Author Topic: Whats the feeling now? (Tony Allen)  (Read 5015 times)

Re: Whats the feeling now? (Tony Allen)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »

Offline stutterstep

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think the biggest difference that I have seen from Tony so far in the preseason is his willingness to slash to the hoop. He may have been lacking confidence in his knees, maybe in his game - whatever it was he seems to be over it. He is second only to Paul in his ability to get to the hoop and when he uses this it opens up the defense for his long range game. He has also been making very smart defensive plays as he is as quick and sneaky on that side of the ball as I have ever seen him. I think we all remember the Tony Allen pre-surgery ... I think we're about to see him again, improved and matured.

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I think the biggest difference that I have seen from Tony so far in the preseason is his willingness to slash to the hoop. He may have been lacking confidence in his knees, maybe in his game - whatever it was he seems to be over it. He is second only to Paul in his ability to get to the hoop and when he uses this it opens up the defense for his long range game. He has also been making very smart defensive plays as he is as quick and sneaky on that side of the ball as I have ever seen him. I think we all remember the Tony Allen pre-surgery ... I think we're about to see him again, improved and matured.

very accurate first post about a player i like very much
heres your welcome tommy point. :)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think the biggest improvement in Tony's game has been his control. We are slowly seeing Tony play within the offense. He is limiting his careless mistakes, turnovers, and ill advised field goal attempts. I am brave enough to say he has fully recovered from the knee injury mentally and physically. He is virtually unstoppable when he takes it to the basket. Tony has got his ridiculously quick first step back. I think his handles have improved as well. It will be more difficult for opposing defenses to strip the ball on his drives. On top of all this, it seems like his stroke has improved. I think Tony has a very solid mid range game. If Tony can become an average three point shooter that would be gravy. This guy is definitely 6th man quality. I think he could easily play the role Manu Ginobili played a few years ago for the Spurs.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 12:52:12 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I'm going to guess that ending the season on an ally-oop reverse dunk in the championship game is a good way to boost confidence.

"I was a part of it"

I hope TA continues plays tough D and forces his first step on the bench of our opponents.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Tony is a great player when he's got his head together. Right now Tony is in a good place mentally. I expect him to continue to do well as long as he's allowed to play through his mistakes, and get significant minutes.

I wasn't too happy when he was resigned, but I'm already changing my mind. I just hope he can stay healthy and confident.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Ive always been a huge tony fan and im glad hes finally playing well enough to quiet all the haters and doubters a lil bit. But i also do agree it is early and we will see what he does when it counts. And that is what i will judge him on. As for his first step i belive it is one of the quickest in the NBA even with the knee injuries but his dribbling has been horrendous. So if hes worked on the handles he'll be all right if not hes in for a long turn over prone year.

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The season is yet to begin, how can the feeling change?

an ACL injury is a hard thing to get over, but it seems he finally has. i expect great things.

I think the biggest difference that I have seen from Tony so far in the preseason is his willingness to slash to the hoop

I think the biggest improvement in Tony's game has been his control

I bet you can find very similar quotes to the aforementioned ones in numerous threads opened during last year.

Personally, I haven't seen much of a difference at all. Tony has always had good stints here and there through out his career, including after the injury. The real challenge for Tony will come with the playoffs, when the pressure explodes to very high levels, when every possession counts, when he's going to be on the floor along with 3 players who are better creating on 1vs1 than him, when he must be productive playing almost always off the ball... very different role he's used to. Hopefully he's going to do well, but I think it's one of the biggest question marks of this coming season. I'm giving exactly 50%/50% chances to each scenario.

He is second only to Paul in his ability to get to the hoop and when he uses this it opens up the defense for his long range game.

If Tony plays with this mindset, we are in trouble (unless he has improved his jump-shot mightily during this Summer, and we have no evidence of that). He should attack the rim when he has a clear path to it, he's nowhere near Pierce's level. His long range game should be limited to passing the basketball as soon and safely as possible whenever  there is a defender closer than 4ft when he catches it.

I think he could easily play the role Manu Ginobili played a few years ago for the Spurs.

Do you mean in Manu's rookie season? If he can play like that on the offensive end and keep his defense, he'll make me a very happy guy in June.

----------

I don't intend to sound offensive or disrespectful, but, from my point of view, I think most people I read on here are getting way too fired up, both positively or negatively, about what they are seeing in the pre-season games. To the point that your eyes playing tricks on you in some ways. Guys (and girls), just relax... pre-season is a very odd period, it's very difficult to get a decent grasp of what's happening on the court. As a coach, you aren't looking to win these games. As a player, you may have lots of different approaches to the games. There isn't much that really counts or matters. 10 games into the regular season, that's a decent sample to come to some meaningful judgments.

