Author Topic: Oh Tommy....  (Read 10500 times)

Re: Oh Tommy....
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
if any of you listen to radio broadcasts, Max is imo much better than Tommy - I actually agree Tommy should be allowed to decide when he hangs it up, just because he is an institution in this town (one I have trouble listening to at times, but that's my own opinion) - but when Tommy does hang it up, Cedric Maxwell should be his replacement, he knows the game, brings insight, is inherently funny and enthusiastic to an appropriate degree
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 09:28:31 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Tommy is beyond criticism to me.  The day he retires will be a sad, sad day for Celtics fans.  I don't care if he's not the most informative announcer; he's the most enthusiastic, and he bleeds proverbial green.  That's good enough for me.

perfectly said.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
if any of you listen to radio broadcasts, Max is imo much better than Tommy - I actually agree Tommy should be allowed to decide when he hangs it up, just because he is an institution in this town (one I have trouble listening to at times, but that's my own opinion) - but when Tommy does hang it up, Cedric Maxwell should be his replacement, he knows the game, brings insight, is inherently funny and enthusiastic to an appropriate degree

Agreed.  I think he would do a better job then Marshall.
do it

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »

Offline noro

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
  • Welcome to the Loud House

Quack Quack Quack!!!

You just gotta hope he doesn't make any bacon and eggs comments on TV.
2003 National Champions

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 11:29:12 AM »

Offline Locomotive Breath

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12

Agreed.  I think he would do a better job then Marshall.
I agree with both of you guys, Max has a great personality and would shine.
I would like to know also how Marshall got a job as an "expert" analyzes, really.

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 11:43:51 AM »

Offline CLeht11

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
How can you criticize Tommy?!?  Isn't that almost a sin around these parts?  We're just lucky that we have Tommy who does actually bleed green, but not only Tommy - Mike is amazing also.  Without the other, they just aren't the same in my eyes.
Who said the East was the JV conference? See you next year, Mr. Bryant!

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I would certainly like Max over 'milquetoast' Marshall but, not over Tommy.  I realize the need (actually i don't) of some to get a more unbiased broadcaster but, on pure entertainment alone Max isn't in his league.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
How can you criticize Tommy?!?  Isn't that almost a sin around these parts?  We're just lucky that we have Tommy who does actually bleed green, but not only Tommy - Mike is amazing also.  Without the other, they just aren't the same in my eyes.

If you think pointing out Tommy's flaws is a sin then that is just silly. The guy is hilariously bad and good at the same time, everyone knows it.

So far this season he seems to have an incrased amount of ramblings that have ended with words that don't normally end sentences. I thought last year would be his last and it would have been a perfect year for him to retire but I guess he's going for one more, good for him.

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
Tommy came back to life the second bodies started flyin on the court. He loves that stuff. It took him 2 pre season games to start calling for the refs to be thrown out of the game; while addressing them in their full names.

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
Tommy came back to life the second bodies started flyin on the court. He loves that stuff. It took him 2 pre season games to start calling for the refs to be thrown out of the game; while addressing them in their full names.

Hahaha, this is exactly why Tommy is the best announcer of all time. I met him in person one time, and he is honestly the coolest guy on earth. Imagine your grandpa. Now imagine him as a Celtics legend with a wealth of basketball knowledge and borderline dementia, who argues against calls that were clearly accurate, and continues to protest even after the replay. 

Win. Win so hard. 

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.

Hahaha, this is exactly why Tommy is the best announcer of all time. I met him in person one time, and he is honestly the coolest guy on earth. Imagine your grandpa. Now imagine him as a Celtics legend with a wealth of basketball knowledge and borderline dementia, who argues against calls that were clearly accurate, and continues to protest even after the replay. 

Win. Win so hard. 

I saw him while working a job last year for comcast, I didn't have the guts to talk to him, but he was exactly as he is as a commentator, but he can swear because he's off camera. Love the guy to death.

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100
One thing I noticed from the beginning of the game was that it seemed Tommy was measuring his words/comments against a potential non response from Mike Gorman. Essentially, I think Tommy is now becoming self-conscious of the criticism of his homeristic ways.

Now, I'm the hugest MG fan, but I sometimes bristled at how he left Tommy hanging in the air after whichever comment or statement he'd made. Sure, there are plenty of occasions where Tommy will blather on, and his comments either stand on their own or don't deserve a response. Last night was not such a night. I understand that Mike wants to distance himself from Tommy's homerism, but last night Tommy was dead-on as concerned the officials, and I saw it as that he was trying to get a discussion started which MG wanted no part of. So be it. And I may be incorrect, just my impression.

In all, I hope CSNE doesn't ever heed the call of those fools who would ask for Uncle Tommy's removal. I don't think I could stomach the era of the Donny Point. Could you?

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2008, 04:21:19 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
One thing I noticed from the beginning of the game was that it seemed Tommy was measuring his words/comments against a potential non response from Mike Gorman. Essentially, I think Tommy is now becoming self-conscious of the criticism of his homeristic ways.

Now, I'm the hugest MG fan, but I sometimes bristled at how he left Tommy hanging in the air after whichever comment or statement he'd made. Sure, there are plenty of occasions where Tommy will blather on, and his comments either stand on their own or don't deserve a response. Last night was not such a night. I understand that Mike wants to distance himself from Tommy's homerism, but last night Tommy was dead-on as concerned the officials, and I saw it as that he was trying to get a discussion started which MG wanted no part of. So be it. And I may be incorrect, just my impression.

In all, I hope CSNE doesn't ever heed the call of those fools who would ask for Uncle Tommy's removal. I don't think I could stomach the era of the Donny Point. Could you?

Oh my god, just the thought of a Donnie Point makes me sick. What would he give those out for?

"And Scalabrine showing some good sportsmanship after that foul... look at him pat Williams on the back; that's a Donny Point right there."

^ Just envisioning that scenario made me projectile vomit all over my keyboard. If Marshall ever utters the phrase "Donny Point" I might have to consider assisted suicide (his).

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100

Oh my god, just the thought of a Donnie Point makes me sick. What would he give those out for?

"And Scalabrine showing some good sportsmanship after that foul... look at him pat Williams on the back; that's a Donny Point right there."

Yeah, it would definitely be something like that. Or for not 'taking the bait' after getting punched in the stomach, or for staying on the bench during a brief dust-up.

It will be a circle of hell which includes Donny Points and Celt's Appeal

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2008, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Remember Gorman is the play by play guy, he's supposed to be as objective as possible (and to be honest, so is the color guy, but as we all know, Tommy doesn't do that) - I honestly didn't watch this one, but the thing I'd say is, if Tommy's concerned with the officials in a preseason game to the point that Gorman doesn't acknowledge him, somethings wrong - but Gorman really isn't supposed to take the bait, and I think he does a great job more often than not of not taking it...
When you love life, life loves you right back