Author Topic: MJ says C's Were Lucky to Win Title  (Read 10009 times)

Re: MJ says C's Were Lucky to Win Title
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I was going to translate Michael's luck statement to:

"I bet on the Lakers"

But after reading the dialogue between him and Ray I understand what he's saying, which is:

"The first championship, you're in unfamiliar territory and basically things need to fall in place for you to win.  Now you know what it takes and if luck isn't with you this year, we will find out what kind of team you really are"

I agree.  Michael is really smart.  He put together a good wizards team.  And I beleive him when he said he didn't want to draft Kwame. 

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 02:16:07 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
celts have to win three in a row. Thats prob the only way legends like jordan shuts up and gives us proper credit, kg and ray allen get their jersey raised possibly and lastly stump the 80's celts because they never won 3 in a row.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
celts have to win three in a row. Thats prob the only way legends like jordan shuts up and gives us proper credit, kg and ray allen get their jersey raised possibly and lastly stump the 80's celts because they never won 3 in a row.

see, i dont see it as all that inflamatory, espically since he always says his first was lucky.

what he's trying to get across is, some teams (like the heat) only win once, and thus, will be forgotten. to get remebered, you have to win a few with basicaly the same team.

I don't really take it as a "shot" as some here have seemed to.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I was going to translate Michael's luck statement to:

"I bet on the Lakers"

Hahaha... nice one!
I need humor today, because I fail to smile when I check out my stock portfolio these days....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 03:06:25 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

The Celts of the 80's didn't even repeat, let
alone win three in a row.
As far as I know, Boston is the only team to
do that (?) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Correcting myself:
Chicago did it as well.
Oh, it just serves MJ right
that I totally forgot  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 03:18:39 PM by Amager Celtic Fan »

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
While I understand what MJ (mr carry the ball) is trying to say.
How about this say that to KG's face!

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Jordan has a point behind his mantra...
Think about the last 10 years...the only team besides the Bulls to repeat has been the Lakers.
All the teams that have won since Chicago...
San Antonio..really good, arguably great, but not great enough to repeat back to back
Lakers...yeah, they did the threepeat.
Detroit..they were good, and still are since then, but not good enough to be great and win again
Miami..They won once and it was over. No greatness there
Boston..Good so far. In my own eyes great, but by this sequence of rules/probability, they must win this year and maybe even the year after..but it can happen
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 03:48:49 PM »

Offline Celtic Justice

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4

Correcting myself:
Chicago did it as well.

The Lakers won 3 in a row during the Shaw/Kobe dysfunctional marriage
The Bulls won 3 in a row twice (6 in 8 years) during MJ's era (the two years in between was when my was "retired")

The Lakers also did it in the 50's i think, when they were in minneapolis

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 10:14:30 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I believe that had McHale taken half the shots in that game 6, of the '85 finals, we could have won and had our three-peat.

Bird's outside shots clearly weren't falling and McHale was having a finals MVP series, esp that last game. That time, however, Rambis exacted his revenge upon by getting him fouled out of the game. All and all, Bird and DJ should have setup every single possession for McHale, thus making Parish do more of the work on defense, and Bird, only taking it to the hoop since Cooper was on him, all the time and that's where Coop was less effective.

In essence, a 50-54 pt outing for McHale; yes, he was really on fire. Somehow, the Celts didn't use it and had him split his efforts on defense which were less effective esp with all the fouls.

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 12:06:18 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
MJ has a point on this one. Any team with a strong lineup has a chance to win the title every year. But winning straight titles or even multiple titles is a different animal. The season after winning your title is one of the hardest seasons a team can ever experience. Everybody wants to claim the scalp of the champs and you can be sure that they would double or even triple their preparation for you the following season.

Fans and basketball historians give high regards to teams who won multiple titles because this feat is not easily accomplished and only a blessed few have gone on to reach that stage in history. I don't want to remember the Big 3 of KG-PP-RA as a one-hit wonder team. I want to remember them as the team who beat the so-called experts' predictions year after year and went on to win multiple titles. I say the Celtics should take this comment to heart and use this as a motivation to reach out and grab banner 18 and beyond.

Thanks for the bulletin board material MJ  ;)

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2008, 11:25:35 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Let us not forget that MJ was a master of 'Psy-Ops' with and against other players, as was our own Larry Bird. His comments to Ray Allen are clearly designed to be inflammatory and inspirational at the same time. I think Ray took them to heart and he will certainly share them with the team, if he hasnt already. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 12:37:23 AM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
You know what... I don't care if we were lucky, the memories I have of number #17 are priceless.

PS:  Hey MJ you were LUCKY because the refs were with you so many times...

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Correcting myself:
Chicago did it as well.

The Lakers won 3 in a row during the Shaw/Kobe dysfunctional marriage
The Bulls won 3 in a row twice (6 in 8 years) during MJ's era (the two years in between was when my was "retired")

The Lakers also did it in the 50's i think, when they were in minneapolis

You're absolutely right. Tommy Point.
But I'm not sad that I didn't remember.
We are, after all, talking about the
much hated Lakers here  ;)
But thanks for the heads-up.

Anyways, no other team (other than Boston)
has ever won 8 times in a row and this I
am quite sure of  ;D

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 01:45:30 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
There's always an element of luck in no matter what you do but you still have to be a great team to be in position for that luck to present itself and then capitalize on it.

The C's made the majority of their luck last year and for the most part they willed their defensive identity on every team throughout the year and made them play the style we wanted to play.

MJ can say every "first 'Ship" is lucky but what he really means is the next one you win legitimizes your Championship legacy.....he really wants to say "one isn't enough" but he's so [dang] competitive he just wants to demean your first win in the process.

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »

Offline Greg37

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
A team has to have a certain amount of luck to win any championship. Staying healthy, which is a major component of winning is largely a matter of good fortune.  How many would Chi have won if MJ or Pippen had
gotten hurt during one of their championship seasons? Russell badly sprained his ankle in 1958 or the Cs would have won that year too. You have to stay healthy to have any kind of shot of going far in the playoffs.