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 07:13:44 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Just my Opinion.

The only problem Ive ever had with TA, can be blamed on the coaches just as much as it can be on him.  The man is not a Point Guard.  I dont know how he ever was considered a PG, but hes horrible at it.  He cant handle the ball like a PG would have to.

That being said.  When TA plays HIS game, with confidence, creating havoc driving to the basket, then keeping the D honest by stopping on a dime and pulling up for the midrange jumper (which has improved A LOT since college and is underrated now), all of that stuff is great stuff from him.  I dont think he'll have any kind of problem being the 6th man on this team, as long as hes not asked to do stuff outside his game, like play PG.  Honestly, I think the ball being kicked out to TA on the weak side of the court when the defense collapes on Pierce or Garnett, so he can drive straight to the basket for a foul, can be just as much of a weapon as a James Posey 3 pointer.

The only, ONLY, worry I have about TA, is his size.  I'm worried about him having to guard big Small Forwards.  Yes, you could argue about how its really only an issue with one team, the Cavs, but thats a big team to have a glaring defensive weakness on come playoff time, especially on argueably the best player in the game right now. 
Greg

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tony showed he could knock down the 3 alot just before his injury two years ago. So I'm not surprised he is getting his stroke back or, more accurately, his legs back--shooters need their legs more than anything from long range especially.

I think he will get alot of minutes, because Doc will make sure that Pierce and Ray's minutes are cut down, to keep them fresh for the playoff run.  This need, along with strong sings Tony is back, will almost guaranty that he will get alot of minutes this season. Probably will clock the 5th most minutes on the team (behind the big 3 and RR).

I loved rookie Tony, but almost gave up on him during the Chicago incident, when he obviously declined, and struggled to recoup from knee surgery number one. However, when things started to really click for him, just before the second, more serious injury, I became aware of how valuable a player he could be. So I stuck with him through it all, and just felt he would eventually return to that place.  And it is looking more and more like he is. I have not been able to watch these preseason games.  Can you guys tell me that he is looking like that guy who was just killing it a couple of years ago before the knee injury? Sure sounds like it.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
The season is yet to begin, how can the feeling change?

an ACL injury is a hard thing to get over, but it seems he finally has. i expect great things.

I think the biggest difference that I have seen from Tony so far in the preseason is his willingness to slash to the hoop

I think the biggest improvement in Tony's game has been his control

I bet you can find very similar quotes to the aforementioned ones in numerous threads opened during last year.

Personally, I haven't seen much of a difference at all. Tony has always had good stints here and there through out his career, including after the injury. The real challenge for Tony will come with the playoffs, when the pressure explodes to very high levels, when every possession counts, when he's going to be on the floor along with 3 players who are better creating on 1vs1 than him, when he must be productive playing almost always off the ball... very different role he's used to. Hopefully he's going to do well, but I think it's one of the biggest question marks of this coming season. I'm giving exactly 50%/50% chances to each scenario.

He is second only to Paul in his ability to get to the hoop and when he uses this it opens up the defense for his long range game.

If Tony plays with this mindset, we are in trouble (unless he has improved his jump-shot mightily during this Summer, and we have no evidence of that). He should attack the rim when he has a clear path to it, he's nowhere near Pierce's level. His long range game should be limited to passing the basketball as soon and safely as possible whenever  there is a defender closer than 4ft when he catches it.

I think he could easily play the role Manu Ginobili played a few years ago for the Spurs.

Do you mean in Manu's rookie season? If he can play like that on the offensive end and keep his defense, he'll make me a very happy guy in June.

----------

I don't intend to sound offensive or disrespectful, but, from my point of view, I think most people I read on here are getting way too fired up, both positively or negatively, about what they are seeing in the pre-season games. To the point that your eyes playing tricks on you in some ways. Guys (and girls), just relax... pre-season is a very odd period, it's very difficult to get a decent grasp of what's happening on the court. As a coach, you aren't looking to win these games. As a player, you may have lots of different approaches to the games. There isn't much that really counts or matters. 10 games into the regular season, that's a decent sample to come to some meaningful judgments.

I agree with most of what you said here with the exception of the role differential you're talking about...Tony will probably see most of his minutes as the primary on-ball playmaker off the bench if he is the 6th man...during the times he is on the court at 2 guard with Pierce and the other starters his role would be different, but I think Doc is looking at him to be the focal point of the offense on the 2nd unit...

...and though the preseason is definately not the time to jump to conclusions, Tony's ball-handling does look much tighter so far-never seen him get that low and  really "hammer nails" with his dribble...