Author Topic: 30 Teams In 30 Days: Indiana Pacers  (Read 4059 times)

30 Teams In 30 Days: Indiana Pacers
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:55:42 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
For those unfamiliar, basically what I'm doing is making decent-sized team previews, one per day in alphabetical order. Today's featured team is the Indiana Pacers.

Teaser:

If there’s one thing you can say about the Indiana Pacers, it’s that the roster is filled with Jim O’Brien kind of players. In other words, players at every position that can stretch the floor and shoot the ball. On the wings, you’ve got terrific shooters in guys like Mike Dunleavy Jr., Danny Granger, and Brandon Rush. At the one-spot, you’ve got an absolute sniper in Travis Diener and a respectable jump-shooter in Jarrett Jack. Even up front, there’s Troy Murphy and Austin Croshere to stroke it from deep, and Rasho Nesterovic to keep the defense honest from 15-18 feet.

Having this kind of shooting cast is only going to help T.J. Ford thrive in running this offense. With ample spacing, Ford will have the room to attack the basket and kick out to reliable shooters if the defense comes to help off of his penetration (which is inevitable).

Read the Full Article Here

Tomorrow: Los Angeles Clippers

Previous Entries:

30 Teams In 30 Days: Atlanta Hawks
30 Teams In 30 Days: Boston Celtics
30 Teams In 30 Days: Charlotte Bobcats
30 Teams In 30 Days: Chicago Bulls
30 Teams In 30 Days: Cleveland Cavaliers
30 Teams In 30 Days: Dallas Mavericks
30 Teams In 30 Days: Denver Nuggets
30 Teams In 30 Days: Detroit Pistons
30 Teams In 30 Days: Golden State Warriors
30 Teams In 30 Days: Houston Rockets
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

Re: 30 Teams In 30 Days: Indiana Pacers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 08:37:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
From a talent standpoint the club got worse, but since Jermaine and Tinsley only suited up for 35-43 games last season they're an improved version of team that was on the floor last year.

TJ Ford is a thoroughbred. A pure winner who'll bring the best out of his teammates. Not a guy you should bet against, at the very least he'll have the Pacers in contention for the 8th seed. He'll lead Indiana on the court and he's about to put up his finest individual season to date. Add in Dunleavy and Granger and you have a solid perimeter trio. The bigs are serviceable and rebound well. Plus Indy have quality depth. That's more than enough to make Indiana a mediocre squad which gives them a good shot at making the playoffs.

According to reports Daniels is playing very well in camp and is the first choice wing off the bench at the moment. Brandon Rush needs to improve. That'll be interesting to watch. Oh and trading a star quality player for a role player is plain dumb, horrible trade, Larry needs to get criticized more often for this trade.

They Pacers will have a good offense and good rebounding, the question will be whether they can piece together a decent defense. That's what will decide their playoff hopes.

-----------------

As for Indiana's future ... they don't have a bright future, they have no future. They're a squad in the middle of nowhere and they're not going anywhere new anytime soon.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:14:41 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
Oh and trading a star quality player for a role player is plain dumb, horrible trade, Larry needs to get criticized more often for this trade.

Which trade are you referring to?

As for Indiana's future ... they don't have a bright future, they have no future. They're a squad in the middle of nowhere and they're not going anywhere new anytime soon.

I disagree. If anything, it's much brighter than before. They now have a very solid young core to look forward to in Danny Granger (who I think is an emerging star), T.J. Ford (if healthy), Brandon Rush, Jarrett Jack, and Roy Hibbert. Mike Dunleavy is creeping up on the prime of his career, as well.

Do they have a future as bright as Portland? No, but they have future playoff team written all over them, and that's a much better place to be than where they have been over the past few years.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
The Brandon Rush trade was the one I was referring to. Poor choice.

I wouldn't call TJ Ford a role player. He's too good for that. They got a respectable bounty for the Jermaine trade.

How do Indiana have a future? Who's leading them to a title? What great prospects do they have at the club? How many all-star caliber players do they have? How many can grow into an All-Star?

They're too good to get a high draft pick. They also don't have enough cap space to get a top tier player in ... heck they had better cap flexibility when Jermaine O Neal was there and was coming off the books in 24 months. Where's the roster additions coming from?

