Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 180693 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #405 on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Reading gone girl right now on vacation. Great for that purpose. 😄

How was this? Its next on my list.

The new Pynchon was really good.

Not sure which is his newest or which of his you're referring to but I've read Inherent Vice twice and I love it. Can not wait for the Paul Thomas Anderson adaptation to come out in December.

Inherent Vice is a lot of fun (definitely 'Light' Pynchon) and I'm excited for the film as well, but I was referring to Bleeding Edge:
http://www.amazon.com/Bleeding-Edge-Thomas-Pynchon/dp/1594204233

Right on, I will be sure to check Bleeding Edge out.

« Reply #406 on: April 10, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

It was awesome i thought. made me read her other 2 soon after and i thought they were all really good. cant wait for the movies to come out now  :)

« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

It was awesome i thought. made me read her other 2 soon after and i thought they were all really good. cant wait for the movies to come out now  :)

Good to know, I love Fincher and can't wait for the flick this Fall. TP.

« Reply #408 on: August 24, 2014, 06:08:07 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one as users may want to peruse previous book recommendations.

I am looking for a new book and have had a few disappointments this summer.  I want to get hooked into a new author, but I'm afraid my criteria are limited -- but I seek your advice.

I am a Grisham fan -- his story lines (most) just grab me from the start and his easy to read writing style never leaves me feeling that I have to work too hard.    I read a couple of Michael Connolly (Harry Bosch) books this summer and a couple of David Baldacci (Will Robey) and these were OK but not great.   The last book I read was Mr. Mercedes (Stephen King) and I thought it was great.   It had a suck-me-right-in story line and was an easy read.    I enjoyed Cormac McCarthy's 'Road', but other McCarthy's were just hard reads for me -- I find that I need to refer frequently to my Kindle dictionary -- he makes me work for it.  I did enjoy the two big Dan Brown books and loved Follett's epic historical novels (Pillars of the Earth; World w/o End) and a couple other Follet's (but not as much as Grisham). 

Reading is a nightly pleasure for me -- it is slowly and plodding process and I like to not have to struggle through it.  I don't mind long books as long as they don't drift into boring detail.    I have conquored a few David Mcullough books, but I find it to be a measure of will moreso than pleasure.  He is amazing, but long and tedious.  When done, I am glad I persevered, but the journey is a slow, often nodding off, ride. 
Any can't-put-it-down non-fiction or historical fiction that you recommend?   

Are there Connelly, Baldacci, Turow, Clancy, Patterson books that you particularly recommend?

I am wondering from Stephen King fans if they can recommend anything by him that is like Mr. Mercedes or 11/22/63 which I also liked.  I generally don't like horror, paranormal genre.  But I do like King's writing style.

If there are other Grisham fans out there, who else can you recommend that reminds you of his story-telling and easy to read style.  Obviously, I am not seeking deep, intellectual fulfillment or great artistry -- just an author who can consistently provide a good page-turner.

« Reply #409 on: August 24, 2014, 06:37:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If you've never read it, and think you'd enjoy a kind of realistic post-apocalyptic novel, I highly recommend "The Postman" by David Brin.

No zombies, no supernatural. But compelling story that won't tax your brain too much.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #410 on: August 24, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If you've never read it, and think you'd enjoy a kind of realistic post-apocalyptic novel, I highly recommend "The Postman" by David Brin.

No zombies, no supernatural. But compelling story that won't tax your brain too much.

Is that the same as the movie with Kevin Costner?

« Reply #411 on: August 24, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Is that the same as the movie with Kevin Costner?

It is the book on which the movie was based.  I've seen the movie (liked it)-- still worth a read?

« Reply #412 on: August 24, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one as users may want to peruse previous book recommendations.

I am looking for a new book and have had a few disappointments this summer.  I want to get hooked into a new author, but I'm afraid my criteria are limited -- but I seek your advice.

I am a Grisham fan -- his story lines (most) just grab me from the start and his easy to read writing style never leaves me feeling that I have to work too hard.    I read a couple of Michael Connolly (Harry Bosch) books this summer and a couple of David Baldacci (Will Robey) and these were OK but not great.   The last book I read was Mr. Mercedes (Stephen King) and I thought it was great.   It had a suck-me-right-in story line and was an easy read.    I enjoyed Cormac McCarthy's 'Road', but other McCarthy's were just hard reads for me -- I find that I need to refer frequently to my Kindle dictionary -- he makes me work for it.  I did enjoy the two big Dan Brown books and loved Follett's epic historical novels (Pillars of the Earth; World w/o End) and a couple other Follet's (but not as much as Grisham). 

Reading is a nightly pleasure for me -- it is slowly and plodding process and I like to not have to struggle through it.  I don't mind long books as long as they don't drift into boring detail.    I have conquored a few David Mcullough books, but I find it to be a measure of will moreso than pleasure.  He is amazing, but long and tedious.  When done, I am glad I persevered, but the journey is a slow, often nodding off, ride. 

Are there Connelly, Baldacci, Turow, Clancy, Patterson books that you particularly recommend?

I am wondering from Stephen King fans if they can recommend anything by him that is like Mr. Mercedes or 11/22/63 which I also liked.  I generally don't like horror, paranormal genre.  But I do like King's writing style.

If there are other Grisham fans out there, who else can you recommend that reminds you of his story-telling and easy to read style.  Obviously, I am not seeking deep, intellectual fulfillment or great artistry -- just an author who can consistently provide a good page-turner.

on your King request -- if you haven't read the Dark Tower series, you should.  excellent series.

Dean Koontz is similar in that he writes in the horror genre but I find his endings to be a bit less contrived and several story lines not incredibly out of the realm of reason.

« Reply #413 on: August 24, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

on your King request -- if you haven't read the Dark Tower series, you should.  excellent series.

Dean Koontz is similar in that he writes in the horror genre but I find his endings to be a bit less contrived and several story lines not incredibly out of the realm of reason.

Thanks!

« Reply #414 on: August 24, 2014, 09:45:16 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #415 on: August 25, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'll recommend "The Giver" while it's on my mind.  Haven't seen the movie, but I read the book a longgg time ago and thought it was great.  It's actually incredible if you know anything about Plato's Republic.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #416 on: August 25, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Been reading the Elephant Man. It's incredible and very easy and fast to read

« Reply #417 on: August 25, 2014, 11:42:34 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Rereading Ulysses, definitely recommend it if you're into the nerdy side of sentence construction.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #418 on: August 25, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

could just read "Mail Man having lunch in his truck while delivering mail" and cover all 3 at once ;)

« Reply #419 on: August 25, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
If you're from the Massachusetts area and like to read local stuff that fits the light mystery novel genre, I recommend.

The Philip Craig Martha's Vineyard Series

http://www.amazon.com/Marthas-Vineyard-Mysteries-in-Order/lm/3TG3LCUR1M0UP

They're relatively short and follow 1 Character and his family (ever expanding). They're especially  fun if you're familiar with the area at all.

Staying in that vein is the William Tapply "Brady Coyne" series about a Boston Lawyer/Sleuth that also uses a lot of local geography in the themes and plots.
http://williamgtapply.com/works.html

I suggest both because

1) They're easy reads
2) There are multiple entries in each series
3) They have a local (to me) bent

They've co-written a few together (no more, they both passed) and, if you're a fisherman, some of the plots center around that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:08:15 PM by Eric M VAN »
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd