Author Topic: Would you agree?  (Read 10329 times)

Would you agree?
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The most beneficial action for the future of this team would be to make a trade to compress this lineup.

Untouchable:
Perk
KG
PP
RA
RR

As much as people threw Ray Allen's name in hypothetical trades this off-season I still deem him untouchable. Will he be the first of the "Big 3" to go? I would say yes, but hopefully if we lose him it's to retirement after a 5 - 6 year stint with the Celtics. The guy is Reggie Miller...

A Year Away:
Scal
House
T. Allen

All these guys combine to be a $9 Million expiring contract which will be very valuable next off-season as teams start to prep for the the summer of 2010.

Let's See What They Can Do:
Patrick O'Bryant
B. Walker
J.R. Giddens
D. Miles

Not very much trade value as of yet.

What's Left:
Leon Powe
Glen Davis
Sam Cassell
Gabe Pruitt

Sam is not going anywhere and is more then likely Tom Thibs. replacement next season.

If I had to choose between Powe and Baby I would choose Powe. He's more Yankee like, seems to take the game very seriously and is always in tip top shape.

Two Ideal Packages:

1. Powe and Pruitt

or

2. Baby and Pruitt.

Now, both Powe and Baby have proved they can play in this league and there were reports of Powe gaining interest on the trade market last deadline.

Would a team be will to part with a first round pick for package 1 or 2? Would you make that trade?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Would you agree?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:37:11 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
A Year Away:
Scal
House
T. Allen

All these guys combine to be a $9 Million expiring contract which will be very valuable next off-season as teams start to prep for the the summer of 2010.

Just wanted to say that I would hate it if the Celtics would try to get into the LeBron sweepstakes in 2010. But we could get a lot of value for these three contracts if we trade them to a team that wants to take the risk.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:39:24 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
A Year Away:
Scal
House
T. Allen

Just wanted to say that I would hate it if the Celtics would try to get into the LeBron sweepstakes in 2010. But we could get a lot of value for these three contracts if we trade them to a team that wants to take the risk.

Yes and it's not just the Lebron sweepstakes as there are many high profile free agents to be in the 2010 offseason.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:42:39 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
The most beneficial action for the future of this team would be to make a trade to compress this lineup.

Untouchable:
Perk
KG
PP
RA
RR

As much as people threw Ray Allen's name in hypothetical trades this off-season I still deem him untouchable. Will he be the first of the "Big 3" to go? I would say yes, but hopefully if we lose him it's to retirement after a 5 - 6 year stint with the Celtics. The guy is Reggie Miller...

A Year Away:
Scal
House
T. Allen

Patrick O'Bryant
B. Walker
J.R. Giddens
D. Miles

What's Left:
Leon Powe
Glen Davis
Sam Cassell
Gabe Pruitt

Sam is not going anywhere and is more then likely Tom Thibs. replacement next season.

If I had to choose between Powe and Baby I would choose Powe. He's more Yankee like, seems to take the game very seriously and is always in tip top shape.

Two Ideal Packages:

1. Powe and Pruitt

or

2. Baby and Pruitt.

Now, both Powe and Baby have proved they can play in this league and there were reports of Powe gaining interest on the trade market last deadline.

Would a team be will to part with a first round pick for package 1 or 2? Would you make that trade?

idealy, id like to see scal and baby packaged, even if it costs us a pick.

scal is utterly worthless.

Baby has value, but powe is more consistant.

pruitt looked good last night, rather keep him around for depth.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:51:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Ray will not retire a Celtic unless he resigns later for less money. 

Ainge will look to use him to bring in a younger star to keep the Celtics a contender for longer. 

Now I think there is little chance he does it this year, but next season, he is fair game. 

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

I agree that Scal is probably not going to make a contribution this season but because of NBA's economics he becomes an asset after. Wouldn't holding off a year be more productive?

Pruitt looked good but with Cassell and House backing up Rondo how much do we really need him? Plus, I'm confident in the development of the PG position through this staff going forward.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

No question about it, Ray will be taking a huge pay cut to stay here after 2010. He will probably get in the neighborhood of 3 years $25 million and be worth it.

