Author Topic: Whats the feeling now? (Tony Allen)  (Read 5016 times)

Whats the feeling now? (Tony Allen)
« on: October 11, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
I'm not an I told you so kind of guy.

And its also still early to say.

But maybe, just maybe, the majority of people on this site were wrong about Tony Allen.

The only reason I bring it up is because I love how everyone bashed him over and over again. 

I defended him, and told you all how difficult it was to come back from the injury he sustained.  That he would be much better now that he is nearly 2 years on from the injury.

I just get frustrated because there is post after post about how bad he is.  When he plays well theres nothing. 

I just think he deserves a little credit.  He's playing fantastic.  Defense is great, he is getting to the hoop, and he's doing a pretty [dang] good job passing too.
Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

Re: Whats the feeling now? (Tony Allen)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I like Tony too, and I thought that was a great re-signing to bring him back, especially at that money.  But 2 preseason games in is no time to do an "I told you so".  Why don't you just enjoy his play and hope that he keeps it up and continues to improve?

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
TA will be the assassin of the 2nd unit.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:14:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I will stick with what I have been saying for the last year...when he shows that he can play a consistent role, and keep his focus on a championship level team, then we can talk. 

Right now, I know nothing more than I did a year ago.  I already knew that he could be a hell of a player when he is given major minutes, and the green light offensively.  But he has yet to prove he can succeed as a role player, which is what he needs to be on this team.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 19
Tony's biggest flaw since he has started has been his handle.  In past years I can't count how many times Tony has blew past his man on the first step... only to bounce the ball off his foot and out of bounds. 

Last night though he looked like a new man.  He was crossing people up and showing some really impressive moves, not to mention his 3 pointers which I can't really recall him shooting too much before. He really seems to be becoming the confident, versatile player he has shown glimpses of in the past.

However, that was also against the Cavs 2nd and 3rd squad.  I know TA is a lockdown defender and will always be, but I would like to see how his offense fairs against more premier defenders... :-\
New England Sports... Feel the Beastmode-ness!

-city of champions-

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I hope his health and confidence is back to 100%.  A couple years ago before his injury he showed some signs of being a consistent player.  I don't think much of a preseason game, but hopefully he can be a consistent help this year.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I haven't been watching, but how much time has he played with the starters?   When he is the 3rd or 4th option on the floor.  When he isn't going to have the ball in his hand and needs to be ready to hit jumpers. 

And what does 3 TOs a game mean?  It sounds to me like he has had the ball in his hands to much.

What he does in meaningless games does not tell us what he is going to do in important games. 

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
He looked good and productive in his role at those minutes, relieving my hesitations.

But the problem seems to be he needs starter like minutes to get into the flow of the game, which I understand being a player; Needing touches and working up the lather to achieve a comfortable "zone" altered state mindset. I hope he can continue to be as productive on par with fewer minutes, as he showed he is capable of last night. I'm encouraged at those prospects!
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 04:27:22 PM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 19
I haven't been watching, but how much time has he played with the starters?   When he is the 3rd or 4th option on the floor.  When he isn't going to have the ball in his hand and needs to be ready to hit jumpers. 

And what does 3 TOs a game mean?  It sounds to me like he has had the ball in his hands to much.

What he does in meaningless games does not tell us what he is going to do in important games. 

He has been playing Ricky Davis minutes as the go to guy for the 2nd/3rd unit.  I don't have the exact stats but last night it was something like..

42 mins... 25 points... 3 assists.. 3 steals

You have to watch him though to see the difference... he really is moving better than I have seen in a long, long time.
New England Sports... Feel the Beastmode-ness!

-city of champions-

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 05:45:34 PM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
I have to say firstly that I didn't see the game either. But his shooting statline was 6-7 from the field with 13-16 FT, so it isn't like he's heaving up a bunch of shots being the only option on the 2nd/3rd team and given the incredible number of free throws he's probably overcome his cautiousness to go hard to the rim.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 06:00:37 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
I will stick with what I have been saying for the last year...when he shows that he can play a consistent role, and keep his focus on a championship level team, then we can talk. 

Looks like were talking right now Chris.

as far as, when he is the fourth option on the floor. yadi yadi.  I'm not talkin from a statistic point of view.  I coach college basketball here in the great city of Boston for a living.

I'm seeing a different Tony Allen on the court. Statistics aside.  He is a different player.

Don't talk to me about Tony if your looking at the stat sheet.  Watch his offense, watch his decision making, and watch his defense (especially off the ball)

and then, and only then, "we can talk."

over and out
Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Tony Allen looked like Dwayne Wade with that 1st step last nite. He can be our new 6th man if he keeps it up.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 06:08:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Right now, I know nothing more than I did a year ago.  I already knew that he could be a hell of a player when he is given major minutes, and the green light offensively.  But he has yet to prove he can succeed as a role player, which is what he needs to be on this team.

I'll disagree only slightly.  A year ago, I would not have felt as confident in his athleticism as I do after watching him last night.

We've heard this before, but he really did look athletically like the old TA. The
'handle' issue is unresolved as he'll need to show that he can be under control playing against regular rotation guys, but he did look more under control with the ball last night. And again, he looked more like an effortless athlete, unlike the extra effort he seemed to have to make to compensate for post-injury struggles.  The mental and phyical may go hand in hand with Tony -- as he focuses less on being the 'old Tony', perhaps his mental energy will be back where it needs to be, resulting in better decisions on the court.

Encouraging, but obviously not enough data yet.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Just as most said,not enough play to say'i told you so".Also these games are more for evaluating,etc...and he was basically running with the scrubs.Now,tonight aganist the Rockets,TA services were needed after Artest mugged Pierce,what did he do?...got 3 fouls in 4minutes,0 pts,went back to the bench.This was a time of need more than just evaluating or showcasing talent.If he is going to be the man in a 6th man role,he has to stay on the court in situations llke these.I know this is a preseason game,and it is only 1 isolated situation,but i wouldn't get ahead of myself in his contributions yet.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
an ACL injury is a hard thing to get over, but it seems he finally has. i expect great things.