Author Topic: CSN fired Cousy!! CSN Bring him back for his 10 Games!  (Read 13493 times)

Re: CSN fired Cousy!! CSN Bring him back for his 10 Games!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 11:35:50 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
good riddance!
He was a curse anyway and he only went to games in FLA or against FLA teams.
and does anyone on earth have a more annoying voice than Cousy?
Fran dresher thinks hes annoying.

He's out of touch,the guy invented the behind the back dribble for god sake. He's 80!!

Mike and Tommy will be fine without him.

It won't be Mike and Tommy.  Half the time it will be know-it-all Donny Marshall, who played once a long time ago in CT during college, the only remote connection he has to the area.  He looks good and can speak clearly, but this guy finds many words to say nothing.  He is more suited to the SportsCenter anchor desk than being a broadcaster for the most successful franchise in NBA history.  What exactly did Donny do leading up to getting this high-profile gig?  Do any fans even remotely associate him with the Celtics?  What experience does he bring that allows him to do analysis?  Being smooth with an easy delivery might translate well into play by play, but analysts have to actually analyze something, not just smile, chuckle, and try to convince us all what a great player he was.  Like when Gorman asked him about free throw shooting, and he said without blinking, he was "excellent" at it, prided himself on it, etc., never mind the facts getting in the way that he was under 70% in his few games in the NBA. 

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 11:53:40 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Cousy was refreshingly brutal concerning Rivers' and Brown's ineptitude and the disgraceful display of basketball we were all subjected to in the first three years of Rivers' regieme.  Tommy and Mike tried to find homerism positive in some way.  But it was a team with no development and no direction.  Cousy was refreshing in pointing out the obvious and not defending it.

It's sad to see a national treasure to our storied past get cast aside.  It's sad to see Tommy reducing his schedule. 

Marshall isn't half-bad.  It would be nice if one of our legends took over for Tommy's half and for Cousy.  Where's Fred Roberts these days?

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 12:03:34 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
good riddance!

He's out of touch,the guy invented the behind the back dribble for god sake. He's 80!!

Asinine! Jointhebombsquard's comments are totally asinine.

I am guessing that at best you're not even out of high school of yet, because if you were and if you had any grasp of Celtics, no make that basketball history you would know that Bob Cousy knows more about hoops than 97% of this board combined.  Combined, we can't hold a candle to Bob Cousy when it comes to the Celtics and basketball.

Bob Cousy is "Celtics Basketball".  Bob Cousy is "The patriarch of the Celtics family".  Bob Cousy defined the role of the point guard in the NBA, he wasn't just a great point guard in the NBA he defined how the role is played.

Since the early 80's I have been watching the Celtics and I honestly believe that there hasn't been more than a handful of games in which I didn't learn at least 1 thing from Cousy about the game or about the Celtics family.

Not having Cousy continue to play a small role in the broadcasts, is shortsighted at best by the suits at Comcast, but to call Mr. Celtics a "curse", "out of touch" and "annoying" makes you clueless and due to board rules, I'll leave it at that.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I appreciated the fact that cous was a c's legend, but honestly he was awful - he had little knowledge of current day NBA players, he'd drone on and on and often times make little to no sense - he's getting older and really doesn't fit in as a broadcaster (and hasn't for the last 10  years) - so hopefully we'll remember cousy as the player not the broadcaster, just like Tommy as the player and coach (I won't go into my feelings on Tommy the broadcaster, this isn't the place for it)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Wow, this is an outrage. You don't fire Bob Cousy from working with the Boston Celtics. You just don't. Especially when we're finally winning again, as he eluded to in his quotes.

It's not as if he was doing a bad job, either. He rarely appeared as it is, and most loved when Cooz joined the broadcast. I personally loved listening to he and Tommy reminisce about all these old stories they had. But now, that's over, and I think this is "ridiculous! absolutely ridiculous!" in Tommy's words.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 12:56:35 PM »

Offline Jointhebombsquad

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
good riddance!

Asinine! Jointhebombsquard's comments are totally asinine.

I am guessing that at best you're not even out of high school of yet, because if you were and if you had any grasp of Celtics, no make that basketball history you would know that Bob Cousy knows more about hoops than 97% of this board combined.  Combined, we can't hold a candle to Bob Cousy when it comes to the Celtics and basketball.

