Author Topic: Pruitt=Invisible Man??  (Read 4169 times)

Pruitt=Invisible Man??
« on: October 03, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Walker has been noticed.
Giddens is behind in scheme recognition.
Patty has gotten his praise from the staff.
Tony has been an MVP of practice.

But no mention of Gabe...why?

Is he doing well?
Is he doing poorly?
Is he doing anything?

Come on Gabe...wake up!!  Your Celtics career is at stake.

The (bandwagon) bus is leaving!  Are you with us??

Re: Pruitt=Invisible Man??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Walker has been noticed.
Giddens is behind in scheme recognition.
Patty has gotten his praise from the staff.
Tony has been an MVP of practice.

But no mention of Gabe...why?

Is he doing well?
Is he doing poorly?
Is he doing anything?

Come on Gabe...wake up!!  Your Celtics career is at stake.

The (bandwagon) bus is leaving!  Are you with us??

i really think people attach to much significane to people getting thiere name dropped in the practice reports. remeber when wallacewas, (probley going to mangle the qoute) "so ready to play, all he does is compete, he wants that roster spot and right now he's defintly on his way"

i think 2 days later he got cut.

Gabe will recive his token recognition in the coming days. if i were him, i'd be more worried about playing up to the free press he got last year when danny and doc said they were "very excited" to see him in the preseason this year.

Because if he doesn't and miles looks good, he's the logical cut.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:33:01 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I'm pretty sure Doc did mention Gabe.  He talked about how he has to compete against Eddie and Sam for the backup spots, and how he needs to be more assertive running the offense.  But he also said that he was young, and that it would come to him.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:19:05 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm pretty sure Doc did mention Gabe.  He talked about how he has to compete against Eddie and Sam for the backup spots, and how he needs to be more assertive running the offense.  But he also said that he was young, and that it would come to him.

Yes he did say exactly that.  I hope he makes the team but he is in a tough position with 2 vets Cassell and House ahead of him.   The writing on the wall doesn't look good right now but I still think he has the talent to really make it in this league. 

I really hope Doc stays true to his word and doesn't play the starters or even established role players like House too much in the pre-season.   I would even consider starting the young guys including Pruitt in a game to see what they do against other teams starting units to see more of what they can do.  I realize the coaches already see them go up against our first team in practice but at the very least you have to showcase these guys for a potential trade before the regular season to open up a roster spot. 

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i really want to see what this guy is all about. we have seen him play so little that we can't even say he's a bad player. maybe he's the next ryan gomes. who knows?

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I still believe Pruitt will be cut. If they hadn't signed Cassell, he might have had a chance.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 09:35:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I still believe Pruitt will be cut. If they hadn't signed Cassell, he might have had a chance.

Cassell would not be on a non-guaranteed contract if they didn't believe in Pruitt's potential both short and long term. Remember, when Danny had to choose between Gabe and Glen Davis, he choose Pruitt, not because of his readiness, but because of his clear upside. The guy would be entering his junior year in college right now, and he basically tore up the d-league last year, not to mention shooting the ball very well in ltd mins in the bigs last year.  Not saying he won't get cut, but don't underestimate their attraction to his game.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Pruitt does NOT have a total game package.  His strength seems to be his offense, which he appears able to demonstrate against lower levels of competition.  At the NBA level it's just as important to defend as it is to score and Pruitt is not a good one-on-one defender (based on the few occasions that I saw him play) however, he does  defend the passing lanes quite well.

As a combo guard Gabe is undersized at the 2 and lacks the handles and mindset of a PG.  When open he shows a silky stroke but has trouble creating separation for his own shot and lacks the demonstrated ability to create for others.

I like his athleticism but am disappointed that his basketball IQ isn't better and that he doesn't appear to be an instinctive opportunist as an NBA talent.

I therefore wonder that so many bloggers want him to stay and fill a roster spot.  He is far from game ready and unless he does a remarkable turn-around will not prove to be an asset to this team.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 09:32:40 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
Pruitt does NOT have a total game package.  His strength seems to be his offense, which he appears able to demonstrate against lower levels of competition.  At the NBA level it's just as important to defend as it is to score and Pruitt is not a good one-on-one defender (based on the few occasions that I saw him play) however, he does  defend the passing lanes quite well.

