Author Topic: Scal Uncuttable  (Read 8227 times)

Scal Uncuttable
« on: October 12, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Unfortunately, the Globe set us straight: Scal won't be cut due to his salary:

"Wait and see: Don't be surprised if the Celtics don't make the one needed cut to get to the 15-man roster until the deadline day, Oct. 27. It also looks very doubtful that they will make a trade. Don't expect Brian Scalabrine to be waived since the Celtics wouldn't eat his salary."

Looks like either Miles is cut, or BBD or Giddens is traded for a future pick. Hard to envision any other scenario, especially since Gabe is starting to step it up.

Re: Scal Uncuttable
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
Uncuttable, perhaps... Unforgivable... perhaps...

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
It's really unfortunate that a player as terrible as Scal will be kept on our roster because of his contract. Miles is coming off of what was supposed to be career-ending knee surgery, and he still moves better than Scal and jumps higher. Frankly, I don't understand why the contract issue is even important. Scal will get his money either way, will not help the team either way, and is literally untradeable. There is not a team in this league that would take Scal as part of a deal unless he came along with Kevin Garnett. He has NEGATIVE value. He brings the worth of our trades DOWN. Scal and BBD for, I don't know, Hakeem Warrick, is something I can see being done because of this equation:

BBD + (-Scal) = Warrick

Scal doesn't belong in the NBA. I don't have a problem with him being in it, though, unless it impedes someone who DOES deserve the chance to be in the league from joining a team. Darius Miles functioning at 50% of his previous capacity is a better player than Scal. Someone please explain to me why money that will be paid to Scal either way should be the reason we keep him around. I'm at a loss.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Looks like either Miles is cut, or BBD or Giddens is traded for a future pick. Hard to envision any other scenario, especially since Gabe is starting to step it up.

People need to stop suggesting that Giddens will be traded, cut, etc...

He is a first round pick, in his first year.  There is absolutely 0 chance that he would be traded, unless someone offered a first rounder which is unlikely.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Unfortunately, the Globe set us straight: Scal won't be cut due to his salary:

"Wait and see: Don't be surprised if the Celtics don't make the one needed cut to get to the 15-man roster until the deadline day, Oct. 27. It also looks very doubtful that they will make a trade. Don't expect Brian Scalabrine to be waived since the Celtics wouldn't eat his salary."

Sounds like nothing more than specualtion regarding eating scal's contract.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:47:29 PM »

Offline gillyguyJG

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I wish Scal would be cut. He is a puzzle piece that just does not fit in our puzzle.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Uncuttable, perhaps... Unforgivable... perhaps...

unlovable...never
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 02:26:05 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I read where Wyc said that they make decisions for basketball reasons and not for money reasons.  I hope this will be one of those decisions made for the good of the team for basketball reasons and not for money reasons.  Scal simply doesn't add anything to the team and has no future potential as the young guys do.   Eating 2 years at 3 mill each shouldn't be a problem for a team that ate 3 years of Vin Baker's contract at 5 mill per year. 

My alternate scenario would be to cut Sam and immediately add him to the coaching staff since that is what he seems to be doing now anyway.   

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 02:31:12 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He's not going to get cut because he's an asset to the team.  Keep hoping.  But it isn't going to happen. 

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »

Offline RickyD Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
An asset to the team? That's a good one!

;D

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
He's not going to get cut because he's an asset to the team.  Keep hoping.  But it isn't going to happen. 
have you watched the preseason? i don't care how good of a guy he is in practice or behind the scenes its getting ridiculous. if he cared even a tiny bit about the team he would have come to camp in better shape.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Where did the 'et' come from?

Someone from the 16 has to be cut if there is no trade. An asset will be cut. The question is whether they feel that Miles has proven enough to get a contract for the season, forcing the Celtics to cut a guaranteed contract. If Miles doesn't show enough, then we go with the guaranteed guys.

Considering that the players who were ahead of Scal on the depth chart (BBD and Powe) have another year of development under their belt, Scal seems very unnecessary at this point. The only reason why management would consider keeping him is that they view him as someone who understands the defensive rotations.

I am not going to be presumptuous in saying that I can better evaluate Scal's performance than Doc or Ainge can, but his playing time seems to indicate that they don't think too highly of his ability to contribute.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 04:43:35 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Considering that the players who were ahead of Scal on the depth chart (BBD and Powe) have another year of development under their belt, Scal seems very unnecessary at this point. The only reason why management would consider keeping him is that they view him as someone who understands the defensive rotations. [/b]

Hello???  That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  That, and in a pinch, he's an adequate sub at 3 different positions and knows them all defensively.  Then there's his salary they'd have to eat.

He's not going anywhere.  The reality is that Scal looks awful on the court.  But as a rule, he doesn't hurt the team by being out there.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Considering that the players who were ahead of Scal on the depth chart (BBD and Powe) have another year of development under their belt, Scal seems very unnecessary at this point. The only reason why management would consider keeping him is that they view him as someone who understands the defensive rotations. [/b]

Hello???  That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  That, and in a pinch, he's an adequate sub at 3 different positions and knows them all defensively.  Then there's his salary they'd have to eat.

He's not going anywhere.  The reality is that Scal looks awful on the court.  But as a rule, he doesn't hurt the team by being out there.

This is it.  For all of his offensive shortcomings (ineptness, suckiness, whatever you want to call it), Scal is still one of the best defensive players they have on their bench.  He not only always makes the right rotations, but against certain matchups, he can be a shutdown defender (like against Dirk last year).  He is a guy that the coach can feel comfortable putting in the rotation if there are injuries, without worrying about the defense completely falling apart...unfortunately, you can't say that about some of the other guys on the bench.

Also, it is not just about "eating" Scals contract.  His contract also represents major flexibility.  They can use it to match contracts in a trade.  Also, if they just cut him, it removes any chance of gaining some flexibility to save luxury tax money next year.  In the NBA today, things like that are immensely important.  Just look at the Ratliff/Lafrentz deal.  It rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because it hurt the team immediately on the court...but it was necessary if they wanted to make a big splash later on (the Garnett deal).

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Also, it is not just about "eating" Scals contract.  His contract also represents major flexibility.  They can use it to match contracts in a trade.  Also, if they just cut him, it removes any chance of gaining some flexibility to save luxury tax money next year.  In the NBA today, things like that are immensely important.  Just look at the Ratliff/Lafrentz deal.  It rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because it hurt the team immediately on the court...but it was necessary if they wanted to make a big splash later on (the Garnett deal).

Its not major flexibility, its 3.2 mil this year and 3.4 next - Lafrentz and Ratliff had near max contracts, which was why we could use Theo's plus a ton of actual assets to get KG

we're not going to net a major player for 3 million dollars, because they just don't exist, unless they're under a rookie scale and a team would be foolish to trade a guy like that for veal...

while I wouldn't agree with eating Scal's contract, because it is a waste of money, its not a big enough chunk of change to alter the landscape of this basketball team one way or the other - and who knows, perhaps a buyout can be reached
When you love life, life loves you right back