Author Topic: Teams looking to get physical with us? OK!!  (Read 4188 times)

Teams looking to get physical with us? OK!!
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:17:45 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
If opponents want to start playing rough or dirty with us I think it works completely against their favor. 

Agree or Disagree?

Re: Teams looking to get physical with us? OK!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
If opponents want to start playing rough or dirty with us I think it works completely against their favor. 

Agree or Disagree?

I think when you name your son Tracy, you're guaranteeing that he's gonna grow up to be a sensitive tool who always feels like his manhood is being challenged and must constantly defend it.  8)

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think a lot of the teams are just trying to match our physicality.

Artest, of course, is a special case.

If you look at the McGrady hit on Walker, he was p---ed about contact a second before. That is hardly a plan to play dirty. It is just him getting carried away in the moment.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

Agree or Disagree?

Well now I have a justifiable reason why the Celtics should keep Scal.  He can be the goon! 

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 01:49:55 PM »

Offline gillyguyJG

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
If ANYBODY messes with Perk, BBD, or Powe they're gonna get knocked out.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Detroit, Houston, Utah, Caveliers, Wizards, and Philly.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

I don't see BBD as the intimidator type.  :P

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 03:58:16 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

Out of the three you named, I only see Perk as overly emotional. If anything Powe has been pretty mild mannered.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline stutterstep

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
Bill Walker is one intimidating edit "guy".

Let's try to avoid that term.  - Redz
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:30:48 PM by Redz »

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 04:38:15 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Bill Walker is one intimidating edit "guy".

Let's try to avoid that term.  - Redz

Actually, Walker is a second round draft pick.  He should conduct himself like one.  He's acting way too cocky.  Too much of a hothead.  Those screeches after dunks are going to get him taken out by somebody.  He should follow the example of Powe, Davis, and Pruitt and just play the game.  At this point, Walker's goal should be to impress coaches and not the fans.  Especially not his opponents.  The shots by a pansy like McGrady and by Yao is a shot over the bow.  Walker shouldn't act afraid.  But he should check the cockiness in the door earn his opponent's respect with his play.  Otherwise, somebody is going to take him out.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18
There are a lot of tough players and a couple of really physical teams but I feel like in our starters KG, Perk, and Pierce are definitely above average as far as power/strenght/intimidation goes.

Rajon looks a lot stronger I'm sure he's going to be a lot tougher now maybe Chauncy won't bounce him around so easily this year.

Off the bench POB looks solid + solid, long and strong and mean looking.  BBD and Powe are beasts, both powerful but both with mild natures as someone else stated.

Walker however has everything but a mild nature and definitely is looking to be physical off the bench.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Actually, Walker is a second round draft pick.  He should conduct himself like one.  He's acting way too cocky.  Too much of a hothead.  Those screeches after dunks are going to get him taken out by somebody.  He should follow the example of Powe, Davis, and Pruitt and just play the game.  At this point, Walker's goal should be to impress coaches and not the fans.  Especially not his opponents.  The shots by a pansy like McGrady and by Yao is a shot over the bow.  Walker shouldn't act afraid.  But he should check the cockiness in the door earn his opponent's respect with his play.  Otherwise, somebody is going to take him out.

Bill Walker earned respect last night when we got back up and got in T-Mac's face.  He essentially said, "yeah I'm a rook and I don't give a ****, I'm going to come at you if you come at me" .

That is how you earn respect, not crying and walking away.

As for pumping up the crowd with emotion after a dunk or good play, well what more could you ask for from a rookie comming off the bench?

Do you prefer the players that don't excite and feed energy into the other players/fans?

I personally prefer a 2nd round player not acting like 2nd round player instead acting like he is on the defending world champs and play with confidence and energy.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Bill Walker earned respect last night when we got back up and got in T-Mac's face.  He essentially said, "yeah I'm a rook and I don't give a ****, I'm going to come at you if you come at me" .

As for pumping up the crowd with emotion after a dunk or good play, well what more could you ask for from a rookie comming off the bench?

