Author Topic: Here are my own impressions of players up to this point in the preseason  (Read 4130 times)

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I'll update it as the preseason games roll along...

Pierce, KG, Allen... leaving off from their hot streaks in the LA series. Keep it going!

Scalabrine... crowd gets on him to shoot mockingly whenever he has the ball, and when he does fire, it's off. Always. Seriously, and this guy looks more out of shape than I've ever seen him before. And that's saying a lot. The body type card can only be played so much.

Pruitt... I know Tommy likes this kid, the coaching staff might be mishandling him. Pruitt is kind of like Mike James in that the offense he creates centers around his ability to knock down the 3 point shot. I know Mike James isn't exactly someone to aim for but Pruitt's game reminds me of his in some major respects. Pruitt isn't going to make it as a guy who's only being called two or three plays. Still my favorite pick for being cut.

Miles... I don't know what the 80-90% claims are grounded in with regard to his explosiveness because in all objectivity it's more like 10-20%. Still, he isn't the worst player on the team. But he also doesn't seem to want it. That's the impression I get from watching him. He's made a few good plays but on offense he kind of just stands around not taking an active part in the offense like I'm used to seeing everyone else doing even when they are not necessarily expecting to take shots.

T. Allen... I still see some of his bad habits re-appear from time to time, he still overdribbles and thinks too much when he is in traffic trying to create but all in all you have to be impressed with what he's manufactured in this preseason as a scorer and a versatile guard who also has reasonable vision. I haven't really studied his on the ball defense but it's not really something that can be seriously evaluated in preseason action. JMO.

Rondo... here's an interesting case, hopefully he just plays this way in the preseason but I've seen little out of him. He forces steals and turnovers but he seems too tentative to create his own offense like he was in spurts throughout the playoffs. Honestly we all saw to what extent Rondo is able to positively impact his team when he commits to driving the ball to the basket. But I think part of the problem with Rondo's conceived effectiveness is that the passes he's making isn't resulting in made shots by the recipient. So his assists column isn't sexy.

O'Bryant... here's a guy who I think will make a GREAT backup center to Perk. But I'll be honest, I don't feel good about him taking jumpshots and what not. I don't care what Tommy says, it just doesn't look good. At least Perk's 5 foot hook shots have a 60% of going in. But the O'Blount nickname should be eradicated until further notice because unlike Blount he hustles for the ball and seems to have a better instinct for making the right play for his position than advertised prior to signing here.

Perk INC
Cassell INC

House... he's been on FIRE... seriously. The people who continue to suggest that he should be benched in favor of Cassell or something because he doesn't have a handle should re-think their stance because House gives you so much and he's a straight out baller who gives you consistent three point shooting (For the most part) and he keeps the defense honest with his constant movement on the offensive end. Defensively he is no pushover either.

Walker... Okay, here is my most surprising one... I think this guy is O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll say it anyways. This guy is very athletic, but he is a stinker on offense and he seems to have no clue as to how to score. The raw athletic tools are there, but I don't see the other attributes that supposedly make him a great prospect. I think he's OK. Honestly I'd prefer seeing Giddens out there. Giddens likewise has shown me little on offense (the 2 airballs didn't help his case) but he rebounds well for his position and I'm intrigued by his ability to play lockdown defense, something Walker I think at this point is not polished enough to do.

I might be missing a player or two or three, but these are all the guys I wanted to mention because they're noteworthy. Whether you'd like to believe it or not, this team is drastically different from the '08 titlebound team. There is so much more youth, which could mean more up tempo play, points, and boundless action... OR it could also mean more careless play, which I've seen more of with the departure of guys like Posey and PJ Brown and addition of young guys. Thoughts?

Re: Here are my own impressions of players up to this point in the preseason
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
Pruitt should be cut? I think Pruitt should be the backup PG. He can guard bigger power 1s, has a decent outside shot and has made some nifty passes in the preseason. Are we watching the same games? He also has a guaranteed contract. If anyone should be cut, it's Sam Cassell. He can't guard anyone, is ME-First offensively, and slow as molasses. He also has a guaranteed contract.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Pretty harsh, TPD. But I appreciate your perspective and honesty. Thanks for bumming me out today!!

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:06:48 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I'll update it as the preseason games roll along...

Pierce, KG, Allen... leaving off from their hot streaks in the LA series. Keep it going!

