Author Topic: Larry Hughes  (Read 4254 times)

Larry Hughes
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:39:11 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Is there anyway we could get him away from Chicago I understand this is a little random but he seems to be an odd man out with the Bulls and he could come off the bench here and play good D like Posey and knock down the open 3. I am just wondering if you guys would like the idea of him coming to Boston...

Re: Larry Hughes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Is there anyway we could get him away from Chicago I understand this is a little random but he seems to be an odd man out with the Bulls and he could come off the bench here and play good D like Posey and knock down the open 3. I am just wondering if you guys would like the idea of him coming to Boston...

Unfortunately Hughes averages 13 mil per year over the next 2 - only way we get him is to trade one of the big 3, and that ain't happening
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 09:06:35 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Can't say that I do.  Injury prone, makes $26 million over the next two years, shoots less than 30 percent from deep and is a poor jump shooter in general.  I'm not sure he's all that great defensively either.  I want no part of him.
-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:42:34 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Bulls fans have been worried about his defense, and don't even want him on the court this year.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 10:04:09 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
To me he contributes what Marbury and co. bring to a team, i.e. disrupting the team concept, maybe not as bad as Starbury, but I don't really want him on our team.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Can't say that I do.  Injury prone, makes $26 million over the next two years, shoots less than 30 percent from deep and is a poor jump shooter in general.  I'm not sure he's all that great defensively either.  I want no part of him.
-sw
I can just never understand why fans care so much about how much money a player is making. Not liking a player is one thing. But what business is it of the fans how much money a player is making?

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

-sw
I can just never understand why fans care so much about how much money a player is making. Not liking a player is one thing. But what business is it of the fans how much money a player is making?

I think the money is more that we can't acquire him b/c of his contract, which makes him a negative and also a pipedream (or pipenightmare)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The guy requires to ball too much to put up numbers. He proved that in Cleveland. He might be better on a team like the Suns or Warriors, where he could shoot freely, but not here. And I heard a few times that he D was good, but I never saw it.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 11:03:02 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

-sw

The fact that there's a salary cap, and that, as cdif alludes to, this may impact the Celts' flexibility in other moves beyond acquiring a player like Hughes seems enough to merit mentioning the salary issue in my book.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 12:57:00 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The guy had ONE great season, his last year with Washington, and even that year he had injury problems.

Washington was smart enough to pass on him when Cleveland threw all that money at him.  Up until this offseason, I thought Washington was a very smart team when it came to money, letting both Hughes and Jared Jeffries walk.  That went out the window this year, I stil cant believe they paid Gilbert all that money.
Greg

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 04:26:27 AM »

Offline hankszabo

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
larry hughes?  no way!  hughes gets paid huge bucks, is injury prone, and has never won anything.  he can be a nice player when healthy, but the c's are set.  don't look a gift horse in the mouth:  tony allen will be a better player than hughes this year.  allen, at 26 y old, will have his best year now that he should see 20 or so minutes a night.  no more stupid, needless dunks. allen should have a big year, and hughes will miss his usual 25 games or so with an injury and be watching the celtics win #18...

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 06:53:15 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Larry Hughes is one of the worst contracts in the entire league (and a fairly bad player, especially because of his tendency to take bad shots, as others have pointed - he's one of those guys that can score but that you don't want him to when he's playing for your team). He has negative value in a trade, it'll be very difficult for Paxson to move him.