Author Topic: Anyone watch the training camp scrimmage on NBA TV?  (Read 11236 times)

Re: Anyone watch the training camp scrimmage on NBA TV?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 04:32:29 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Tony Allen, JR Giddens & Bill Walker are all 2 to 3 inches shorter than Pierce with Posey gone Pierce is the only true 3 on the roster?

Walker lined up next to PP on the foul line several times in this scrimmage and he is not really big enough to cover Paul much less Lebron who is another 2 inches>
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Pierce is 6'7 and Walker is probably about 6'5.5 with a long wingspan. 

The question is what position can he play since, considering his height, he's a classic "tweener."

"He's that in size but in body he's a three," Rivers said. "I think he would struggle even more guarding twos. He's athletic enough to, but his body tells you he's a 3 because he's so strong.

Sounds like someone we've been watching for 10 years.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 06:15:18 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's only hyperbole is if it's good comment or so I read on Celticsblog.  Nice evaluations.

I posit that youre opinion and those of the 'POB is too soft" crew will hold on to this feeling in the same way that the  'Doc cant coach' and 'Boston needs another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crews..  We are literally going to need the 'jaws of life' to survive these posts.  

We did also have issues in the playoffs at PG against Hunter.

And POB IS soft. Doc also said he hopes POB can contribute BY THE END OF THE SEASON. I'm hoping POB will show something earlier, but it's just a fan's hope.

Yep like when Sam Cassell got stripped by Lindsey Hunter in the playoffs.. I guess my point is being missed.  And your concern over POB without sufficient evidence is similar to 'The C's need another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crew.  And what does contributing by the end of the season (in caps) have to do with being soft?

'Without sufficient evidence'? Why are you assuming that? Ugh.

His being soft is irrelevant to Doc's comment. Doc's comment is Doc's expectations. Doc isn't expecting much early on. The 'soft' is based on his skill set and how he plays in games. He can still contribute while being overpowered by stronger players. Being soft and contributing are not mutually exclusive. Everyone has shortcomings.

He is good at alley oops though. KG could have fun with him.

Instead of getting bothered by people who evaluate his ability, you should get bothered by the people who make conclusions that he will be a bust or won't be able to contribute in the system. We don't really know this until they get on the floor together.

I was never among the anti-Doc crew, nor was I a Hunter-pressure-panic crew member. I also do not say that POB is 'too' soft. We have to see how he fits before we conclude that his softness is a problem. I will also withhold judgment on the pickup for the first few months as we work him in to the system.

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 07:54:27 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Tony Allen, JR Giddens & Bill Walker are all 2 to 3 inches shorter than Pierce with Posey gone Pierce is the only true 3 on the roster?

Walker lined up next to PP on the foul line several times in this scrimmage and he is not really big enough to cover Paul much less Lebron who is another 2 inches>

Being tall enough to get a hand on Lebrons jumper isnt that huge of a concern.  Being tough and phsyical enough of a defender to force him to shoot jumpers is my concern.  My point was that Bill Walker, of our undersized SF's seems the like the best guy to be able to handle that task because he seems much thicker than both TA and JR.  Bill Walker needs to be able to play good defense in the first place anyway, but from what Ive read about him is that hes capable of being a above average NBA defender at the very least.
Greg

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 08:01:46 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Being tall enough to get a hand on Lebrons jumper isnt that huge of a concern.  Being tough and phsyical enough of a defender to force him to shoot jumpers is my concern.  My point was that Bill Walker, of our undersized SF's seems the like the best guy to be able to handle that task because he seems much thicker than both TA and JR.  Bill Walker needs to be able to play good defense in the first place anyway, but from what Ive read about him is that hes capable of being a above average NBA defender at the very least.

I think TA would be better on LBJ because of experience alone, Walker still has a lot to learn in this league.  TA's (lack of) size only encourages Lebron to do the exact thing we want him to do, settle for jumpers.  TA's foot quickness should keep LBJ out of the lane, and hopefully draw some offensive fouls too.

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
It's only hyperbole is if it's good comment or so I read on Celticsblog.  Nice evaluations.

I posit that youre opinion and those of the 'POB is too soft" crew will hold on to this feeling in the same way that the  'Doc cant coach' and 'Boston needs another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crews..  We are literally going to need the 'jaws of life' to survive these posts.  

We did also have issues in the playoffs at PG against Hunter.

And POB IS soft. Doc also said he hopes POB can contribute BY THE END OF THE SEASON. I'm hoping POB will show something earlier, but it's just a fan's hope.

Yep like when Sam Cassell got stripped by Lindsey Hunter in the playoffs.. I guess my point is being missed.  And your concern over POB without sufficient evidence is similar to 'The C's need another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crew.  And what does contributing by the end of the season (in caps) have to do with being soft?

'Without sufficient evidence'? Why are you assuming that? Ugh.

His being soft is irrelevant to Doc's comment. Doc's comment is Doc's expectations. Doc isn't expecting much early on. The 'soft' is based on his skill set and how he plays in games. He can still contribute while being overpowered by stronger players. Being soft and contributing are not mutually exclusive. Everyone has shortcomings.

He is good at alley oops though. KG could have fun with him.

Instead of getting bothered by people who evaluate his ability, you should get bothered by the people who make conclusions that he will be a bust or won't be able to contribute in the system. We don't really know this until they get on the floor together.

I was never among the anti-Doc crew, nor was I a Hunter-pressure-panic crew member. I also do not say that POB is 'too' soft. We have to see how he fits before we conclude that his softness is a problem. I will also withhold judgment on the pickup for the first few months as we work him in to the system.

Being 'soft' has a negative connotation to me but, maybe not for everyone.  I assumed most might give him a few months before he was labeled as 'soft'.  It's the jumping to conclusions without having any actual evidence that sort of bothers me but, maybe you have more information than the few minutes that he's played for GS to go on.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »

Offline POBstuntin

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 17
It makes me nervous when Doc goes out of his way to mention Patty O, I think he may have been emotionally damaged by his time with don nelson or maybe by Jason Richardson....http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2008/09/chuck-prankster.html

The first clip is priceless but check out the one underneath it and what mean J Rich does to poor POB