Scalabrine... crowd gets on him to shoot mockingly whenever he has the ball, and when he does fire, it's off. Always. Seriously, and this guy looks more out of shape than I've ever seen him before. And that's saying a lot. The body type card can only be played so much.

Pruitt... I know Tommy likes this kid, the coaching staff might be mishandling him. Pruitt is kind of like Mike James in that the offense he creates centers around his ability to knock down the 3 point shot. I know Mike James isn't exactly someone to aim for but Pruitt's game reminds me of his in some major respects. Pruitt isn't going to make it as a guy who's only being called two or three plays. Still my favorite pick for being cut.

Miles... I don't know what the 80-90% claims are grounded in with regard to his explosiveness because in all objectivity it's more like 10-20%. Still, he isn't the worst player on the team. But he also doesn't seem to want it. That's the impression I get from watching him. He's made a few good plays but on offense he kind of just stands around not taking an active part in the offense like I'm used to seeing everyone else doing even when they are not necessarily expecting to take shots.

T. Allen... I still see some of his bad habits re-appear from time to time, he still overdribbles and thinks too much when he is in traffic trying to create but all in all you have to be impressed with what he's manufactured in this preseason as a scorer and a versatile guard who also has reasonable vision. I haven't really studied his on the ball defense but it's not really something that can be seriously evaluated in preseason action. JMO.

Rondo... here's an interesting case, hopefully he just plays this way in the preseason but I've seen little out of him. He forces steals and turnovers but he seems too tentative to create his own offense like he was in spurts throughout the playoffs. Honestly we all saw to what extent Rondo is able to positively impact his team when he commits to driving the ball to the basket. But I think part of the problem with Rondo's conceived effectiveness is that the passes he's making isn't resulting in made shots by the recipient. So his assists column isn't sexy.

O'Bryant... here's a guy who I think will make a GREAT backup center to Perk. But I'll be honest, I don't feel good about him taking jumpshots and what not. I don't care what Tommy says, it just doesn't look good. At least Perk's 5 foot hook shots have a 60% of going in. But the O'Blount nickname should be eradicated until further notice because unlike Blount he hustles for the ball and seems to have a better instinct for making the right play for his position than advertised prior to signing here.

Perk INC
Cassell INC

House... he's been on FIRE... seriously. The people who continue to suggest that he should be benched in favor of Cassell or something because he doesn't have a handle should re-think their stance because House gives you so much and he's a straight out baller who gives you consistent three point shooting (For the most part) and he keeps the defense honest with his constant movement on the offensive end. Defensively he is no pushover either.

Walker... Okay, here is my most surprising one... I think this guy is O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll say it anyways. This guy is very athletic, but he is a stinker on offense and he seems to have no clue as to how to score. The raw athletic tools are there, but I don't see the other attributes that supposedly make him a great prospect. I think he's OK. Honestly I'd prefer seeing Giddens out there. Giddens likewise has shown me little on offense (the 2 airballs didn't help his case) but he rebounds well for his position and I'm intrigued by his ability to play lockdown defense, something Walker I think at this point is not polished enough to do.

I might be missing a player or two or three, but these are all the guys I wanted to mention because they're noteworthy. Whether you'd like to believe it or not, this team is drastically different from the '08 titlebound team. There is so much more youth, which could mean more up tempo play, points, and boundless action... OR it could also mean more careless play, which I've seen more of with the departure of guys like Posey and PJ Brown and addition of young guys. Thoughts?

I think you make some good points on several of the players.  I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about Rondo?  Everyone wants him to be more aggressive but, lets be honest he's at best the 4th option out of the starters so he can only be so aggressive which is why I think he's the perfect fit for the C's.  His passing to me is getting better but, his assists totals will never be high with a guy like Pierce playing alongside him.  I also disagree somewhat with your opinion on Pruitt because you really only seem to be concentrating on his offense.  I think his best attribute right now is defense.  He's very long (ha) and athletic and gets his share of deflections.  He can handle the ball better than House and I believe he will end up being an above average 3 pt shooter.  I'm right there with you with House he's game changer and to me Doc's biggest mistake was taking out of the rotation against Atlanta. This team will win or lose with the best starting lineup in the league just like last year and a combination of guys will fill the void left by Posey and PJ Brown.  I actually think the infusion of more youth and athleticism will end up being a good thing by the end of the year.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:44 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Nice post, I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but a solid post none the less.