Bob Cousy is "Celtics Basketball".  Bob Cousy is "The patriarch of the Celtics family".  Bob Cousy defined the role of the point guard in the NBA, he wasn't just a great point guard in the NBA he defined how the role is played.

Since the early 80's I have been watching the Celtics and I honestly believe that there hasn't been more than a handful of games in which I didn't learn at least 1 thing from Cousy about the game or about the Celtics family.

Not having Cousy continue to play a small role in the broadcasts, is shortsighted at best by the suits at Comcast, but to call Mr. Celtics a "curse", "out of touch" and "annoying" makes you clueless and due to board rules, I'll leave it at that.

Sure your entitled to you opinion of the guy.
I know cousy was a great player,but so was isiah thomas.
He knows more about basketball than 98% of this board because hes been around the game for 70 years!!!!
(but that Doesnt mean he can verbalize it.)
I dont like hearing him slur his words,and down grade the current celtics, sorry!
I understand he was a celtics legend,But who gives a ****.
I wouldnt let the guy work on my car because hes got championship rings,get your head out of your *ss.

If i'm wrong, tell me why hes getting fired?
No,I'll tell you:
its because he puts people to sleep,mispronounces names and hes only around for 10 games!

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I know cousy was a great player,but so was isiah thomas.
He knows more about basketball than 98% of this board because hes been around the game for 70 years!!!!
(but that Doesnt mean he can verbalize it.)

Cousy verbalizes just fine.  I don't know if it's the fact that he's critical is what bothers you.  But the reality is today's player, as a whole, isn't close to being fundamentally sound as Cousy and players of his generation were.  He sees things that we don't because he knows the game better.  The best thing about Cousy is that, unlike Tommy and Mike,  he calls what he sees and doesn't sugarcoat it.  Cousy is a lot like Tommy was as a CBS commentator in the 80s.

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »

Offline JS33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
This is despicable .

Everyone needs to contact Comcast
and let them know that this unacceptable
to us.
I Pity the Fool !!

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
people hate on cousey's broadcasting... i can't say i'm a huge fan of it but having him around isn't bad. he called it the way it was: when the celtics were terrible, he said it. i like him more than this marshall wannabe, who just brags about himself all the time. at least when cousey talks about himself, he's actually accomplished something.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 01:49:12 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
This is what's wrong with corporate America...The people in charge have no clue about basketball...Bob Cousy is a HUGE part of The Celtic's Legacy.....These guys would fire Red and Bill Russell-cause they didn't have perfect cookie cutter techniques.

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »

Offline Jointhebombsquad

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
the reality is today's player, as a whole, isn't close to being fundamentally sound as Cousy and players of his generation were.  

agreed!
 also I understand the criticism,but when its all negative,its just irritating.
unless its about scal... then its just funny.

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
This is ridiculous. I wonder if Comcast hears enough complaints if they will bring him back. Cousy may not speak well but he is honest and funny and knows basketball. Im sorry but I learn a lot more with Cousy commentating than I do with Donny Marshall trying to strattle the line between proving himself to C's fans and trying to sound unbiased. I mean I don't mind Donny and think he is decent but he namedrops far to much. Very disrespectful by Comcast.

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
From some of the posts I'm reading here I want people to know that this is not about whether or not Cooz is a good announcer. It's about RESPECT. It's about what Bob Cousy means to the Celtics and to the game of basketball. I became a fan because of Cooz. Because I became a fan I got cable so I could watch Larry Bird play. Because of Cooz and others (under the leadership of Red Auerbach) basketball was introduced to New England and the World. Without Cooz and others the NBA would not be what it is today and Comcast would not be making the money from it that it does. I also sent an email to the Celtics, thru their websites, asking them to let Cooz know that we fans are quite upset. I also thanked them for showing what CLASS is because they will be presenting Cooz with a 2008 Championship ring. This is what it's about,

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
Hate to see it go down like that.  Cooz deserves a lot more respect than that.  As an anouncer, he was o.k., and like Tommy, you never knew what was going to come out of his mouth.  My brother caught more of them then I did, but the Cooz did let slide some racey figures of speech occationally, and increased exposure to the team may have been a concern to the network. 

The #1 thing here, though, is that the network showed a real deep lack of tact and respect with how they dealt with this, and I am glad the blog posted this, so the network can see it's fan base is disappointed.  Why can't big businesses leave more room for treating people with dignity, [dang]-it!

go celts!
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
I just sent my message, hopefully they get trounced by emails.