Poll

Would you trade him for a future pick or a bench player?

Yes
No
Depends on what we can get back

Author Topic: Trade Giddens?  (Read 8566 times)

Trade Giddens?
« on: October 09, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
With Bill Walker looking so good as a rook and potential backup 3 do we really need Giddens?  I say trade him for a future pick ala Jiri Welsch who later yielded us Rondo!  Otherwise we can package him for a trade at the deadline to solidify the lineup for the playoffs.  What do you think, has JR Giddens become expendable??

Re: Trade Giddens?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think he always has been dispensable.  The problem is, what kind of value does he have?  If they could get even a protected first rounder for him, they would likely jump at it, but that is unlikely right now.  So they are much better off holding on to him to hope he either develops, or becomes part of a bigger deal.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
way too early to discuss this, however would consider this if we could package scal in this trade and get a veteran or an expiring contract.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I would like to see what JR is actually capable of before talking about trading him.  He only played 4 minutes.  Also I don't want to get too excited about Walker after just one game.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wait a while.

Let this kid play himself into a position where the team can honestly establish some trade value for him. 

If they plan on trading him, do it down the line when you build him up a bit.  You'll get more in return.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I would like to see what JR is actually capable of before talking about trading him.  He only played 4 minutes.  Also I don't want to get too excited about Walker after just one game.

Ditto. The Walker fan boys are jumping all over Giddens. ::). Walker didn't do anything Giddens can't do with the exception of the dunk on Ratliff, and Giddens is known to be a vicious dunker himself. Walker's performance yesterday was a good showing, but he just finished the plays he was supposed to. He caught an Alley-oop, he finished a lay-up, hit some free throws, and had a emphatic dunk on Theo.

I don't know what suggest he's already a level above Giddens or so much farther in development.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If Ainge gets the offer he would want for any player, I have no doubt he pulls the trigger.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Ditto. The Walker fan boys are jumping all over Giddens. ::). Walker didn't do anything Giddens can't do with the exception of the dunk on Ratliff, and Giddens is known to be a vicious dunker himself. Walker's performance yesterday was a good showing, but he just finished the plays he was supposed to. He caught an Alley-oop, he finished a lay-up, hit some free throws, and had a emphatic dunk on Theo.

I don't know what suggest he's already a level above Giddens or so much farther in development.

i think the awnser would be got onto the court post training camp, and one is buried on the bench and his coach has said he doesn't "get it" yet.

that being said, he played real well in his limited minutes, and im pretty against trading a 1st rounder based on 4 freaking minutes in a preseason game, and one that played well in his 4 minutes at that.

also, giddens is a SG more than a SF, and walker is a SF more than a SG, so i dont think that they are necessarily exclusive to one another.

honestly, i'd like to try to move big baby, not that i think he's a bad player or anything, but we have leon, im with roy on him not being super impressive,  but i know i'd be burned in effergy by the big baby crowd.

but for me, trade scal and baby in a package,
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 04:50:28 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 04:45:46 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
too early to trade him
more importantly if he is sent to d league hows his attitude going to be with walker staying on c's?

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
OVER REACTION

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 04:52:42 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

i think the awnser would be got onto the court post training camp, and one is buried on the bench and his coach has said he doesn't "get it" yet.

that being said, he played real well in his limited minutes, and im pretty against trading a 1st rounder based on 4 freaking minutes in a preseason game, and one that played well in his 4 minutes at that.

also, giddens is a SG more than a SF, and walker is a SF more than a SG, so i dont think that they are necessarily exclusive to one another.

honestly, i'd like to try to move big baby, not that i think he's a bad player or anything, but we have leon, im with roy on him not being super impressive,  but i know i'd be burned in effergy by the big baby crowd.

I'm with you a 100%

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

i think the awnser would be one couldn't buy his way onto the court post training camp, and one is buried on the bench and his coach has said he doesn't "get it" yet.

Doc only suggested Giddens was a little behind. The general view, on these boards, from what I've seen today seems to be that Giddens is lost out there, and way behind development wise. Some people suggested he looked lost yesterday which he didn't he looked very focus and made some defensive plays right when he got in.

On the poll I said I'd trade Giddens depending on what we get, but that's the same for Walker. These two are still in the same boat, in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

i think the awnser would be one couldn't buy his way onto the court post training camp, and one is buried on the bench and his coach has said he doesn't "get it" yet.

Doc only suggested Giddens was a little behind. The general view, on these boards, from what I've seen today seems to be that Giddens is lost out there, and way behind development wise. Some people suggested he looked lost yesterday which he didn't he looked very focus and made some defensive plays right when he got in.

On the poll I said I'd trade Giddens depending on what we get, but that's the same for Walker. These two are still in the same boat, in my opinion.

well let me ask you this, since you wan to take that as a suggestion.

out of the two rookies, who got played a good stretch and who barley saw the floor?

seems right in line with doc's "suggestion" to me.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 05:26:58 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I thought Giddens place decent while he was out there.  You could tell he was nervous, especially on the offensive end.  But he was very active and came up with some good defensive plays.

And you can't use his lack of PT as any indication of what Doc or the coaching staff thinks of him.  That's how the preseason works.  The coaches usually like to see particular players get extended time.  There will be some games where Giddens plays more than Walker.  It doesn't mean that Walker is all of a sudden in the dog house, or Giddens has moved ahead of him.  The coaches can just usually have a better idea of how the player is progressing when they get more PT, but you can't give every player on the team 20 mpg.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
OVER REACTION

Wow 2 dunks by Walker and all of a sudden he's an all star!!!!!!!!!!!