Author Topic: The King's Prince.  (Read 9044 times)

The King's Prince.
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:46:21 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
As currently constructed I don't forsee the Cavs as a title contender. Dangerous But not  strong enough. I want to here what 1 player you feel could take Lebron on the Cavs over the hump. I think he's coming closer and closer to M.J. Status. but he needs 1 Man to take big shots, but still submit to the King most of the time. Who would be the perfect Scottie Pippen For Lebron.

Re: The King's Prince.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:26:28 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I looked through the rosters of every team, and I do not see a player that could fill this role for Lebron. This player would have to be around Lebron's age, and play SG or PF. But, above all, Lebron's ultimate match on the court is a player who is a tenacious defender. I do not see any players who fit this criteria. I think he could have potentially had a great Pippen in Boozer. (Even though Boozer is not known as a tenacious defender.) Too bad Carlos chased the dollars and refused to play second fiddle.

So who is this under 26 player, who is a defensive minded guard or power forward to play with Lebron? I have no idea. I have looked through the rosters again and still have not found anyone who I think would be a good fit. I know there is no realistic way for Cleveland to land a promising all star. But just for kicks, lets scan through some of the elite players in the game. Guys like Iguodala Artest, Kirilenko, and Prince are good defenders but play Lebron's position. Guys like Horford, Jefferson, Oden, and Howard are not even close to being realistic. Guys like Carmello, Iverson, Gordon, Redd, McGrady, and Arenas are ball hogs and would not mesh with Lebron. Richard Jefferson? He plays the same position and is injury prone...

So after looking it over again, the best player to play along side Lebron would be Brandon Roy. Or, OJ Mayo, after he matures for a season or two. I believe Lebron is so good (Jordan good) He does not need a dominant big man to win titles. So I think the correct building move for Cleveland should be a defensive minded shooting guard, with poise, who can attack the rim, and shoot the outside shot with consistency. Lebron could play with Roy or Mayo for the next 12 years and the Cavs would be title contenders every year. However, they would obviously need solid role players on the team as well. (Think back to the late 90's Chicago Bulls.) Harper, Longley, Rodman. If Cleveland could find players to fill the roles that Harper, Longley, and Rodman filled for Chicago Lebron and the Cavs would be virtually unstoppable. They all ready a solid foundation of proven role players to choose from. West/Gibson, Varejao, Z/Wallace... all though Z and Wallace are all ready too old to build with a Roy/Mayo Lebron team. 

So how would Cleveland Get Roy or Mayo? Unfortunately for them it is impossible. Neither the GM of Memphis or Portland is stupid enough to let their best player slip away. All though McHale already has let Mayo go (a pathetic move in my opinion) and we all know Chris Wallace is a simpleton. So maybe anything is possible!

But, Honestly, I do believe if Cleveland were to get Roy, or Mayo in a season or two that Cleveland would be a better team than the Celtics. LEBRON IS THIS GOOD. I like Cleveland's chances against anyone in the league with a line up of West, Roy, James, Varejao, Ilgauskas. 

or West, Mayo (after a couple seasons of maturing) James, Varejao, Ilgauskas,

I do not believe Cleveland will ever get over the hump with acquisitions like Maurice Williams. (All though Lebron is good enough to keep them highly competitive) I understand it was a desperation move, but it is Williams contract that will kill Cleveland. It will kill Cleveland more than his selfish play. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:33:51 AM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:55:25 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Nice responce. I always thought Shawn marion would be a sick teamate for Bron, To me not a big deal that there both ideally suited for SF James can anywhere and marion can play 3 positions def. He needs a little more dominant 1 on 1 scorer, but marions defense and rebounding are pippen like. I agree about Roy though those 2 together WOW!!! I don't think they would need c longto much help, maybe Luke Longley, Horace grant and ron harper and Steve kerr off the bench. LOL

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:39:47 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I think Joe Johnson would be a good fit if the Hawks imploded again and wanted to move his salary. 

Gerald Wallace from Charlotte would be a pretty good fit, though they would have to go a little smaller and play one at PF.  Cha was looking to move him last summer, so he might be obtainable.

I also agree that he could play with Marion effectively.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 07:18:58 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Monta Ellis or Brandon Roy
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:02:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The answer to this question might be a lot easier than most think. Perhaps LeBron doesn't need a lesser sidekick ala Jordan because he just isn't nearly the player Jordan is. Maybe what he needs is a player just about his equal that will take a lot of the pressure off him like Kobe did. A real big "equal".

Like Dwight Howard.

If Orlando could ever clear up space in the next couple of years to attract LeBron when he gets free of his Cleveland contract, how could LeBron say no to the great Florida sunshine and a young monster of a center that could all but guarantee him a three-peat like the Shaq-Kobe Lakers of the 90's.

Edit: Major brain fart "Desmond" Howard. See what lack of sleep does to the brain.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:14:13 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:20:39 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
The age restriction - under 26 - makes this really difficult. Without it, the easy answer is Billups. Chauncey has range, plays great defense and is not affraid to take the final shot.

Maybe Wally, Gibson, and Hickson for Billups and McDeyess?

With the age restriction, I really like the Joe Johnson call. Roy and Monta are probably unavailable for the foreseable future.

J.R. Smith is a remendous talent, and is probably very attainable.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd say give Lebron a bunch of shooters, and a scorer in the low post. Just give him someone with soft hands who can go to work down low, and some shooters to keep the defense honest. I'd say Kobe is sitting in Lebron's perfect situation right now.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 09:02:58 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Dwight Howard, that ought to do it...

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Some friends and I were discussing this point yesterday.  I think as great as Lebron is, and he is terrific (I'd call him the NBA's best) he seems to be a tough person to build around.  He's not really a shooter so I think you would need a "traditional" 2 guard to take some of that heat away from him (Michael Redd).  I've always thought a Mo Williams or Delonte West type was the right kind of PG to pair him with.  You don't want a PG who dominates the ball b/c of how much goes through Lebron.  Instead a combo guard who can score in spurts but can also handle the rock.  Someone previously proposed Sean Marion as a good fit...but lets say for cap purposes (with Lebron & Michael Redd eating a lot of cap space) you need to go cheaper then that.  I think someone like Brandon Wright (if he ever develops) could be an athletic 4 who can score from the post  but also can clear the lane in order to give LeBron space.  I kind of like Ilgauskus for the fact that he forces opponents big men away from the hoop.

I think a starting 5 of

PG - Mo Williams
SG - Michael Redd
SF - Lebron James
PF - Brandon Wright
C - Zydrunus Ilgauskus.

with a good defensive stopper on the bench i think this lineup could be pretty deadly

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
you can give lebron any all star and he'll be all set.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
My favourite suggestion so far has been from nebist - Joe Johnson

JJ would be a fantastic sidekick for LBJ

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 10:44:50 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
you can give lebron any all star and he'll be all set.

Big Z is an all star caliber player, but I know what you mean...

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 05:12:23 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I could not even squeeze out a Tommy point with my first post on this thread....man...tough crowd. It took me a while to write that...however pointless it was.

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 05:17:23 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
What the messiah needs is a more talented version of James Posey.  Posey is the closest thing to a poor-man's Pippen in the NBA.  Somebody who cares more about championships than he does his own role.  Posey isn't talented enough to fill a 40mpg role on a championship team but he is the type of player the messiah would need.

I'm with Kung Powe right now.  Although I'm sure there's a player out there.