Author Topic: Bill Walker got into it a little with Garnett in practice  (Read 15540 times)

Bill Walker got into it a little with Garnett in practice
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:52:36 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Did you watch FS tonight last night?

There was no physical confrontation, but apparently Walker who was guarding Pierce elbowed KG incidentally and KG took exception, and Walker didn't back off.

They showed the tape and KG looked very angry, but you have got to admit, this will definitely earn some respect from the alpha males on the team (KG, Pierce, Allen, etc). Standing up against the big guys shows courage and I think Walker demonstrated that. He's here to play not to be bossed around.

Re: Bill Walker got into it a little with Garnett in practice
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:54:11 AM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
Does anybody have a link to this Video?

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
they were both going for a loose ball, and they had words. i'm sure that if anything it showed KG how intense and hard he's playing. i'm looking at this as a step forward, the kid didn't back down.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:03:56 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
KG is pretty intense is practice, maybe too much so.  He's punched at least two of his teammates in the past (Wally and Rick Rickert).  Usually, though, these things don't amount to anything; didn't Powe and BBD get into it once last year at practice?

In terms of Walker, I agree, it's good that he didn't back down.  It shows he's not intimidated to be on this stage.  (Let's hope, of course, that the elbows were completely accidental, as I'm sure they were.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have absolutely no problem with guys getting into it during training camp.  I think it builds team character. 

I love this stuff.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:04:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Roy, You were most excited about the Walker draft. Am starting to see why. This kid could become our back-up 3 real quick, maybe leaving Miles odd man out, based on Doc's comments (he's a 3 not a 4).

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I have absolutely no problem with guys getting into it during training camp.  I think it builds team character. 

I love this stuff.

I hear ya on this. I remember last year Powe and BBaby were killing each other in pratice. Only adds to intensity of the team. I think it brings these guys together, sort of like when you fight with you brothers. At the end of the day I think Garnett ends up having more respect for Walker. In all this makes for a better bench as these guy are fired up to kill the other team. 

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 10:14:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Roy, You were most excited about the Walker draft. Am starting to see why. This kid could become our back-up 3 real quick, maybe leaving Miles odd man out, based on Doc's comments (he's a 3 not a 4).

Yeah, I love Walker.  I've been down on a few of the moves this offseason, but I think getting Walker for straight cash was brilliant.  It shocks me that no other team wanted to take a fairly minimal gamble on this kid.  Without exaggeration, he could be one of the top seven or eight players to come out of this draft.  It might take him a year or two, but I think he'll get there.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, I love Walker.  I've been down on a few of the moves this offseason, but I think getting Walker for straight cash was brilliant.  It shocks me that no other team wanted to take a fairly minimal gamble on this kid.  Without exaggeration, he could be one of the top seven or eight players to come out of this draft.  It might take him a year or two, but I think he'll get there.

I agree.  I was shocked at how much of an "afterthought" he seemed to become during the draft.  I was hoping the C's would grab him before the draft and I was absolutely thrilled when we traded for him for basiacally nothing. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 10:44:01 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Good for the kid, Gets him some respect (This is what rondo was credited for last year, not backing down when people were in his ear)

and it helps put KG back in "I WILL EAT YOUR BABIES!" mode, which is right where i want him  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
KG is pretty intense is practice, maybe too much so.  He's punched at least two of his teammates in the past (Wally and Rick Rickert).  Usually, though, these things don't amount to anything; didn't Powe and BBD get into it once last year at practice?

In KG's defense, if there were ever two guys who deserved to be punched during the last 10 years of Minnesota basketball, they'd be Wally Szczerbiak and Rick Rickert.

Not that I condone violence...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 11:19:33 AM »

Offline Manzana

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
One of the things about returning champs is always the question of "Do they still have that fire?" Well, Walker won't be getting a ring and this kind of intensity will only raise the quality of the practices. There is such a thing as good intensity and bad.. I am sure Doc and the coaching staff can tell which is which.

In something that is a tiny bit similar.. when Papelbon was coming up in spring training... there was a spring training game where he buzzed a couple of people from an opposing team in retaliation. It made for a lot of positive feedback from his teamates. Obviously Walker isn't mixing it up with some other club, but this intensity can only give his teammates a better feel for who he is, and that he isn't afraid to mix it up with anyone.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 11:24:14 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

I feel a bit like a one-trick pony, since everything I've written on this board in teh last few months has been about him. We really have a steal here, Pierce's backup and successor, I think. That he won't back down from KG is even more impressive.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I am with you on this.  I was amazed that Walker was dropping  even to the bottom of the first round, let alone the second.  To me, the only red flag he had was the injury.  When you weigh that against the fact that half of the other guys simply were not talented, I would take the chance on the injured guy.

I love hearing these stories though.  In addition to his confrontation with Garnett, I also love to hear that he kept taking the ball to the hoop hard and finishing strong.  He didn't do that as much as I would have liked in college (he was often playing in the post when I saw him, and was not overly aggressive), but with his size and athleticism, it should be a big part of his game in the pros.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 11:41:22 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47

There was alot of talk about Walker being a 20-30 first round pick. We pick him up for some minimal cash. Worst case he doesn't pan out and he's out of the league. Not like we wasted a pick, even if it was our 2nd round pick it would have been a good gamble.

While he's a different type of player then Powe, I see him having the same mind set. Knowing that he should have been a top 15 pick but injuries have almost made them miss out on even getting drafted. Powes played like he's got a chip on his sholder and I see Walker doing the same.