Author Topic: It's time to focus on what's really important  (Read 2519 times)

It's time to focus on what's really important
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:26:35 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
A few weeks ago, I re-entered the CelticsBlog world after a happy summer spent away from the computer. For the most part, the topic on the forums has been the last spot on the roster. I, like most of the people on this blog, find the talk of rookies and the 15th man interesting. In fact, our relentless efforts to figure out how Danny and Doc plan on turning 16 players into 15 by the end of October are what separate us from the rest of New England sports fans, who will put the Cs on the back burner until the MLB playoffs are over and the basketball regular season has begun. But that being said, don't you think we need to turn the majority of our attention to the important stuff, like, say the core of our team? Doc? Rondo's development? Ray's health? The Big Three's age? Come on people - it's time to start criticizing again! The honeymoon period is over with this team. It's not like all the questions we spent months and months debating last year are just going to disappear because we won one stinkin' championship! I'm hungry for some good old Doc bashing! How about someone questions Rondo, and talks about how he played horribly for a good portion of last year's playoffs? Is there anyone out there who still thinks Perk stinks? There must be someone. I'm all for talking about Scal, Giddens, O'Bryant, and Miles, but I'm going to go crazy if they're the only thing we're going to talk about between now and opening night.

Agreed?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Re: It's time to focus on what's really important
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:44:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Random thought responses...

Besides Perk, the starting five has looked smooth as butter in limited minutes in the preseason.  Perk's shoulder is a concern.  I wish Posey was still here, but I understand why he's not.  I'm concerned who is going to take on Posey spiritual leader role (and I don't feel it was any small part of last years success).

The starters age isn't a huge concern to me.  They all seem ready to go.  I expect better things from Rondo on a more consistent basis.

The big stuff is still solid.

So, who do you like for 16th man? ;)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
TP

Bring back Gerald Green and Antoine!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
oh..... from reading the thread title, i thought it was going to be about beer.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 07:35:04 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If healthy, I do not worry about the starting 5.

I do worry about the C position if Perk is out.

I really do not worry about the regular season right now.  There is enough talent that this team is a top 2 seed. 

I do worry about the bench come playoff time.  I also worry if the bench doesn't play up to a standard the team expects, the starts could end up playing to many regular season minutes. 

But then, I expect Ainge to address all bench issues this season with a trade or two.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Wide Load -- it might be time to change the picture in your signature.

Or are you really that stubborn?

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
A few weeks ago, I re-entered the CelticsBlog world after a happy summer spent away from the computer. For the most part, the topic on the forums has been the last spot on the roster. I, like most of the people on this blog, find the talk of rookies and the 15th man interesting. In fact, our relentless efforts to figure out how Danny and Doc plan on turning 16 players into 15 by the end of October are what separate us from the rest of New England sports fans, who will put the Cs on the back burner until the MLB playoffs are over and the basketball regular season has begun. But that being said, don't you think we need to turn the majority of our attention to the important stuff, like, say the core of our team? Doc? Rondo's development? Ray's health? The Big Three's age? Come on people - it's time to start criticizing again! The honeymoon period is over with this team. It's not like all the questions we spent months and months debating last year are just going to disappear because we won one stinkin' championship! I'm hungry for some good old Doc bashing! How about someone questions Rondo, and talks about how he played horribly for a good portion of last year's playoffs? Is there anyone out there who still thinks Perk stinks? There must be someone. I'm all for talking about Scal, Giddens, O'Bryant, and Miles, but I'm going to go crazy if they're the only thing we're going to talk about between now and opening night.

Agreed?

So you want us to complain? Everyone from last year came into camp in shape, . . . well, Scal never is in shape. The starting four look solid.  It's apparent that Doc is looking for someone to replace Posey. Rondo is better, Paul is better, Pruitt is better.  If Walker develops an outside shot and his knees hold up we have the steal of the draft.  Powe and BBD look about the same, though their play should continue to demonstrate confidence. POB looks like a good back-up, and hopefully will work.

There's just not a lot to complain about.  Things will heat up when talks begin about extensions for Powe and BBD.  Until then, . . . this was possibly the most incredible football weekend in years. Both pro and college.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Wide Load -- it might be time to change the picture in your signature.

Or are you really that stubborn?

No.  It is perfectly fine the way it is.