Author Topic: Oh Tommy....  (Read 10533 times)

Re: Oh Tommy....
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
* When the ball rattled in the rim and Tommy rolled his tongue and made up a new word- (TP if someone can remember what word he invented)
I was laughing so hard.  Ahhh gotta love Tommy. 
[/quote]

the one house made? i think it was "he snuggled that one in there eh?" or somethign to that effect :)
[/quote]

yeah that was the one.  snuggled sounds familiar. ;D  someone must have dvr'd it
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Tommy>>>>all other anouncers.

period.

end of story.

case closed.

Seriously, he and Gorman were two mainstays during the bad C's years that were always an example of consistent greatness. Without both of them the Celtics would have been a lot harder to watch than the already were.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I love Tommy. I hope Bob Cousy sits in quite a bit as well. I like the team they make and want to hear them as much as possible while they are both still around.

The only gripe I have about League Pass and they would increase their business if they would do it, is if they would give us a choice of which broadcast to hear. As many of us out of market people already know, we usually only get the hometown announcers. And if it is nationally televised we are REQUIRED to watch that game that would have been free anyway even though we are paid subscribers.

They need to address that and they might pick up extra business.

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
...so you'd rather listen to donny marshall?  :-\

I'm bored just thinking about it.

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
...so you'd rather listen to donny marshall?  :-\

Keep Tommy.  Tommy adds alot of enthusiasm, knowledge and tradition.

Please NO Donny Marshall AT ALL.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Tommy is beyond criticism to me.  The day he retires will be a sad, sad day for Celtics fans.  I don't care if he's not the most informative announcer; he's the most enthusiastic, and he bleeds proverbial green.  That's good enough for me.

I'll Co-sign

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I think Tommy and Mike work together better than most...i watched the game,and didn't find anything wrong with Tommy,even if i did,i would never put him down.Everyone loves Tommy.

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 11:56:01 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Just because everyone loves him, me included, doesn't mean we can't point out how obviously much worse he's gotten in just a summer's length.

Everyone suck up to Roy though because he's a moderator. (way to much brown nosing on this thread)

The truth is I would watch every NBA game without commentators if I had the option. I know the game and I dont need to be told the opposite of what is going on.  The game sounds and what the players and coaches say are a million times more interesting then anything an announcer could say even if that announcer is a Celtic legend ridding the tail end of his wits.

Despite that, I'm truly sorry if my accurate description of Tommy's announcing abilities offended anyone just don't assume I'd rather be listening to Donny Marshall, now that is offensive.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:03:41 PM by incoherent »

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
While watching the pre-game I noticed Tommy just did not look good physically and his speech seemed to be a little off. Once he seemed to be saying something, lost his train of thought and just stammered awhile. I told my wife that Tommy has looked like has aged quite a bit over the summer.

During the game Tommy seemed to be fine with me.

I love Tommy and I want him to doing telecasts until he's 120 regardless of his condition.  I don't care.  Tommy IS the Boston Celtics and vice-versa.  I feel the same for Mike and Cous.

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Cous is terrible.  He is a front runner.

The year before last... you know when we sucked.. Cous didn't even know the names of our players nevermind their skill sets. Yeah that was fun to listen to.....

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 01:04:30 PM by incoherent »

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 12:47:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Just because everyone loves him, me included, doesn't mean we can't point out how obviously much worse he's gotten in just a summer's length.

From what I've heard his wife isn't doing well at all. He could be distracted.

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 07:27:37 AM »

Offline wbones1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 19
 Tommy is tradition, and what do the Celtics have tradition. I love TOMMY!!! By far the best commentator you can find for brining the tradition, and history of the Celtics to the younger fans. Donny Marshall not a Celtic, and not a very good broadcaster either.
wbones1

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 09:59:17 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Cous is terrible.  He is a front runner.

The year before last... you know when we sucked.. Cous didn't even know the names of our players nevermind their skill sets. Yeah that was fun to listen to.....

Do you even get it?  It has nothing to do with these guys getting old and senile and missing players names or stammering or losing their train of thought?

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
Listening to Tommy on play by play these days is like watching Ric Flair when he made his comeback. You know, when he was way too old believably beat anyone, and he had man boobs.

He's good for comedic value, but he's a lousy play by play guy.

I'm not going to let my love of the franchise, and respect for his accomplishments as a player and coach, get in the way of sound judgement.

I said it in another thread about Cous, I think Tommy and Cous would be great for a pre, mid, and post game show. I could deal with Tommy hollering and screaming over game highlights, I'd actually enjoy it.

That said, he's still more listenable than Cedric Maxwell.

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »

Offline Bidder225

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I live in Anchorage Alaska and never get to hear Tommy accept on highlights and he sounds as good as ever to me.  I remember him on CBS and he was great.  You guys should enjoy him while you can.  If he is not as good as he once was get over it and give him a pass.  He has devoted his life to the celtics.  PS I hope the guys on CSL can get him on there someday.