, too, has real good size, and can defend the 2, which makes him and Eddie complimentary.

I think the Pruitt/House/Miles/Powe/POB unit can close out the games where the starters pass on a decent lead.

TA is a dunce and will always remain a dunce.

Bring on #18!!!   
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
For the gentleman who asked how I'm enjoying Pittsburgh, well, I'm about 50 miles south of the city and I live near where I grew up so it isn't new for me. I lived in Chicago for 15 years and like it but there's no place like home.

THe House comments are right on and I'll add that he seems to be the leader of the 2nd unit. He and Pruitt together were a good combo-neither is a true point but both can handle the ball and shoot. The unit of GP-EH-TA-BBD-LP had a number of steals that led to baskets.