Author Topic: Lamar Odom to play the point?  (Read 3014 times)

Lamar Odom to play the point?
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:12:09 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
  Lakers are expected to shift Kobe Bryant to small forward on Tuesday night in their first game of the preseason.

Bryant shifts to small forward, with Derek Fisher sliding over to shooting guard, and Lamar Odom moving from small forward to point guard.

Los Angeles big men Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum will take the court for the first time on Tuesday when the Lakers battle the Jazz.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54754/20081007/lakers_to_play_kobe_at_small_forward/

I guess thats one way to handle the problem the Lakers have with too much size. I dont really know to much about Lamars ball handling abilities to say whether this is a bad move or not. Its not making much sense to me.

Re: Lamar Odom to play the point?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 10:27:26 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I believe there has been talk too about bringing Bynum off the bench.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »

Offline swebb87

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
He has very good handles,but is he a PG? I don't know, time will tell. But I like the idea.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
if it could work it would cause extreme match up problems for about any team in the league, but its not going to work.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:53 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
  Lakers are expected to shift Kobe Bryant to small forward on Tuesday night in their first game of the preseason.

Bryant shifts to small forward, with Derek Fisher sliding over to shooting guard, and Lamar Odom moving from small forward to point guard.

Los Angeles big men Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum will take the court for the first time on Tuesday when the Lakers battle the Jazz.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54754/20081007/lakers_to_play_kobe_at_small_forward/

I guess thats one way to handle the problem the Lakers have with too much size. I dont really know to much about Lamars ball handling abilities to say whether this is a bad move or not. Its not making much sense to me.

If you're interested, I took a look at this in some depth in Sunday's Daily Babble: http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4024&Itemid=241

I think it could be an interesting use of Odom's unique skill set at his size - for short stretches at a time.  But I don't get the idea that is going to be full time or anything close by any stretch of the imagination once the games start to count.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:58:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The problem is still not enough outside shooting. 

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Lamar played the point (well point-forward, or point-center) at times back with the Clippers when he was 19/20 ... before they acquired Andre Miller. He wasn't much of a point, then again he was young and he's improved, but he was basically the type of player that can pass/dribble and be a playmaker but had no clue how to create offensive rhythm or direct an offense. So he did half-assed.

Then there's the Triangle and talents of his teammates? Who knows how much that will help him? Triangle de-emphasizes most of the normal duties of a point, plus Fisher and Kobe can help keep Lamar on track. That's a big difference.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:33:32 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
What is the difference anyway? The starting backcourt last year was Kobe and Fisher. Now they are rotating to the 2 and 3. Not much different from having Fisher at 1 and Odom at 3. Bottom line is they want to get Bynum, Gasol, and Odom on the floor at the same time at times.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
What is the difference anyway? The starting backcourt last year was Kobe and Fisher. Now they are rotating to the 2 and 3. Not much different from having Fisher at 1 and Odom at 3. Bottom line is they want to get Bynum, Gasol, and Odom on the floor at the same time at times.
Very little by my reckoning. Just a way to get the man some touches and involve him, massage his ego a bit, little end gain for the team.

I think the two things to watch - Lakers spacing offensively, and the cutting of Fisher/Kobe versus Odom/Kobe. There might be some advantages but I doubt they amount to much, then again there might be none and possibly some disadvantages. Have to wait and see. I doubt it sticks but we'll see in time.

The Lakers have a lot of experimenting with Lamar Odom ahead of him. He defended four positions (SG-SF-PF-C) tonight against Utah, and played three positions (this point thing, SF, PF) offensively. He started too, Bynum didn't, so they need to see how he handles coming off the bench and see whether or not he can do it well (some can't - TJ Ford last season).

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 01:40:57 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Lamar Odom can handle the ball. I don't see why we're all surprised to hear it thought of for him to run the point, b/c it's not the first time. Before Fisher came back, Odom was doing over half of the PG position on offense, and setting up the offense starting at half court.
If he could perfect his ball handling, then between his size, inside game, and him being a lefty...there could be trouble for all teams. He could rebound over basically any PG, back down any PG, and have a better chance of blocking shots/passes as well.
Also, the idea of Bynum off the bench has got to be the solution to the big guys not meshing. It might be too early to say they won't work together, but in terms of what their bench looks like...I would run things 1 of 3 ways...
Odom,Fisher,Kobe,Gasol,Mihm - Bynum off the bench of course
Odom,Fisher,Kobe,Radman,Gasol - Radmanovic to spread the floor with 3's, but he can't rebound
Odom,Kobe,Ariza,Gasol,Mihm - Ariza for defense, then Fisher can releave Odom, and Vujacic for Kobe

Other deciding factors in LAL are Sun Yue, as we haven't seen any NBA games here for him. Jordan Farmar, don't know how he's improved or not. Luke Walton is another honorable mention, that he could start at SF b/c he can pass, and hit open 3's...just don't let him take a "wide open fast break layup" when Ronnie Brewer is playing ;D
Can't stop, Rondo!