Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179492 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2008, 02:08:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I was wondering if anyone here had read "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.  I was tempted to grab a copy but have heard some mixed reviews about it so I held off.

I read that last year, and loved it.  It took me a little while to warm up to it, because it is a little unconventional (the story is basically told through long letters, and it is easy to lose track of who is telling the story), but once you get into it, it is a great book.  I would highly recommend it.

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I was wondering if anyone here had read "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.  I was tempted to grab a copy but have heard some mixed reviews about it so I held off.

I read that last year, and loved it.  It took me a little while to warm up to it, because it is a little unconventional (the story is basically told through long letters, and it is easy to lose track of who is telling the story), but once you get into it, it is a great book.  I would highly recommend it.

It was not your typical Dracula story.  Not as much action as you might expect.  There's a lot more about the pursuit of Dracula and, as the name might indicate, the history of Dracula (Vlad Tepps).  It was an interesting story, but if you are looking for an action adventure you can eliminate 95% of the book. 

He definitely was a creepy Dracula though once the author, ahem, "sunk her teeth" into him.

I liked the book a lot.  My wife did care for it.
Yup

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It was not your typical Dracula story.  Not as much action as you might expect.  There's a lot more about the pursuit of Dracula and, as the name might indicate, the history of Dracula (Vlad Tepps).  It was an interesting story, but if you are looking for an action adventure you can eliminate 95% of the book. 

He definitely was a creepy Dracula though once the author, ahem, "sunk her teeth" into him.

I am a sucker for a novel when they really get into the history.  I suppose I could just read non-fiction, but novels like this make it a whole lot more interesting.

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I am a sucker for a novel when they really get into the history.  I suppose I could just read non-fiction, but novels like this make it a whole lot more interesting.

Chris: read some Bernard Cornwell stuff then.  Hugely entertaining.  He plugs some great characters into history and mixes and matches fact and fiction amazingly (and he explains which is which at the end of each book if you hadn't caught on).  His Saxon Chronicles are my favorite.  Uhtred is BADASS!
Yup

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Thanks for your thoughts Chris and Redz.  You helped sway me and I just grabbed a copy.  From what I gathered reading the reviews, it seemed as though it was a book you either love or hate. 

Lack of action will not bother me and it doesn't hurt that I enjoy history.  I am actually somewhat fascinated about Vlad Tepes, he is a really interesting historical figure to say the least.  One thing I want to do while I am here in Europe is go see Bran Castle (aka Dracula's Castle).     

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Thanks for your thoughts Chris and Redz.  You helped sway me and I just grabbed a copy.  From what I gathered reading the reviews, it seemed as though it was a book you either love or hate. 

Lack of action will not bother me and it doesn't hurt that I enjoy history.  I am actually somewhat fascinated about Vlad Tepes, he is a really interesting historical figure to say the least.  One thing I want to do while I am here in Europe is go see Bran Castle (aka Dracula's Castle).     

Wow.  Be sure to let us know what that's like.

Enjoy the book and the trip.
Yup

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
magic the gathering
the Odysey series...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108

Wow.  Be sure to let us know what that's like.

Enjoy the book and the trip.

Will do.  I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures.

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i recommend obama's "audicity of hope".  good read and will help in your decision making for the upcoming election.

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2008, 06:19:45 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Plays:

The Odd Couple- Neil Simon
Henry V- William Shakespeare
Long Days Journey Into Night- Eugene O'Neil

Novels

Slaughter House 5- Kurt Vonnegut
The Things They Carried- Tim O'Brien

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Fear Nothing  by Dean Koontz is a pretty cool book, it's a little different then his other books. I have read it twice.

Also the Count of Monte Cristo is always good , it got me into reading and I have read it a few times over the years.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For those into really well thought out science fiction try The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Three long books sometimes broken up into six medium size ones The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God. I wasn't crazy about the ending but for 5 and 1/2 books it was some of the greatest science fiction I ever read.

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2008, 07:36:57 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer - One of my favorite books.

Tell No One by Harlen Coben - A fantastic mystery novel if you're looking for a fun read.

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2008, 07:55:43 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer - One of my favorite books.

Tell No One by Harlen Coben - A fantastic mystery novel if you're looking for a fun read.

My favorite novelist, far, far and away.  I'm a long-time Grisham lover, but he is number two (with Brad Meltzer hovering as a third) these days - the wit of Coben's narration and his unbelievable ability to tie everything together in his endings never cease to amaze me.

MGG, have you read any of his other work?  While each of his novels is top-of-the-line, I'd recommend any of the books in his Myron Bolitar series in particular - just fantastic reading, and 'Win' might be my favorite literary character.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2008, 08:02:39 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
ok, what the heck. i have no idea if this book has been mentioned since i dont have time to review the entire danged thead...hey, the celtics are almost on tv!

watership down.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva