Poll

Which is the best season(and playoffs) of Pierce?

01-02
2 (9.1%)
02-03
0 (0%)
05-06
2 (9.1%)
07-08
18 (81.8%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Which is the best season of Pierce?  (Read 4654 times)

Which is the best season of Pierce?
« on: October 05, 2008, 03:41:45 AM »

Offline Inglewood34

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Which is the best season(and playoffs) of Pierce?
Is 07-08 the best season?
No one in NBA can play one on one on me

Re: Which is the best season of Pierce?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 04:22:25 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I think that's a no-brainer.

In 2001-02 Pierce averaged 26.1
ppg and 6.9 rpg. He didn't win
a championship that season.
In 2007-08 he averaged 19.6 ppg
and 5.1 rpg. He had huge performances
in the playoffs (41 pts vs the Cavs in Game 7)
and carried the C's -along with KG-
and won the Championship. Whoever
said the 01-02 seson was better for PP
is clearly not a "team player".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:26:13 AM by Amager Celtic Fan »

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 05:21:42 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
The season in which he won the Finals MVP was his best season ::)

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:48:38 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I really loved Pierce in 2005-06. He was just a much better individual player back then. He has lost some of those abilities (like pulling up for a three and draining it out of nowhere), but he was the better overall player last season, in 2007-08.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:48:23 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Especially when you add in the playoffs, of course it's last season.  Paul didn't have the individual numbers, but his defense, leadership, and all-around game was at its peak, and statistically, his offensive efficiency was at an all-time high (career marks in eFG% and TS%).

2005-06 was an amazing season, though.  Pierce set career highs in points (26.8 ),  free throws attempted (10.7) and made (7.9), and field goal percentage (47.1%), with his second best year for assists (4.7) and third best for rebounds (6.9).  He scored 30+ points in 13 out of 14 games in a late season stretch, which, if you remember it, was easily the most amazing stretch of his career; he was hitting clutch shot after clutch shot, and of course there was that epic 50 point game against Lebron.  In terms of individual play, Pierce has never been better, and that includes this year's playoffs.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:08:21 AM »

Offline Inglewood34

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Maybe I made a mistake
I meant Which Pierce is the strongest or so.
sorry
BTW,I don't think Pierce did good in the early playoffs especially the first 13 games.
No one in NBA can play one on one on me

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 09:13:21 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Stats are nice and clearly delineate some relevant areas of Paul Pierce's game during different circumstances, but the Championship, Finals MVP and being the Captain, leader, go-to guy on this team makes 07-08 the best.

Paul earned the title and rightfully so of being "A True Celtic Champion". 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:19:31 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Especially when you add in the playoffs, of course it's last season.  Paul didn't have the individual numbers, but his defense, leadership, and all-around game was at its peak, and statistically, his offensive efficiency was at an all-time high (career marks in eFG% and TS%).

2005-06 was an amazing season, though.  Pierce set career highs in points (26.8 ),  free throws attempted (10.7) and made (7.9), and field goal percentage (47.1%), with his second best year for assists (4.7) and third best for rebounds (6.9).  He scored 30+ points in 13 out of 14 games in a late season stretch, which, if you remember it, was easily the most amazing stretch of his career; he was hitting clutch shot after clutch shot, and of course there was that epic 50 point game against Lebron.  In terms of individual play, Pierce has never been better, and that includes this year's playoffs.

I saw that game where Paul put up 50 against Lebron.  All I can say is that if he had the respect he has now around the league it would have been Lebron fouling out, not Paul.  Yeah he was extremely impressive that year, but what a tough year for him emotionally. 
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
This past season was his best in my book...he has shown that he can blend with any mix of players the team has.Some stars don't mix well or play as good when equal or as good of talent is on the same team some times,but Pierce prove to me that he can adjust to whatever the situation turns into...that is a trait not many stars will do as productive as Paul did this past season.Chemistry is key and Paul mesh very well with his new team.Go Celts Go Paul in 2008-09 season.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This past season. 

It is by far his best all around season when you look at all aspects, not just offense.

Best season in terms of defense, leadership and willingness to sacrifice personal numbers for the betterment of the team. 

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Individually, there was month or two a couple of years ago where we starting ti hear MVP chants for PP.  He was playing at a ridiculously high level for an extended period.  But still, you have to say last year was his best.  He was so steady, the stepped it up a huge nocth in the playoffs.

Yup

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »

Online Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Hopefully if you ask Paul he, without hesitation, would say last season.

Stats may translate into money, but being a Celtic is about being a champion.

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The one that got him a ring, a trophy, and a lot more endorsements.

I think it is unfair to discount the seasons when he didn't win it all. He didn't have KG and Ray back then. But it is hard to argue with all-star, finals MVP, and 66 wins.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
It's got to be 2005-2006. That was when Pierce had like 10 straight games over 30 points, he hit two or three game winners, and had that OT game with Lebron in a stretch of a month. He was a one-man wrecking crew. I know the Celtics did not have much success that season (32 wins I think), but clearly if KG and RA had been on that team, we also likely would have won a championship.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 02:59:05 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
My favorite season to watch Pierce as an individual talent was the 01-02 season.  Taking us to the Eastern conference finals, and considered one of the best in basketball.  

02-03 My favorite Pierce moment.  Talking trash right to Al Harringtons face with the clock running down in the first half and then just burying a 3 right in his face.

But yeah Like everyone else.  This past year Pierce did so much more. He became a Celtics Championship Team Leader.  He put the team before himself, played the best defense of his life, and put the team on his shoulders when he needed too(Game 7 against Cleveland).  Seeing him win the MVP in the finals was amazing because like me Im sure all of you have been following him since he was a rookie, it was awesome just to see everything come full circle with him this year.
Greg