Ainge will look to use him to bring in a younger star to keep the Celtics a contender for longer. 

The Celtics are no longer set up to bring in a young star for youth and an expiring contract. 

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

No question about it, Ray will be taking a huge pay cut to stay here after 2010. He will probably get in the neighborhood of 3 years $25 million and be worth it.

The Celtics are no longer set up to bring in a young star for youth and an expiring contract. 

uh, they are if they trade ray allen next year....
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 09:11:09 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

Untouchable:
Perk
KG
PP
RA
RR

A Year Away:
Scal
House
T. Allen

Patrick O'Bryant
B. Walker
J.R. Giddens
D. Miles

What's Left:
Leon Powe
Glen Davis
Sam Cassell
Gabe Pruitt

Two Ideal Packages:

1. Powe and Pruitt

or

2. Baby and Pruitt.

I agree with that. Scal to me just no longer has a use on this team. Baby for his talent I still think is fairly easily replaced as well. Especially if we find a vet big man later on.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 09:20:53 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

Well Walker could very well be that young star that they go with. You can't be anything but impressed with this kid. And I'm feeling good overall about this crop of kids producing for us. O'Bryant's athleticism. I think this youth we just brought in along with Rondo and Perk will help keep us in contentionx for a while.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Well Walker could very well be that young star that they go with. You can't be anything but impressed with this kid. And I'm feeling good overall about this crop of kids producing for us. O'Bryant's athleticism. I think this youth we just brought in along with Rondo and Perk will help keep us in contentionx for a while.

I think O'Bryant has been the most encouraging off-season acquisition judging by last nights game. He's big and long, If he an bring it as he did yesterday every game this season he'll be another steal for Ainge.

Walker is athletic but got burnt on more then one possession by Young is last nights game.Like most young players in NBA he has a long way to go defensively but has some offensive game.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 09:31:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Ray will be the expiring contract.  They can use him to find a younger player that is already established from a team looking to blow up their team and rebuilding.  

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 09:43:49 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Ray will be the expiring contract.  They can use him to find a younger player that is already established from a team looking to blow up their team and rebuilding. 

Theoretically it's possible but I'm still trying to figure out what team and player that could possibly be...

I think if anything Ray's contract that expires after this one would be the best to use in this scenario. By that time we might have some youth to put around it and it won't be such a high number to find a match.

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »

Offline jbhdva

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 5
I would agree that Ray Ray would be here a while longer and will resign with the Celtics. He is healthy and if he stays that way, he can be here a while longer. I don't see why you would trade him to get someone younger, that may not work out.

Also, I agree that Walker looked great last night and Patrick O'Bryant could, and probably will fill P.J. Brown's role (pretty much a younger P.J.) and he will work well in our system.

As said before, we don't need to have a younger team, we need a mixture of vets and rooks as well as good role players. We all know what happens when we have a captain and a bunch of young guys...does 2006-2007 ring any bells?

Another thing, I'm not at all interested in LeBron James coming here, like I've seen on other posts. He's the games best player, but do you know what we would have to give up to get him and his price range would mess up the cap and our ability to get really good role players. Just look at Cleveland and what they're doing with him. He doesn't have much help, probably because Cleveland can't afford to pay him and other good players either. End of rant.

Bottom line, Keep the Big Three Together, they've jelled and learned to play with one another, don't mess that up. Also, keep Powe, Walker, O'Bryant, House, TA, and Giddens. I'm still not sure about Pruitt and we all know how schizophrenic Sam Cassell can be.

As for Scalabrine....   .... .... Scal, Scal, Scal. What happened??? We love ya Scal, but maybe its time to find a new line of work. You're dwindling away.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:27:10 AM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I was at the game and ppl were chanting Scal all night even when he wasn't in the game. I think we psyched him out everytime he touched the ball. We thought he would have his moment at the end w/the wide open three but he missed. He also committed like 3 turnovers in one play. One of the worst performances I've ever seen

Cut him right away Danny!