Author Topic: Can Giddens Remind Fans Of Pierce? (April 29, 2002)  (Read 3013 times)

Can Giddens Remind Fans Of Pierce? (April 29, 2002)
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:19:51 AM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
Came across this article back in 02  ;)

It's a heavy weight to place upon any future Kansas player. But a man who knows the skills of J.R. Giddens very well -- coach Albert Johnson -- felt very comfortable in stating a fond thought for today for any Jayhawk fan.

"He reminds me of how Paul Pierce plays," said Johnson, who helps coach Giddens during the winter at Marshall High School and at summer AAU events for Athletes First.

"He can go outside and bury the deep jumper and he can finish with style in transition. He is a great athlete too."

Giddens, 6-5 and 188-pounds, averaged 25 points and 7.4 rebounds last season as a junior. He will play for Athletes First this summer at the Showcase. Giddens will also attend the NIKE event in Indianapolis.

"He shot the ball 43 percent from beyond the three," Johnson said. "He can jump with anyone. And he is getting better each game."

Giddens will likely have one more challenge ahead -- academics. Giddens has taken the test twice. He is awaiting results from the last test. Giddens has also signed up for the next try.

The nice part about this side of the story is Giddens is just a junior. He will have the opportunity to improve on the test and has several more chances to do so in the coming months. But Giddens certainly would like to get it before he starts his summer ball.

"He's a hard worker," Johnson said. "He also a great kid. Kansas fans will love him. He is an exciting player."

Will Kansas fans recall Paul Pierce when they see Giddens? "I think so," Johnson said. "Same type of player. Same style."

Re: Can Giddens Remind Fans Of Pierce? (April 29, 2002)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:36:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
And 6 years later, did the fans think he compares to Pierce?

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Nice find TP4U. ;D

While it may be easy to shoot holes in the validity of JR Giddens-Paul Pierce comparisons, the fact remains that at least one former coach had very high praise for him. If this guy is even halfway accurate, we have landed a first rate player IMO. Not a future Hall Of Famer maybe, but still a valuable addition. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 01:42:41 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Nice find. Irrelevant to the player he is now considering it was an article when he was in HS, but interesting read.

Any Bassy in HS links?

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 05:37:38 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Nice find. Irrelevant to the player he is now considering it was an article when he was in HS, but interesting read.

Any Bassy in HS links?

No but i got a movie for ya!  ;)

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Paul Pierce is to Caron Butler

as

Caron Butler is to J.R. Giddens
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Any Bassy in HS links?

No but i got a movie for ya!  ;)

random off topic post.

in NBA2k7, when anyone used to split the defense and score with a layup with bassy, inevitably the person controling the celtics would scream out

"through the fire colorful adjective about your parentage!!"

good times, good times.  :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous

Any Bassy in HS links?

??? What type of Bassy articles?