Just being young isn't having a future. You have to have talent and potential and they don't have that. They're a completely mediocre ball club in every respect, and they have no firm direction for making substantial improvements to their squad going forward.

Look at all the team's in the lottery or borderline playoff squads and their potential futures. In comparison to those teams, in how many instances are Indiana better off for the future?

It's not just Portland, many many many teams in this league have brighter futures than the Pacers.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The Brandon Rush trade was the one I was referring to. Poor choice.

I wouldn't call TJ Ford a role player. He's too good for that. They got a respectable bounty for the Jermaine trade.

How do Indiana have a future? Who's leading them to a title? What great prospects do they have at the club? How many all-star caliber players do they have? How many can grow into an All-Star?

They're too good to get a high draft pick. They also don't have enough cap space to get a top tier player in ... heck they had better cap flexibility when Jermaine O Neal was there and was coming off the books in 24 months. Where's the roster additions coming from?

Just being young isn't having a future. You have to have talent and potential and they don't have that. They're a completely mediocre ball club in every respect, and they have no firm direction for making substantial improvements to their squad going forward.

Look at all the team's in the lottery or borderline playoff squads and their potential futures. In comparison to those teams, in how many instances are Indiana better off for the future?

It's not just Portland, many many many teams in this league have brighter futures than the Pacers.

I agree with this.  The Pacers are basically where the C's were a few years ago.  Some talented young role players, enough veterans to be able to compete for a playoff spots, without making them legit contenders, and basically a future full of mediocrity.

Although I will say that if Oden doesn't pan out, they will be in the exact same predicament (Roy, much like Granger are future 2nd, or ideally 3rd options on good teams).  But Oden can be a difference maker.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
Who, you're making far too much of my comments. I merely said that there was light at the end of the tunnel, because the Pacers have finally picked a direction - rebuild with youth - as opposed to their previous makeup of marginal veterans and Danny Granger.

You don't need to have a Dwyane Wade or Chris Paul to have a better future than before.

As for the Rush trade, I don't see a huge deal. The Jermaine trade was already agreed in principal before the draft had taken place, and Bayless just happened to slip. They had no need for him, so why not bring in two terrific young role players in Brandon Rush and Jarrett Jack to make the rotation more complete?

I believe that Bayless is going to be an excellent player, without question, but I think Rush will as well. Having Ford and Rush is better than having Bayless and Ford, in my opinion, despite Bayless' upside. There was no room for him in Indiana.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 03:31:07 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

TJ Ford is a thoroughbred. A pure winner who'll bring the best out of his teammates.

What has TJ Ford done to be considered a "pure winner"? Doesn't one have to win first? And who's numbers has TJ Ford inflated to say he'll "bring the best out of his teammates"?

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
They also don't have enough cap space to get a top tier player in ... heck they had better cap flexibility when Jermaine O Neal was there and was coming off the books in 24 months. Where's the roster additions coming from?

They had to get rid of O'Neal, who had become a cancer who only played when he felt like playing.  In that respect, they did themselves a lot of good regardless of the cap situation.  Hibbert is going to better than his draft position.

They're probably interested in not missing the playoffs again this season.   Ford might actually show up once in a while and perform.  He'll be perfect for Obie.  He'll probably also perform without the stupid attitude that marks O'Neal every time he opens his mouth. 

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 06:31:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
They also don't have enough cap space to get a top tier player in ... heck they had better cap flexibility when Jermaine O Neal was there and was coming off the books in 24 months. Where's the roster additions coming from?

They had to get rid of O'Neal, who had become a cancer who only played when he felt like playing.  In that respect, they did themselves a lot of good regardless of the cap situation.  Hibbert is going to better than his draft position.

They're probably interested in not missing the playoffs again this season.   Ford might actually show up once in a while and perform.  He'll be perfect for Obie.  He'll probably also perform without the stupid attitude that marks O'Neal every time he opens his mouth. 

Agreed. O'Neal needed a change of scenery. And the Pacers needed a new beginning, away of him.

And in terms of cap flexibility and financial management, moving O'Neal was also the right decision: his expiring wouldn't offer them any flexibility, because they'll have to re-sign Granger before that. Instead, they saved some (very needed) millions of dollars, with Nesterovic expiring.

