Author Topic: CSN's Response to Cousy  (Read 8281 times)

Re: CSN's Response to Cousy
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Just the insight into the development of Rondo makes it worth having Cousy
on air.  We are lucky to have access to one of the top two or three point guards
ever to play.  As a  former PG myself, I enjoy hearing Bob Cousy talk about the decision making that an nba point guard goes through.  He may not know all the names, but he knows how to play the game better than most.  Bring him back!

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 01:37:31 PM »

Offline 12417

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
TP to you!! To anyone with a love of Celtics history Bob Cousy will always have a place at the table. I enjoy the stories that he shared as well as the connection to the past his presence brings to the broadcasts. Its a sad day for a franchise that values its past as much as the Boston Celtics to sweep away an icon in such a clumsy fashion.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
You can sit here and try to say only "diehards" will miss Cousy, and maybe you are right.  But before this year, the Celtics were a profitable franchise despite consistently landing the the NBA's basement.  That's because of diehard fans.

Go ask Miami how much money they make since they were a team devoted to casual fans.

Die hards keep teams, and the businesses like CSN that survive off them, strong in the lean times.  And the lean times are inevitable.  It's like they say in politics, you can bring in new votes but never alienate your "base".  Those are the ones you have to depend on.

CSN, forget my personal feelings on this.  It was a bad business decision.  Suckers.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 02:32:54 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
The decision to let Cousy go makes no sense to me.  I watch every game on tv, live out of the area, and enjoyed seeing him show up.  Financially this makes no sense, unless Cousey was asking for the moon.  10 games with interesting stories between Tommy and Mike seems small on the scale of big time sports money.  Not sure, but I thought he only would show at a home game...if that is the case then it makes even less sense since Marshall would not be at the desk anyway.  This does remind me of pushing Red aside. Bring back Cousey for #18. Backup PG may not be critical this year anyway.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
You can sit here and try to say only "diehards" will miss Cousy, and maybe you are right.  But before this year, the Celtics were a profitable franchise despite consistently landing the the NBA's basement.  That's because of diehard fans.

Go ask Miami how much money they make since they were a team devoted to casual fans.

Die hards keep teams, and the businesses like CSN that survive off them, strong in the lean times.  And the lean times are inevitable.  It's like they say in politics, you can bring in new votes but never alienate your "base".  Those are the ones you have to depend on.

CSN, forget my personal feelings on this.  It was a bad business decision.  Suckers.

Haha, are you going to stop watching the games on TV because of this?  If so, thats kind of pathetic...

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »

Offline Hondo to Rondo

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Last time I heard, Joe Kleine is in Arkansas broadcasting college basketball.  He'd be a nice addition.
"I hope y'all realize this:  with Larry ... one or two little moves, and we're ready to go!"  --Red Auerbach

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

Offline TheTruth34248

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • Boston Sports!!!
I feel bad that Cousy's feelings were hurt, but frankly, I am glad he wont be on anymore.  Putting aside the sentimental aspects, he was awful.  flat out awful.  he spoke like he had marbles in his mouth, and more importantly, he just didnt have enough knowledge of the team.  Its the same crap when you get the game on one of the other networks and the sportscasters see the team 2-3 times a year.  they just dont know the players and end up talking about skills players dont have and end up sounding like idiots. 

I'd rather have a sportscaster who is knowledgeable and can keep up with the team and actually offer insight rather then just a sentimental pick to get up there and talk about garbage.

Agreed 110%...VERY well said...I've been saying this for years, and people freak out for no reason...Honestly, he was an awful announcer. Period. Nothing against his legendary play or personality, but as an announcer, he was just terrible.
one lucky shot deserves another

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »

Offline lilbrady012

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
BRING DONNIE WAHLBERG!!!!

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
The people on Boston's sports shows are all pretty lame.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I feel bad that Cousy's feelings were hurt, but frankly, I am glad he wont be on anymore.  Putting aside the sentimental aspects, he was awful.  flat out awful.  he spoke like he had marbles in his mouth, and more importantly, he just didnt have enough knowledge of the team.  Its the same crap when you get the game on one of the other networks and the sportscasters see the team 2-3 times a year.  they just dont know the players and end up talking about skills players dont have and end up sounding like idiots. 