Do you prefer the players that don't excite and feed energy into the other players/fans?

Walker is freaking second round draft pick, incoherent.  He's not Paul Pierce.   But he'd benefit by looking a Paul's rookie films.  Respect is  earned  with  solid play on the court.  Especially by a rookie.  It isn't earned by standing up to a pansy tanking phony superstar.  Walker can do  the spectacular without the cockiness.  Let the bench celebrate.  Walker  should  be sprinting down the court defensively instead of screaching.  Act like you've been there before. 

The answers to your two questions:

-I would ask him to hit his free throws.  I would ask him to focus on the game instead of the crowd.  I would ask him to keep his emotions in check.
Instead of screaming like he's on a playground after a dunk, I'd ask him to sprint back on defense.  Garnett can scream all he wants.  He's established himself in the NBA.  Walker hasn't.   Standing up to a pansy like O'Grady accomplishes nothing to that end.  But dirty players like Artest are watching how Walker acts.

-I prefer players who win.  I'd rather see Tony Allen shoot a layup than a windmill dunk and exit for the season.  Incoherent, I might watch the replay of a spectacular dunk.  But I might not if we end up on the losing end of the scoreboard.

Walker reminds me a little of Pierce.  He would benefit by emulating the younger Pierce.  Especially defensively.  It's not Walker's place yet to be cocky.   

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:15:23 PM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Walker is freaking second round draft pick, incoherent.  He's not Paul Pierce.   But he'd benefit by looking a Paul's rookie films.  Respect is  earned  with  solid play on the court.  Especially by a rookie.  It isn't earned by standing up to a pansy tanking phony superstar.  Walker can do  the spectacular without the cockiness.  Let the bench celebrate.  Walker  should  be sprinting down the court defensively instead of screaching.  Act like you've been there before. 

The answers to your two questions:

-I would ask him to hit his free throws.  I would ask him to focus on the game instead of the crowd.  I would ask him to keep his emotions in check.
Instead of screaming like he's on a playground after a dunk, I'd ask him to sprint back on defense.  Garnett can scream all he wants.  He's established himself in the NBA.  Walker hasn't.   Standing up to a pansy like O'Grady accomplishes nothing to that end.  But dirty players like Artest are watching how Walker acts.

-I prefer players who win.  I'd rather see Tony Allen shoot a layup than a windmill dunk and exit for the season.  Incoherent, I might watch the replay of a spectacular dunk.  But I might not if we end up on the losing end of the scoreboard.

Walker reminds me a little of Pierce.  He would benefit by emulating the younger Pierce.  Especially defensively.  It's not Walker's place yet to be cocky.   

While I dont disagree with your comments Finkelskyhook, I would definitely add that someone, a coach or veteran player, is in Bill Walkers ear already about maintaining his intensity while keeping his composure. Keeping his head in the game and all that.

I think that we would rather have a scream out of young Bill Walker after a dunk than dancing around or taunting the other team. Either of those would certainly earn him a 'knockdown' or some retaliation.

Point is, emotion is great if channeled correctly. That is a learning process for many younger folks that I am sure is already in process around the Celtics camp. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I agree with Finkelskyhook.

I'm all for confidence, energy, "earning respect" and even some cockiness, as long as it doesn't undermine the team goals. I'm not interested at all in offering the opponent a technical foul for the sake of someone's ego, for example. Self-confidence is nice, but playing over-emotionally generally leads to bad things happening. Wait for the time-out to be exuberant and keep your head in place. I mean, if Yao Ming, or any other player for that matter, sets a hard pick on you, just take it like a man. It's basketball, sometimes it hurts. Giving a point to the other team is far from being a brilliant reaction.

Bill Walker has displayed emotional problems, often detrimental to his team, and to himself, in college. It was one of his main weaknesses as a college player and I never expected him to get rid of it without a sizeable amount of competitive practices and games under his belt. He's in a good environment to improve in this regard rather quickly, with Doc and the veterans taking care of him. Hopefully it will happen sooner than later. But until then, I'm not buying the idea that this is a good thing.