The reason why the Pacers future is not that bright: Walsh should have left long ago, as soon as they fired Isiah.

I agree with CB32, now there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Not bad at all, a major improvement from their situation from a few months ago. That was a organization abandoned by their fans, sponsors and community.

I also don't dislike the Bayless trade. I'm not sure he's going to be a star (will he be a better player than Granger? I doubt it), he didn't fill a need at all (can't see ; and Rush is going to be a very good role-player, I think he can be a McKey kind of player, to name a former Pacer; Jack is a great backup to Ford.

Re. TJ Ford: I'm not sure what's the standard to call someone a "pure winner", but that guy never missed the play-offs during his NBA career.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:41:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Oh, and very solid stuff all these previews CelticBalla32. I'll try to catch up with some comments later on. But a great and very impressive work  (and thanks for changing the color scheme, that lack of contrast was killing these lazy eyes).

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
What has TJ Ford done to be considered a "pure winner"? Doesn't one have to win first? And who's numbers has TJ Ford inflated to say he'll "bring the best out of his teammates"?
TJ Ford has won everywhere he's been. High school, college and the NBA. Look at the differences in the record when he played in Milwaukee and then when he arrived in Toronto. As Cordobes said, his teams have gotten to the playoffs every year also. He is a winner.

And in terms of cap flexibility and financial management, moving O'Neal was also the right decision: his expiring wouldn't offer them any flexibility, because they'll have to re-sign Granger before that. Instead, they saved some (very needed) millions of dollars, with Nesterovic expiring.
The issue with the cap flexibility is that the Pacers would have had enough money to sign a max contract free agent with O Neal coming off the books in two years (even with re-signing Granger). Instead they don't. Their initial savings (Rasho) will go into Granger's contract wiping out their first season cap space, and they don't have enough that second year to sign a top player - main difference being TJ Ford who is being paid $8.5-9mil that wasn't there before.

They had to get rid of O'Neal, who had become a cancer who only played when he felt like playing. 
I disagree with O Neal being a cancer but I can live with their decision to move him. I just don't think it's created a better future for them. The trade has nothing except hold them firmly in mediocrity.

Who, you're making far too much of my comments.
Alright ...

The mainstream media keeps making comments along the lines I was referring to, and they're wrong.

I disagree about the Bayless trade. I think it's very big deal when a team that lacks star quality, and lacks top prospects gives up on a player with such potential for role players when the team is absolutely nowhere and going nowhere. It's not like they're on the verge of a championship and these guys to take them over the top. They need young talent and they lost the best prospect in the deal. That's a big deal.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 01:40:45 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
TJ Ford has won everywhere he's been. High school, college and the NBA. Look at the differences in the record when he played in Milwaukee and then when he arrived in Toronto. As Cordobes said, his teams have gotten to the playoffs every year also. He is a winner.

Seriously? You're going to attribute the Raptors turnaround to TJ Ford? Considering how well they played without him on the floor and Calderon as the starting point?

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 01:51:19 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
TJ Ford didn't "win" anything in college either.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 02:47:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
High School: His team went 75-1 and had a 62 game win streak winning two state titles

College: In his first year he led the Longhorns to the Sweet Sixteen, only the third time in 50 years they made it that far. Also the first freshman in NCAA history to lead the nation in assists. The next season he led the squad to the Final Four which is the furthest they'd gone in 50 years.

Milwaukee: Following the loss of key players (Payton, Cassell) many were picking Milwaukee as one of the favourites for the worst record in the league. Instead TJ Ford comes in and plays a key role in helping deliver the playoffs. Next season TJ Ford goes down, rest of the squad returns, the team struggles to 30 wins. TJ Ford gets healthy, comes back next season, helps lead the Bucks back into the playoffs. Milwaukee trade TJ that summer and they haven't managed more than 28 wins in the two seasons since.

Toronto:Yes I do think TJ Ford was hugely important in the turnaround at Toronto. He was the second best player on a squad that made a 20 game improvement. I couldn't understand why people were criticizing the Villanueva trade, TJ was always going to turn that club around, he's been it his whole career.

That in my book is a winner through and through.