Pruitts done well, but he hasn't been aggressive enough with his offense until the last few games. Mike James was a way more aggressive guard offensively than Pruitt is. Mike would go hard and fast to the basket and the 3 point shot was great. I don't know who Pruitt reminds me of, but it's definitely not Mike James. He doesn't attack the rim like Mike James. His defense so far has been impressive I say he sticks around after some great preseason play.

I think Rondo has been impressive with his passing so far. He definitely hasn't been aggressive enough with his offense, and his finishing is still somewhat weak. He still needs to find the balance between passing and shooting.

Walker's offense is why he's been getting playing time. His offense is simplistic attack the basket. The simplicity of his offense is why I think he's been more affective then Giddens. Walker doesn't try to dance around or shoot jumpers(much) he just goes to the basket hard. His rebounding isn't based so much on positioning as it is on going after the ball, and since he's such an athlete he's affective at it. Defensively he definitely needs work.

I now think that Miles is the odd man out. Defensively he blockshots, but as we all know blocked shots are indicative of good defense. The effort has been there, but i haven't really seen the production.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 03:27:39 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:18:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I agree with the majority of what you said.

Pruitt sucks

D Mile just stands around... not thrilled with him in any way

Big Baby is a fat lazy bum who doesn't add much

Rondo is still going to be up and down.  I'm not expecting him to break out this season.

I'm not sold on Bill Walker.  He threw down a couple dunks.  Who cares.   

O'Bryant is better than expected, except that I expected him to be better than expected... so he's right about what I figured.  He'll be an ok backup

House is House.   

Scal sucks

And we're in good shape to repeat as champs regardless, because we have Kevin Garnett and his two allstar level sidekicks.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
All star year for Scal. Maybe in the running for MVP.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
All star year for Scal. Maybe in the running for MVP.

TP
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 03:04:59 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
Hard to judge the bench players after just 3 preseason games. Tonight the new guys should be getting some good minutes so after tonight I'd have more to say.

So far what I've seen:

Powe looks real good. We need to find 20 minutes for this guy. He's a banger inside that will get to the free throw line.

T Allen finally looks healthy. Should be a big improvement from last year and should be getting most of Posey's minutes. Not sure he'll ever have the smarts that Posey had but I think he'll do alright.

Rondo added some needed weight and looks confident out there. Techically this should be his rookie year. I think he learned alot last year and only gets better with experience.

Pruitt looked pretty bad in the limited minutes he's played. Looks like House has a better handle than this guy. That not good thing if you suppose to be a back up PG.

House has looked good. Everyone has said he can't dribble but his handle is underated. He got into trouble when Linsey Hunter locked him down, but Cassell was actually worse. So in all he's a solid backup to Rondo + gives that shooting touch that few players have.

Walker had a few nice dunks but I really think he hasn't had the playing time to really evaulate hime. Same with Giddens. O'bryant has looked solid.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:34:28 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

And we're in good shape to repeat as champs regardless, because we have Paul Pierce and his two allstar level sidekicks.

Edited by Edgar only on this post.
Fixed  ;)

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Can you modify his impression of Pruitt as well?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
TPD,

I caught my first game this preseason last night vs. the Nets. I could not disagree with you more strongly concerning your assessment of Pruitt, who is your front runner to be cut.  Granted it was only one game, but I thought this guy can play very well, contributing on both sides of the ball, good handle, great pressure D, very sweet strong, quick release. Frankly, the last guy I would compare him to is Mike James. He reminds me more of another player who was on the court last night, albeit for the other team, Devin Harris.  It is a bit unfair of me to correct you on your assessments, as they did not include last night's game.  Surely you don't think Pruitt will be cut at this point.  It just goes to show that there is still alot we (all of us) do not know, concerning who can really play and contribute, and won't find out until the season is well underway.

By the way, I thought Scal played quite decently last night.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
Last night Pruitt looked much better. The kid can shoot. I still think his handle is pretty bad, so I don't think he'll be backing up Rondo any time soon. As far as who gets cut, I'd like to see Cassell just move over to an assistant coach. We really don't need him. House is our back up PG.

On a side note, they weren't kidding when they said Jersey was real thin at PG after Harris. Dooling is an awful PG. No wonder that guy bounces around the league. His handles sucks and he can't pass.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 01:15:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Disagree with Acie regarding Pruitt's handle, based on last night. He seemed very much in control, and was able to take it to the hole.