Author Topic: The King's Prince.  (Read 9049 times)

Re: The King's Prince.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
What the messiah needs is a more talented version of James Posey.  Posey is the closest thing to a poor-man's Pippen in the NBA.  Somebody who cares more about championships than he does his own role.  Posey isn't talented enough to fill a 40mpg role on a championship team but he is the type of player the messiah would need.

I'm with Kung Powe right now.  Although I'm sure there's a player out there.

What about Bruce Bowen. I think he's the poor mans Pippen. And Pippen was also dirty sometimes even tho sum people don't to admit it.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »

Offline 12417

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
As currently constructed I don't forsee the Cavs as a title contender. Dangerous But not  strong enough. I want to here what 1 player you feel could take Lebron on the Cavs over the hump. I think he's coming closer and closer to M.J. Status. but he needs 1 Man to take big shots, but still submit to the King most of the time. Who would be the perfect Scottie Pippen For Lebron.

MJ status? This King doesn't have a crown let alone six. LeBron seems to have plateaued and regressed. From the Finals to a 2nd round exit. He needs a better coach that he will respect #1. Zydrunas only has 2-3 seasons at the most before he's done and then Bron Bron will be looking to move if Cleveland doesn't improve their situation. Too much hype for too little results so far. Barring injury the C's will own the East this year and next.

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
What the messiah needs is a more talented version of James Posey.  Posey is the closest thing to a poor-man's Pippen in the NBA.  Somebody who cares more about championships than he does his own role.  Posey isn't talented enough to fill a 40mpg role on a championship team but he is the type of player the messiah would need.

I'm with Kung Powe right now.  Although I'm sure there's a player out there.

What about Bruce Bowen. I think he's the poor mans Pippen. And Pippen was also dirty sometimes even tho sum people don't to admit it.

Although I find the Bowen-Pippen analogy a bit disturbing, I kind of agree. Replace Wally with Bowen in that roster, assume everybody is healthy, especially Ilgauskas, and they'll have a very good chance of winning it all.

I'd say give Lebron a bunch of shooters, and a scorer in the low post. Just give him someone with soft hands who can go to work down low, and some shooters to keep the defense honest. I'd say Kobe is sitting in Lebron's perfect situation right now.

Yeps:
Fisher
Vujacic/Ariza
James
Gasol
Bynum
6th man: Odom

Clear favorites to win it all, I think.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
[/quote][/b]

Bowen is Posey without the offense. 

The messiah is going to need a unique player.  There doesn't seem to be a Pippen out there.  A great player who won't take away any of the messiah's glory and fame while doing all of the dirty work so the messiah can both showcase himself offensively and play help defense only.

A Garnett-type player.

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
As currently constructed I don't forsee the Cavs as a title contender. Dangerous But not  strong enough. I want to here what 1 player you feel could take Lebron on the Cavs over the hump. I think he's coming closer and closer to M.J. Status. but he needs 1 Man to take big shots, but still submit to the King most of the time. Who would be the perfect Scottie Pippen For Lebron.

MJ status? This King doesn't have a crown let alone six. LeBron seems to have plateaued and regressed. From the Finals to a 2nd round exit. He needs a better coach that he will respect #1. Zydrunas only has 2-3 seasons at the most before he's done and then Bron Bron will be looking to move if Cleveland doesn't improve their situation. Too much hype for too little results so far. Barring injury the C's will own the East this year and next.

You do realize that last year Lebron averaged 30 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, and a block per game right? That the Cavaliers had no business being in the finals with Zadrunas Ilguaskas as there second best player? That he took us the defending champs to 7 games? and that he hasn't turned 24 yet? Right? Jordan didn't win his first title until he was 28.

Lebron has done plenty with his years in the League so far. I think the results have definitely exceeded the hype. I don't think anyone expected him to be where he is now 5 years after being drafted.

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 08:43:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You do realize that last year Lebron averaged 30 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, and a block per game right? That the Cavaliers had no business being in the finals with Zadrunas Ilguaskas as there second best player? That he took us the defending champs to 7 games? and that he hasn't turned 24 yet? Right? Jordan didn't win his first title until he was 28.

Lebron has done plenty with his years in the League so far. I think the results have definitely exceeded the hype. I don't think anyone expected him to be where he is now 5 years after being drafted.
And you still realize that LeBron isn't even the best player in the league right now, never mind being even close to Jordan as as an overall player, right?

How many very deserving First-Team NBA All Defense and Defensive Player of the Year Awards did MJ win? How many is LeBron likely to win?

LeBron is a talent and will someday win his championship or three. But let's not start putting him into the same category as Bird and Magic as a player just yet, never mind Jordan.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 09:23:09 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm a little surprised people haven't thought of this.  First before I mention my pick we have seen examples of when great players play with other great players it's less of an offensive burden and they can place a greater emphasis on their defense.   Look at our own Ray Allen.  Since he didn't have to carry his team on the offensive end he played probably the best defense of his career.  Look at Team USA. Kobe stepped up his defensive play as well as Wade which leads to why I am choosing Dwayne Wade.   Wade was a hound on defense in the Olympics.

