Author Topic: Bill Walker got into it a little with Garnett in practice  (Read 15535 times)

Re: Bill Walker got into it a little with Garnett in practice
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I have absolutely no problem with guys getting into it during training camp.  I think it builds team character. 

I love this stuff.

Agreed, I think it is good stuff.  And thank goodness Walker isn't over in Europe somewhere wasting a year. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Walker actually has a reputation as an overly-emotional player. From http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bill-Walker-552/

"The one major concern that arose from this past weekend’s games is something that has always been an issue when talking about Walker: his emotions. It has been well documented that Walker is a fiery competitor, but also at times very unstable with how he handles himself on the court. The specific incident that triggered this response came when a minor altercation occurred between Walker and Brian Butch of Wisconsin in which Walker was pushed to the floor by Butch. While things didn’t escalate between the two players, Walker’s demeanor clearly changed after this, often clapping wildly on defense perhaps as a means of firing himself up even more. These issues can be a reason for concern for GM’s in today’s image conscious NBA."

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 12:52:55 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
hands down, we have the toughest team in the league. 

I wouldn't discount the prospects of a 70 win regular season this year.

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Walker actually has a reputation as an overly-emotional player. From http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bill-Walker-552/

"The one major concern that arose from this past weekend’s games is something that has always been an issue when talking about Walker: his emotions. It has been well documented that Walker is a fiery competitor, but also at times very unstable with how he handles himself on the court. The specific incident that triggered this response came when a minor altercation occurred between Walker and Brian Butch of Wisconsin in which Walker was pushed to the floor by Butch. While things didn’t escalate between the two players, Walker’s demeanor clearly changed after this, often clapping wildly on defense perhaps as a means of firing himself up even more. These issues can be a reason for concern for GM’s in today’s image conscious NBA."

so...he got mad and he clapped alot more. ok.

well, to me, that sounds fine. I was expecting it to end in a "then got ejected" way.

a guy who takes everything to seriously and fires him and his teamates up after even minor precived slights... i know a guy like that...i think he wears 5, and i wouldn't change his demeanor for the world. ;)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:18:34 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
KG is pretty intense is practice, maybe too much so.  He's punched at least two of his teammates in the past (Wally and Rick Rickert).  Usually, though, these things don't amount to anything; didn't Powe and BBD get into it once last year at practice?

In KG's defense, if there were ever two guys who deserved to be punched during the last 10 years of Minnesota basketball, they'd be Wally Szczerbiak and Rick Rickert.

Not that I condone violence...

Yeah Rickert really deserved to be punched if this story is the case.  ::)

At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster. [/qoute]

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Roy I agree wholeheartedly... I love this Walker kid, I was pumped when we got him.

I HATED passing on CDR in favor of a punk who will be out of the league very soon (JR Giddens)

I HATED picking up Darius

I HATED losing Posey

I HATED picking up that stiff O Bryant

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Roy, You were most excited about the Walker draft. Am starting to see why. This kid could become our back-up 3 real quick, maybe leaving Miles odd man out, based on Doc's comments (he's a 3 not a 4).

Yeah, I love Walker.  I've been down on a few of the moves this offseason, but I think getting Walker for straight cash was brilliant.  It shocks me that no other team wanted to take a fairly minimal gamble on this kid.  Without exaggeration, he could be one of the top seven or eight players to come out of this draft.  It might take him a year or two, but I think he'll get there.

I agree.  I was shocked at how much of an "afterthought" he seemed to become during the draft.  I was hoping the C's would grab him before the draft and I was absolutely thrilled when we traded for him for basiacally nothing. 

i think we're all in agreement, i was p---ed when they went with giddens in the first, becuase i wanted walker with that pic. i stopped watching after the first round and was excited by the news that we aquired him. EASILY the best move of the offseason. (followed by POB)

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 02:25:57 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Roy I agree wholeheartedly... I love this Walker kid, I was pumped when we got him.

