Author Topic: Paul Pierce better than last year?  (Read 2591 times)

Paul Pierce better than last year?
« on: October 12, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I was watching those 2 guys after the celtics game yesterday. I can't remember their names but if your living in NE you know who I'm talking about. I think his name was Tanguay or sumthin. But how exactly is Paul Pierce better now than he was 3-4 years ago disregarding his teammates around him. He used to play more above the rim in 1999-2002 but he doesn't really seem any different. The guy also said PP is better now than he was last year meaning June I guess. Any1 understand this?

Re: Paul Pierce better than last year?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
For starters he looks physically much better and he's shooting ridiculously well.  Ray is looking really good himself. His shooting form looks in top shape, and his mid-range game is looking better.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
For starters he looks physically much better and he's shooting ridiculously well.  Ray is looking really good himself. His shooting form looks in top shape, and his mid-range game is looking better.

I agree physically he looks much better.  Paul has said last summer was mostly rehabbing from his injury whereas this summer he could just concentrate on training and really didn't feel himself until April.  It's amazing how tough he is and he doesn't always get enough credit for it.  Same with Ray this summer that he could just concentrate on training. 

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics

Yeah Paul's three point stroke looks the best it ever has from this small sample we have.  I know he is working with Ray on his conditioning, perhaps he's been working on his shot with him as well.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 04:12:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I was watching those 2 guys after the celtics game yesterday. I can't remember their names but if your living in NE you know who I'm talking about. I think his name was Tanguay or sumthin. But how exactly is Paul Pierce better now than he was 3-4 years ago disregarding his teammates around him. He used to play more above the rim in 1999-2002 but he doesn't really seem any different. The guy also said PP is better now than he was last year meaning June I guess. Any1 understand this?

He has improved in the following areas.

1) Leadership
2) Defense

Playing above the rim is great for sportscenter, but showing leadership and defense while being a team force on offense is better for winning.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Yeah Paul's three point stroke looks the best it ever has from this small sample we have.  I know he is working with Ray on his conditioning, perhaps he's been working on his shot with him as well.

Was he really working with Ray? Or is that just an assumption? I think it would be great if Paul started working with Ray. I'm sure what ever Ray does could definitely help extend careers.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »

Offline Hova

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
do you guys think paul will ever start dunking and being aggresive like he used to be when he was younger?

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
do you guys think paul will ever start dunking and being aggresive like he used to be when he was younger?

You don't need to dunking all the time to be aggressive.  He was 17th in FTA in the league last year while he has gone down a little in that area I think he is still plenty aggressive. 

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »

Offline marseye

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • gwadada 971
il doit etre meilleur

we need him better ;D
I represent Guadeloupe n Ain't speak English very well/Xcuse me

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 08:13:07 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33

You don't need to dunking all the time to be aggressive.  He was 17th in FTA in the league last year while he has gone down a little in that area I think he is still plenty aggressive. 

Did you not see him driving to the hoop vs Ariza and Kobe in the finals, nobody wanted to take the charge.