Author Topic: Lakers Trade...  (Read 6314 times)

Lakers Trade...
« on: October 04, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I know it's not often that teams trade within the same division(or teams that faced in the finals to trade with one another, but here's an idea to help all parties, plus put each player in a better situation to excel.

Lakers trade Lamar Odom and Jordan Farmar to Golden State
Lakers send Vladamir Radmanovic to Denver
Golden State sends Al Harrington to LAL
Golden State sends Marcus Williams to Denver
Denver sends Steven Hunter to Boston
Denver sends Chucky Atkins to Golden State
Boston sends Brian Scalabrine, BBD to LAL
Boston sends Gabe Pruitt to Denver

Odom - He'd get his time to shine in GS where he could shoot more in a run'n'gun style with Stephen Jackson.
Farmar would solve the backup PG issue in GS, and get more minutes for better production in a shooting offense.
Radmanovic doesn't know how to play defense, but neither does George Karl or any of the Nuggets..
AL Harrington could dominate at the SF position with better shooting % and more focused mind than Odom under Phil
Marcus Williams could become a better shooter with AI, and maybe gain confidence at running a team as a starter PG
Hunter could fill our void at the backup backup Center position, as we lose nearly nothing in this trade
Chucky Atkins seemed to like to shoot more last year(when healthy) and he could do that leading GS at PG,Ellis at SG
Scalabrine could see time at SF as the new Radmanovic, and maybe Phil could improve his game?
BBD could help fill the void at backup PF position and become a beast in the paint with low post moves w/ Bynum/Pau
Pruitt could learn from AI as well with his shooting stroke and have a better chance at minutes with House/Sam gone

I tried to get the salaries to match up perfectly, but that's nearly impossible(as the Atkins/Hunter for Tinsley trade is nowhere close) I figure the teams could make it work by throwing in cash considerations or something...
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: Lakers Trade...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I cant see the Lakers doing this.  Al Harrington is solid but he is definitely not as good as Odom.  And Farmar is a big part of that team and their future PG.  This would be a fantastic deal for Golden State though as I think Odom would have a breakout year in that system. 

If you take Farmar out of the deal then it makes more sense.  Also I dont really like the trade for us.  I personally think BBD is already a better player than Hunter.  He may be a lot shorter but if we use him as our primary backup C (which I don't think we will) we would be better off than having Hunter as our backup.  I am also getting the feeling that POB will be better than both.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I cant see the Lakers doing this.  Al Harrington is solid but he is definitely not as good as Odom.  And Farmar is a big part of that team and their future PG.  This would be a fantastic deal for Golden State though as I think Odom would have a breakout year in that system. 

If you take Farmar out of the deal then it makes more sense.  Also I dont really like the trade for us.  I personally think BBD is already a better player than Hunter.  He may be a lot shorter but if we use him as our primary backup C (which I don't think we will) we would be better off than having Hunter as our backup.  I am also getting the feeling that POB will be better than both.

I'm with you, Shook - not interested in making this move from our end.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, I still don't get the Hunter fascination.  He's not a very good player.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:45:03 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
did hunter even play much for denver last year? i dont remember him much at all.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 10:47:21 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
did hunter even play much for denver last year? i dont remember him much at all.
Im pretty sure he was hurt for most of last year.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 11:06:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
LA should trade Odom to GSW for Harrington and Jackson. Now that would be an interesting.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 11:12:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
LA should trade Odom to GSW for Harrington and Jackson. Now that would be an interesting.

I think that would be an atrocious trade for the Warriors.  They'd be trading their emotional leader (and best player) and another guy who fits their system well for a SF who can't hit outside shots consistently.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Wasn't Hunter in Philly?

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 12:12:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I think that would be an atrocious trade for the Warriors.  They'd be trading their emotional leader (and best player) and another guy who fits their system well for a SF who can't hit outside shots consistently.
Or ...

It would give the Warriors the perfect power forward for the system. Also allow Lamar Odom to play in the perfect system for his abilities, much like he did in Miami. Big boost defensively and on the backboards, while giving good offensive production. His contract also comes off the books at the end of the year giving the club much improved financial flexibility, and he should be easy to keep around if they want him to stay.

Secondary benefit in moving an awful contract in Al Harrington who at best is a mediocre performer at power forward. The cost is losing a very talented wing player in Stephen Jackson ..... who is also player expecting a five figure annual salary in his next extension which GSW will not pay or at least should not pay because it destroys the only remaining flexibility the club has.

The reason for LA to do it is of course Stephen Jackson. He'd be a great fit for them defensively and offensively. Harrington could be a fine backup too.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 09:22:37 AM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
why is the title Lakers trade ..., shouldn't it be Celtics trade ?
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:26:16 AM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Just asking, but JDUB are you a lakers fan ?  I wouldnt even trade BBD straight up for Steven Hunter, maybe Pruitt and Scal, but not all three.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I'm with you, Shook - not interested in making this move from our end.

-sw

Me either - although I am still not happy with the 5.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

I'm having a hard time figuring out who's who in this scenario.

Jackson's a head case

Harrington's not a leader

Both shoot threes fairly well

Now that Baron's gone who is their best player?
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 10:28:13 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Who has been advocating that trade since Davis left Oakland.

It makes sense, as it would improve LAL massively and Odom would indeed be a good fit in Nellie's system. At some point, I was actually scared it could happen. However, I'm now convinced it won't:

The Lakers won't do it for financial reasons: they only owe Odom $11 million and they would be taking $33 million in salaries, with $18 million being due in 09/01, when they will be paying big money to Bynum (assuming he earns it this season). That would result in a crazy pay-roll; maybe around $100M for 13 players.

The deal makes less sense for the Warriors after Monta's injury and Maggette's signing, although I have no idea about what is Mullin's plan, if he actually has one. But I think Odom won't be that easy to keep, because Memphis will be under the cap next off-season and Odom would suit their roster. With two contracts expiring in 2010, I think they can get better value than a Odom's one year rental. Also, they have Wright, Randolph and Hendrix who, eventually, are going to need minutes.

If the Warriors are out of the playoffs run by the trade deadline, Mullin should talk to Danny Ferry, for example, and propose Something in the molds of Wally, Boobie (or West), Hickson and a draft pick for Harrington and Jackson. Aprox. $14 million in cap space by the end of the year and a roster of Ellis, Gibson (West), Azubuike, Belinelli, Maggette, Randolph, Wright, Hickson, Hendrix, Turiaf, Biedrins plus draftees. They could then use the cap room to sign Odon as a FA or Jason Kidd. Heck, it's enough to sign them both. Kidd/Ellis/Maggette/Odom/Biedrins with good depth is a contender. Why wouldn't Cleveland do this?