Author Topic: What Doc should do for Cleveland game in regard to cuts !  (Read 2004 times)

What Doc should do for Cleveland game in regard to cuts !
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:56:23 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think tonights game against Lebron James should be used for one thing only...let's see how Darius Miles, Brian Scalabrine and even Walker do against James.  I believe Walker is going to make the squad and like how he looks so far, I am quite interested to see how he'd do guarding Lebron.  If Walker can do a nice job we can loose a big and Pruitt is safe.
Miles, if he can't stay with James then he should be cut plain and simple.  He is the non contract guy and he's here mainly as maybe a posey replacement.  While Posey didn't really lock down Lebron he did help Pierce in that respect.  Now if Miles does a nice job and Scal can't do it then we have to look at his contract/trading in a multiplayer deal/cutting.
Doc its preseason, I know Pierce can handle himself against Lebron we need to weed out someone.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:02:23 PM by 2short »

Re: What Doc should do for Cleveland game in regard to cuts !
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:23:04 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Heh.. I was misleaded by the title. I thought the thread was about "cuts", like in rear-cut or backdoor cut. I was thinking it was a really random thread...

This is a pre-season game, as you say, so it's really hard to take those decisions based on it. For example, coaches are not trying to use the players to their strengths, oftenly they're putting them in difficult or odd positions, just to see their reaction. Many players, especially established ones, use pre-season games to the same effect: they can be trying a new move they developed during the Summer, or a new defensive technique, or just allowing their teammates to do more to know them better.

Scrimmages, practices in general and what they already know about the players will weigh much more in their decision of who to keep than the performance in pre-season games.

Anyway, Miles doesn't have a chance of slowing down LeBron (and until he improves his quickness, most, if not all, SFs in the league, by that matter) in a competitive game. Neither a rookie.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:33:06 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's true that Miles has no hope whatsoever of stopping LeBron, but to answer the question in the thread title I think Doc should give Miles some decent burn tonight to really see what he's got.  He hasn't played much in the last 2 games (<10 minutes each I think) and it's time to figure out what he's got, if anything.  In any case, expect LeBron's minutes to be not all that high so Miles will be going against lesser Cavs players.

I also expect Pruitt to get solid minutes.  He's the only other guy who may be in danger of being cut and I think Doc would hate to lose a decent PG prospect.

Bottom line:  To keep from being cut, Pruitt has to play decent which is what he seems to be doing.  However, Miles has to play more than just decent, he has to exceed expectations.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I like your thinking on this 2short. The only problem is that I dont think the Cavaliers leave Lebron in the game long enough for a decent analysis. I would definitely put Walker on him ASAP. Bring the kid back down to earth and also see how his maturity/self control hold up.

I think Miles is toast tonight on this match up. He might do a little better once he improves his conditioning, but he will be whipped like a dog by Lebron IMO. Scalabrine will do better than Darius at this point. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I should have added in if this means not starting PP to match up against Lebron so be it.  Let PP gets some minutes with subs and lets see how one of the other 3 do against James. 

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Throwing miles out their would be a good idea, we haven't seen that much minutes from him, but the stuff we've seen so far hasn't been too bad, but it's not enough. Having him cover lebron would be a good idea to see where he is at defensively, but having him play say a total of 20 minutes or 25 mins and seeing what he gets from that, we can then make a good judgement as to where he's really going talent wise. Btw i've watched that video of scal driving and missing the wide open layup 30 times, and each time I can't stop laughing.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!