Author Topic: Anyone watch the training camp scrimmage on NBA TV?  (Read 11260 times)

Anyone watch the training camp scrimmage on NBA TV?
« on: October 04, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I wanted to know if anyone watched the Celtics training camp scrimmage on NBA TV.

Patty O'Bryant was lookin alright.  I watched him knock down a 15-18 foot jumper, and he had a block on the defense end.  He's been playing with the first unit, so hes been guarding big baby on defense, which kind of takes away the excitement of the blocked shot a little.  I'd really like to see him guarding KG in practices and scrimmages since Perk isnt there, but oh well. 

Seeing him knock down that 15-18ft jumper is pretty exciting to see.  If O'Bryant can be a effective enough bench player and even on top of that come in and be able to knock down a midrange jumper, it'll really be a boost to the offense.  So many times last year teams just abandoned Perk at the top of the key when the offense was being run and it really messed things up sometimes, having a center that can come in and hit a midrange shot would be huge.  Im not sold on O'Bryant yet, dont get me wrong, but so far Im liking what I see.

Another side note which was pretty annoying.  Two times on offense Tony Allen looked like a black hole.  He tried to post up and ate up the whole shot clock and it led to nothing.  He's had the tendancy to be a ballhog before and do some real knucklehead things, its kind of annoying to still see.  The man is playing his best ball when he recieves a pass and just the takes the ball straight to the hoop, and if nothings there, just get rid of it.

No Bill Walker highlights to report yet.

Greg

Re: Anyone watch the training camp scrimmage on NBA TV?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Yes I watched.  I wished they showed the entire scrimmage instead of all the drills in the beginning.

O'Bryant did look ok out there when he played- the block on BBD was nice.  Miles just checked into the game when they basically were wrapping up so didn't get to see him too much.

The big 3 were on top of their game as usual.

Based on that 1 practice I'd say the odd man out is Giddens.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
giddens still trying to learn....miles didn't look so good today...didn't see much of walker today also....pruitt could be the one we might deal..or miles will be the cut..hard to say right now...

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Yeah Giddens didnt even play in the portion they showed.

They had TA guarding Pierce which was nice to get a look at.  He stole the ball once from Pierce, but then a couple trips down later Pierce just pulled up right in front of him and buried a jumper, with no attempt to block from TA.

Hopefully Lebron will not have figured out how to hit a jumper with any consistency once the season starts. haha.
Greg

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
giddens still trying to learn....miles didn't look so good today...didn't see much of walker today also....pruitt could be the one we might deal..or miles will be the cut..hard to say right now...

Pruitt didnt really look that good.  He took a couple bad shots and forced a few passes. Hes still so young though and hasnt really had a chance.  I'd really hate to get rid of him just to roll the dice with Miles or keep Sam around.

We'll see what happens.  I still think Darius Miles is really going to have to show A LOT if hes going to make the team. 
Greg

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Some observations:
- everybody looks in great shape (especially Pierce and Ray)
- POB looks like a nice addition on defense but offensively he couldn`t even score on Big Baby. I don`t think we can count on him to give us some post up game but he did hit a nice jumper, so that is a part of his game where he can help us on offense.
- Gabe Pruitt played a lot at SG and he looked good
- Giddens looked lost again in the drills
- Walker was invisible but at least he knew the plays, same with Miles...
- Perk looked great. He dunked the ball in drills without a problem, so he is ready to play they are just being cautious with him...
- Rondo looks much stronger
- Cassell was more of a spectator and a coach
- Tony looked healthy but offensively he just tried to do too much...

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla

Pruitt didnt really look that good.  He took a couple bad shots and forced a few passes. Hes still so young though and hasnt really had a chance.  I'd really hate to get rid of him just to roll the dice with Miles or keep Sam around.

We'll see what happens.  I still think Darius Miles is really going to have to show A LOT if hes going to make the team. 

i'm still pulling for miles to make this team...pruitt is young but i don't see him doing very much for this team....

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
I would LOVE for Miles to make this team.  As long as its because hes shown Doc that his knee is going to be fine and he will be able to contribute.  I just dont want to dump away youth and potential in Pruitt just to put Portland in a bad situation.

However I do agree Pruitt isnt a vital piece of our youth and future, and if we SOMEHOW could unload him with Scalabrine in a deal, Id be all over it because it would also leave a spot open for PJ or whoever, later in the year.
Greg

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
I would LOVE for Miles to make this team.  As long as its because hes shown Doc that his knee is going to be fine and he will be able to contribute.  I just dont want to dump away youth and potential in Pruitt just to put Portland in a bad situation.

However I do agree Pruitt isnt a vital piece of our youth and future, and if we SOMEHOW could unload him with Scalabrine in a deal, Id be all over it because it would also leave a spot open for PJ or whoever, later in the year.

exactly a 2 for one deal is the best...i could see a scal and pruitt deal or scal and davis....just to hard to tell right now...scal 3 mil a year would have to be in any deal if we want anything back that we could use...if not we will deal a pruitt or davis for future 2nd round pick....

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 11:10:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I set my DVR to record the re-broadcast tomorrow at 8pm I believe. Wish I had know about it earlier today.

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 11:42:04 PM »

Offline CountChockula

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
What shocked me is that Doc had to stop pratice to tell them to watch their man and the ball ??? Don't you learn that in like 6th grade?! Yeah J.R. might be a rookie but thats like CYO stuff. Maybe he'll learn in Utah with the D squad.

It was good to see Tony Allen without a brace on ;D

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I like Walker. Giddens looked lost. Paddy looked as soft as I've always remembered him.

But you don't make evaluations on one practice - or one set of hyperbole from the staff.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
It's only hyperbole is if it's good comment or so I read on Celticsblog.  Nice evaluations.

I posit that youre opinion and those of the 'POB is too soft" crew will hold on to this feeling in the same way that the  'Doc cant coach' and 'Boston needs another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crews..  We are literally going to need the 'jaws of life' to survive these posts.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:05:28 AM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Giddens will be fine, he follows the the Allen Iverson school of thought:

"Practice?  What are we talking about ... Practice?  We're talking about practice, man"

;D

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
'Boston needs another PG to survive Lindsey Hunter' crews

haha I wont lie.  I was on that boat after the first 2 months of the season.  Seems silly looking back.
Greg