I'd rather have a sportscaster who is knowledgeable and can keep up with the team and actually offer insight rather then just a sentimental pick to get up there and talk about garbage.

Agreed 110%...VERY well said...I've been saying this for years, and people freak out for no reason...Honestly, he was an awful announcer. Period. Nothing against his legendary play or personality, but as an announcer, he was just terrible.

Regardless of whether or not you like his announcing or not (sure, it's not the traditional "mainstream" poopoo voice type of announcing), as some people actually quite enjoy the Cooz (myself included), the issue is the classlessness with which CSN handled the situation.  Not surprising to me that Comquest would do such a thing.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Sorry, you don't speak for all diehards. I am just as diehard as you, and I consider him not broadcasting an improvement.

Good business decision.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

Regardless of whether or not you like his announcing or not (sure, it's not the traditional "mainstream" poopoo voice type of announcing), as some people actually quite enjoy the Cooz (myself included), the issue is the classlessness with which CSN handled the situation.  Not surprising to me that Comquest would do such a thing.
How were they classless if he's the one that went public with it?  I love Cooz and didn't mind his announcing, but I thought he was the one that brought this out to the public.

Why can't they just not hire someone if they don't think he's worth the money?  I think he said he was getting paid 50K per year.  That's $5,000 per game!!!  No wonder he's mad!  I would be too.  I think he's coming off as a bitter guy who think's he's worth more than he really is.  I'm a die hard and I won't miss his announcing at all.  If Tommy or Gorman left I would be sad.

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Dear Daniel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to call us about Bob Cousy.  Many of us at Comcast SportsNet New England, including myself, are native New Englanders and we understand the importance of the team’s history in the hearts of fans across the region.
We have been honored to have Bob join Celtic legend Tommy Heinsohn and Dorchester native Mike Gorman on our broadcast team as the third man in the booth for ten games during each of the past nine seasons. 

For this upcoming season, we have made several changes and have opted to go with a two-man booth.  For personal reasons, Tommy will not do road games.  Donny Marshall, who last season proved himself to be a terrific addition to our on-air team, will fill Tommy’s shoes for road games.

We share your sentiment that Bob Cousy is a classic and important part of the Celtics’ history.  As such, we have offered to work with him to find other roles within our network.  Unfortunately, he has chosen not to accept that offer.

Respecting the Celtics tradition is extremely important to us. We have been the proud home of the Celtics for the past 28 years and it is the passion of fans like yourself that makes every one of our telecasts a privilege.

With another potential championship season on tap, I hope you will join Tommy, Mike, Donny and the entire Comcast SportsNet team in closely following the new season.

Sincerely,
Skip Perham
Comcast SportsNet

I don't know if anyone else got a letter back. I personally like Donny Marshall but I would rather someone with a Celtics connection. Again I would nominate JoJo White to replace Tommy

You know, as much as I would like to see Couz and Tommy stay, it could also be a great time to make a change. I love listening to Donny but would like to see it taken further and add Rusillo to the booth. Maybe ComCast could go with a home/away team. The home team could be Gorman/Heinson and the away team Rusillo and Marshall. Couz keeps his ten games at home.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 07:08:59 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Why can't they just not hire someone if they don't think he's worth the money?  I think he said he was getting paid 50K per year.  That's $5,000 per game!!!  No wonder he's mad!  I would be too.  I think he's coming off as a bitter guy who think's he's worth more than he really is.  I'm a die hard and I won't miss his announcing at all.  If Tommy or Gorman left I would be sad.

Comquest had to go public before people starting asking, "Where's the Cooz?" and they'd be forced to respond, "Oh we fired him as part of our Pink-hat campaign"

For your second point...WOW!  Claiming he thinks he's "worth more than he is"?  Give me a break!  Do you realize how little Cousy made back in the day for being as incredibly good and revolutionary as he was?  He was almost single-handedly responsible for popularizing basketball in America!  This guy ought to be a multimillionaire!  A tremendously talented individual, unlike the (unnatural) athletic freaks of nature that "revolutionize" the game today.  He will be missed on the air by fans of the game of basketball.

Give me a break!
God bless and good night!

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 07:31:19 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
He will be missed on the air by fans of the game of basketball.

I am a fan of the game of basketball and I won't miss him.