I HATED passing on CDR in favor of a punk who will be out of the league very soon (JR Giddens)

I HATED picking up Darius

I HATED losing Posey

I HATED picking up that stiff O Bryant

Lucky for us you're probably gonna be wrong on every count.  ;D
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
KG is pretty intense is practice, maybe too much so.  He's punched at least two of his teammates in the past (Wally and Rick Rickert).  Usually, though, these things don't amount to anything; didn't Powe and BBD get into it once last year at practice?

In KG's defense, if there were ever two guys who deserved to be punched during the last 10 years of Minnesota basketball, they'd be Wally Szczerbiak and Rick Rickert.

Not that I condone violence...

Yeah Rickert really deserved to be punched if this story is the case.  ::)

At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster.

That was written by Charlie Walters if I recall, who is known by the StarTribune reading community to have many off based opinions, grudges (one against KG), and to fabricate rumors.

I've read and heard enough other accounts of the story that swear Rickert was setting continual hard back-screens and throwing a lot of elbows during the friendly scrimmage.  After several warnings by KG to tone it down, he kept doing it while probably running his mouth, and ended up getting a mouthful or KG's fist because of it.

I wasn't there... duh... so there's no 100% definitive truth, but again, if there was anyone that I'd believe was pulling this crap, it'd be Rickert.  He is a tool and thought of himself as Dirk Nowitski reborn.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:15:11 PM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 04:05:11 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think this is great.  Any chance KG was steaming about it after practice?  Or would he, every vet AND the coaching staff be happy that the young guys are gonna fight for every minute and everything for that matter.  Youngster showed he isn't going to be intimidated by anyone.  Its great to have the skills of Ray Allen on your team but you also need the Leon Powes of the world.
No blounts on this team!

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 04:19:47 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think this is great.  Any chance KG was steaming about it after practice?  Or would he, every vet AND the coaching staff be happy that the young guys are gonna fight for every minute and everything for that matter.  Youngster showed he isn't going to be intimidated by anyone.  Its great to have the skills of Ray Allen on your team but you also need the Leon Powes of the world.
No blounts on this team!

I am surprised KG never punched Blount

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 04:22:48 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Yeps. I didn't watch that particular episode, but Walker is clearly too fierce and emotional on the court, in a bad way. The kind of player who wants to score on his direct opponent after every time he scores on him or goes for some crazy shot-block attempt because he feels the team needs a stop. He can make some ill-advised plays on both sides of the court when things are not going well, including, I presume, throwing some elbows (not saying it was what happened here, I have no idea). I'm not worried about the image thing, he won't start punching refs or anything of that kind, but this is also, I'd say mostly, a problem from a coaches perspective and it must be corrected.

The only of correcting it is by practicing, playing though scrimmages. The veterans and the coaching staff will eventually find ways of humbling the kid and making him more poised and disciplined.

In general, this is a good thing. Guys are practicing hard, whit competitiveness, and, as the old saying states, only perfect practice makes perfection. You have to practice with the same desire and effort you play.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeps. I didn't watch that particular episode, but Walker is clearly too fierce and emotional on the court, in a bad way. The kind of player who wants to score on his direct opponent after every time he scores on him or goes for some crazy shot-block attempt because he feels the team needs a stop. He can make some ill-advised plays on both sides of the court when things are not going well, including, I presume, throwing some elbows (not saying it was what happened here, I have no idea). I'm not worried about the image thing, he won't start punching refs or anything of that kind, but this is also, I'd say mostly, a problem from a coaches perspective and it must be corrected.

Sounds a whole lot like a guy who he is practicing against...

Hopefully KG can help him with some personal experiences of learning how to control his emotions, and use them as a positive rather than a negative.

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
No blounts on this team!

I am surprised KG never punched Blount

He probably tried to, but Blount couldn't "catch" the punch.  :P

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Johnny, I have to give you a TP for that 4;59 pm comment. It describes Blount perfectly. lol
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine