Author Topic: Scal Uncuttable  (Read 8189 times)

Re: Scal Uncuttable
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Lots of energy expended over a guy who will be one of 4 C's  who will play only in blowouts or if injuries dessimate the team. #s 12, 13, 14, and 15 are guys who simply won't play much. 

The only reason to care would be if Scal were taking a roster spot away from someone who a) has potential or b) would actually be a rotation player.  Seeing that 'b' would be silly (he is not remaining in favor of a guy likely to be in the rotation), let's look at 'a': Players with potential who might be on the bubble: Pruitt, Giddens, BBD.  I don't think Scal looks to be beating any of these guys for a roster spot and I doubt DA would cut any of these players in favor of Scal (though Danny knows best). On the other hand, the other 2 on the bubble are Sam and Darius. I don't see either of these guys as 'potential' guys -- they either still have it or they don't.  I trust the C's brainstrust to determine who of Sam, Darius and Scal is the least valuable to the team. 

My guess - Cassell will be cut as it makes sense for him to remain as coach/ practice player and be available as insurance if injury strikes, a trade creates a spot, or if one of the roster players doesn't pan out.

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 10:48:26 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Yeah - sign a guy to a guaranteed contract and then cut him...makes perfect sense to me.  ::)
God bless and good night!

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 11:16:56 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Yeah - sign a guy to a guaranteed contract and then cut him...makes perfect sense to me.  ::)

are you talking about cutting Cassell (guaranteed? not even sure this year)

or Scal

signed 3 years ago guaranteed... its not like we just signed him and then are cutting him, its that he didn't pan into the player we thought he'd be - I really think Danny felt Scal would be a 6th man here
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 12:44:21 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Makes more sense than cutting someone who will contribute more, if that is their justification.

I doubt Sam would have signed a non-guaranteed contract.

I will wait before getting down on Sam's first full season. He deserves a chance to go through camp with us.

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 01:32:31 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Yes, I was talking about Cassell.  His contract was guaranteed.  Like Scal, he will not be cut.

Your cut candidates are:
Pruitt
Miles (doubtful)
Walker (not happening)

That leaves: Pruitt.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

For reasons previously mentioned, with Cassell it does make sense -- especially if his contract is vet minimum (someone please chime in here who knows), since there is no added impact via luxury tax or cap. At about $1 million, what is the loss? Granted it's not my million, but I imagine Wyc, et al will sacrifice a million (actually they'll get Sam to coach and the net cost will be even less) if it means keeping a more talented player.