As a combo guard Gabe is undersized at the 2 and lacks the handles and mindset of a PG.  When open he shows a silky stroke but has trouble creating separation for his own shot and lacks the demonstrated ability to create for others.

I like his athleticism but am disappointed that his basketball IQ isn't better and that he doesn't appear to be an instinctive opportunist as an NBA talent.

I therefore wonder that so many bloggers want him to stay and fill a roster spot.  He is far from game ready and unless he does a remarkable turn-around will not prove to be an asset to this team.

Well I respect your opinion I just wonder if "based on the few occasions I saw him play" is from garbage minutes last year where it really doesn't tell you a whole lot.  To be fair many rookies struggle with defense in their rookie year.  Your analysis actually almost sounds like bigger version of Eddie House with more athleticism and the D not as good.   Here is some analysis from people in the know.

03/15/07

Scouting Report: An athletic, good scoring point guard.

Strengths: Good height for the point guard spot.  Very athletic and explosive.  Good jumping ability.  Can really push the ball and get up and down the court.  Blow-by ability in the half court.  Very good scorer.  Hits a ton of three-pointers – averaged over two a game for his career.  Great free throw shooter.  Really improved his playmaking and assist to turnover ratio.  Gets lots of steals.

Weaknesses: Needs to add weight for the NBA.  Missed first 11 games his junior season due to academic problems.  Missed five games his sophomore year due to injury.  Needs to work on his point guard skills since he hasn’t always played the 1spot.

from 1/18/08

But to learn more about his NBA potential, the best person to ask is probably Utah Flash coach Brad Jones, for whom Pruitt played parts of this season in the NBA Development League.

"He'll grow into being a pure point guard," said Jones by telephone. "He's a playmaker and if you can pass the ball to set people up like he can, you can be a point guard. When he is in the mind-set of setting people up, he can be a point guard."

"I like Gabe Pruitt a lot," said director of basketball operations Danny Ainge recently. "I just can't get him minutes."

"I'm really proud of him," Rivers said. "All we work with him on is his defense. His offense is good."

from 07/03/08
Assistant coach Armond Hill described Pruitt as "polished" after yesterday's workout, and general manager Danny Ainge praised his growth as a player.

"Gabe looked good," Ainge said. "I think in as much as his body looks better than it did a year ago, he's more confident in his game and his shot. But it's one practice."

So we have some opinions from a scout, a GM, D league coach, head coach, and assistant coach at 3 different points in time over the last year or so.  It's not much at all really but these guys see him play much more than any of us to form an opinion and unless if they are blowing some smoke there seems to be at least some promise here otherwise I'm not sure he returns for training camp this year.  The big difference in comparing the hype and some kind words from the Celtics brass about Brandon Wallace a year ago is that we didn't keep Wallace for a whole year and not even half a year while Pruitt is still around so that says something in itself.

We all have questions including myself about what he can do in the NBA and I hope gets a ton of minutes in the preseason so I can get a better feel if we should keep him.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 10:31:40 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 11:39:18 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Doc says today likely we will keep all 4 point guards on the final roster.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_10_04_Working_on_point_system:_Celtics_making_grade/srvc=celtics&position=1

well, if  doc is to be believed on this one then THE question is which celtics gets axed?

unless a trade appears, the likely candidates for not wearing green this fall would seem to be one of these four...

giddens - a rookie, way down the depth chart. but, a first round pick with some guaranteed money.

walker - see above but without the guaranteed first round money. but the recent seems to show doc loves him.

miles - possible. but unlikely. unless his knees explode or he decides to revert to his prior bone-headedness or he simply can not pick up the celtics plays, he seems destined to be the celtics 6th or 7th man.

scal - nice guy, smart, good team player, a cut here means eating salary for the celtics. but in terms of talent, he is the bottom feeder of this group. played very few minutes last year so he is not part of any rotation.

which one? danged if i know  for sure. but personally i hope scal is the one to go.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I could see Big Baby and Scal going for a single backup 4/5.  Scal adds some salary to the trade, BB some upside.  Giddens and Pruitt to the developmental league.