Author Topic: How can Doc defend Scal and dog Miles?  (Read 13658 times)

How can Doc defend Scal and dog Miles?
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:43:27 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
How can Rivers defend Scal in his post game interview after the Cleveland game? Rivers, when asked about Scal, said something to the effect that "Scal changed the whole defense around." 

When Doc was asked about Miles, Doc bluntly said Miles just played bad. I do not see how Miles got enough playing time to "play badly." I'm not a big Miles fan, nor do I think he will make the team. I just do not see how any coach in their right mind can put down Miles and defend Scal's dismal performance. Scal was a walking disaster tonight on the court. Scal's brand of basketball tonight was hilarious yet embarrassing. Why is Scal being rewarded for atrocious play and Miles being punished for barely playing?

Re: How can Doc defend Scal and dog Miles?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 11:06:41 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Both played poorly.

The difference is that one of them has a guaranteed contract and maybe roster spot and the other doesn't have anything guaranteed.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:06:58 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
good question.
 i was at the game, and noticed that even the five year olds in my section were yelling for scal to be taken out. pretty bad.
 he's become the definition of "laughingstock"

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
How can Rivers defend Scal in his post game interview after the Cleveland game? Rivers, when asked about Scal, said something to the effect that "Scal changed the whole defense around." 

When Doc was asked about Miles, Doc bluntly said Miles just played bad. I do not see how Miles got enough playing time to "play badly." I'm not a big Miles fan, nor do I think he will make the team. I just do not see how any coach in their right mind can put down Miles and defend Scal's dismal performance. Scal was a walking disaster tonight on the court. Scal's brand of basketball tonight was hilarious yet embarrassing. Why is Scal being rewarded for atrocious play and Miles being punished for barely playing?

Well coaches don't always see the things that fans do in a game simply due to the heat of the moment. That's why there are video sessions nowadays.

But also, Doc and other coaches are known to say bad things about players to motivate them to improve, and giving false ideas to the public is not a bad thing to do on the team's perspective. Maybe Doc and Danny are trying to improve Scal's stocks to trade him.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 11:18:04 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
you have a point here  ::)

sadly i think Scal deserves his own book...lol
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
TP for a good thought kw10. If Rivers dogged Scal as he easily could have, then what team would think about trading for him. Even though I know half the league knows Scal is garbage, some team will be dumb enough to accept his contract (bobcats?).
Tony Allen obviously was great, but I would like to see Miles getting more minutes over Scal for experience with the system. I'd hate for him to play in the season and mess up soon and get benched the rest of the time.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I don't have a problem with the minutes tonight.  There's another game tomorrow, and I'm sure we'll see some differences in the minutes played.

I don't know what Doc sees in Scal. Another really bad game.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:39:10 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
ure right theres another game tomorrow

hopefully we will see a LOT more Darius and a lot LESS scali.

just to make a better idea of whats going on.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 12:11:59 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Hopefully more Darius -- then we'll have the chance to actually lose proper. Darius is gone. Enjoy him while he lasts, because come the start of regular season, he'll be cut.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 12:18:26 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Hopefully more Darius -- then we'll have the chance to actually lose proper. Darius is gone. Enjoy him while he lasts, because come the start of regular season, he'll be cut.

not enjoying, but no bashing him
just making my judgement
and learning from the only source i trust
like saint thomas
my eyes.
that its already well based around Scals disfunctionality
 ;)

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 12:21:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

not enjoying, but no bashing him
just making my judgement
and learning from the only source i trust
like saint thomas
my eyes.
that its already well based around Scals disfunctionality
 ;)
Your eyes should have told you that the team made a comeback when Scal was on the court. Being a superior individual player only got Cobe and Lebron that far last year, you know...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
The team was plus 12 with Scal on the court, highest on the team. Perhaps Doc saw something. If I had been able to watch the game, I probably wouldn't be focusing on Scal's team defense with all the new guys on the court.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I find it hard to believe that in the four minutes that Darius Miles was in the game that any of you believe that he deserved not to be ridiculed or given one more minute of playing time. He was two seconds slow on every defensive play, he threw up an air ball that would be an embarrassing shot for an EIGHTH GRADER. He seriously mis-timed his leaps for rebounds and was as out of sync as any player that has worn the Celtics uniform since Gerald Green.

Enough with the remembrances of Darius Miles as the high flying, above the rim living, KG wannabe with attitude that he once was and please people, come to grips with the fact that he isn't making this team and that all your delusions of a man overcoming a catastrophically horrible injury to be the Lazarus of the NBA this year are as far fetched as dividing a number by zero. It's not going to happen.

So why would Doc hammer Miles and support Scal? Because one will make this team and one won't. Because one has a guaranteed contract this year and one doesn't. This was all very easy to see if you just saw what reality put in front of you. Will Miles have a good game before the season starts? Maybe, probably most likely. Will he show that he can consistently put together good game after good game to ensure he makes this team and convinces the management that his knee will be a non-issue? Not a chance in the world.

Wake up Celtic Nation Miles is done. And unfortunately it doesn't matter that Scal doesn't deserve to be on this team, because he doesn't. But his contract will one day be worth something, Miles will never be worth anything. Sad story. Sad reality. But it is the truth as I know it.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 02:45:38 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
The team was plus 12 with Scal on the court, highest on the team. Perhaps Doc saw something. If I had been able to watch the game, I probably wouldn't be focusing on Scal's team defense with all the new guys on the court.

There was nothing to see. He was bad. So, so bad.

+/- in this case had everything to do with who was on the floor at the same time as him. Both on his team, and for the Cavs.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 03:34:57 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I couldn't watch the game but i don't understand why you give 4 min to a guy you are testing...and give those minutes to another guy who is not good enough for this team. Scal is not good enough for the C's, that's all.

My only possible explanation for this is that he tried to motivate Miles somehow...otherwise i ignore the reasons for this