Wade, when healthy, is in a class above Roy, Mayo, and Johnson as others have picked.   By playing together I think their individual defense will improve as they won't have to carry so much on the offensive end.   I also think Wade is a natural game closer while Lebron is a more natural all around getting his teammates involved type player (funny saying that as he averaged 30 PPG last year) but I still think that.   I don't think Lebron would have any problem deferring to Wade during clutch time.   They would probably be contenders for the next 7 years or so with them as cornerstones of the franchise.

Their outside shooting may suffer but as we have seen with other great players their outside improves as they get older for example Magic Johnson.  Plus you get find the John Paxons of the world to help spread the floor.

If I would go big probably Howard and if I were to pick a point guard Chris Paul.

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Chris Bosh. If he can make it all the way to the NBA finals with Big Z, imagine what he could do with Bosh.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 01:33:05 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
First post since the playoffs last year.  It's good to be back. 

Lebron is pretty much all set this year and I think the Cavs are gong to be a very real threat in the east.  This is going to be the first year he is not required to run the point to get any sense of offense established.  Mo Williams is more than capable of running the point and also happens to be able to shoot the ball.  Lebron has his spot up shooter, Gibson.  People look past him, but he was injured last year and never got into a rhythm.  He is healthy this year and is ready to spot up and hit 3s on a regular basis.  Please watch tape of Game 6 against DET in the Eastern Conference Finals 2 years ago for an example of what he can do.  If they need some defense and intensity they can bring in Delonte.  Mo and Z are going to run the pick and pop freeing up Lebron to work off of screens.  Celtic fans got a glimpse of what it is like to try and guard Lebron when catches the ball in motion, it isn't pretty.  Varejao actually looks like he cares this year, which will also help.  Of course, the Cavs also have a 12 million dollar expiring contract to bring in another superstar if need be.  I have a feeling the Cavs will be looking for a PF to bring in at the deadline.  Just not sure who yet. 

It is very hard for me to see anyone but the Cavs and Celtics meeting in the ECF this year.  Hopefully the Cavs make their short bank shot at the buzzer this year and take the series (well, hopefully for me at least).

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 03:05:39 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I think the OP was dreaming up realistic sceanrios involving players outside the Top 20. Of course Bron and Howard, Bron and Garnett, or Bron and Wade would be championship favorites, but how would Cleveland make that happen?

Just throwing this out there, but does James make the people around him worse? Wally, Wallace, Gooden, and Hughes got worse after arriving. Boozer did not blow up until he left. Mo Williams will be an interesting case study this season, since everyone expects the pairing to work well.

Before you point at the assists, keep in mind that Starbury average 10 twice during his career.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 03:22:48 PM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I think the OP was dreaming up realistic sceanrios involving players outside the Top 20. Of course Bron and Howard, Bron and Garnett, or Bron and Wade would be championship favorites, but how would Cleveland make that happen?

Just throwing this out there, but does James make the people around him worse? Wally, Wallace, Gooden, and Hughes got worse after arriving. Boozer did not blow up until he left. Mo Williams will be an interesting case study this season, since everyone expects the pairing to work well.

Before you point at the assists, keep in mind that Starbury average 10 twice during his career.

I beg to differ MA. Wally was never good to begin with, Wallace is washed up, and Gooden and Hughes are role guys, not second options by any means. Mo Williams will help LeBron considerably in the scoring department. If I were to pick a player to run with LeBron under the resrictions of this thread I would go with Shawn Marion, my ultimate pick would be Yao Ming.

"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 04:10:04 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Boozer was a stud in Cleveland during his final year which is why he got such a huge contract from the Jazz. 

Lebron can make players around him perform worse, but only because they have a tendency to stand around and watch him play

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
If Lebron could choose his sidekick, I bet it'll be Chris Paul

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 05:19:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

And you still realize that LeBron isn't even the best player in the league right now, never mind being even close to Jordan as as an overall player, right?

How many very deserving First-Team NBA All Defense and Defensive Player of the Year Awards did MJ win? How many is LeBron likely to win?

LeBron is a talent and will someday win his championship or three. But let's not start putting him into the same category as Bird and Magic as a player just yet, never mind Jordan.

That's where we disagree. I do believe Lebron is the best player in the league right now. Lebron's defense is pretty good and it won't be long until he's on the all-defensive team. And I don't remember putting him in the same category as those Magic, Jordan, and Bird. What I stated was that he's accomplished plenty in his 5 years in the league. I'm pretty sure you can't argue against that.

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 01:07:14 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
they just need a shooting guard with ankles
Joe is a dream
probably
Peja
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!