Author Topic: I play for a reason not a season  (Read 1484 times)

I play for a reason not a season
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Anybody miss West on Media Day? I sure did. Anyway, one of my favorite excerpts:

Quote from: Akron Beacon Journal
Delonte West, in camp with his new three-year contract, said the reports over the summer that he might join a new trend of players going to play in Europe took him off guard. One outlet reported he might have been headed to Russia. ''I don't know where that came from, that scared me to death,'' West said. ''I'm more of a Maryland, West Virginia, maybe Atlanta type of guy. I ain't going nowhere.''

''You may think I am joking, but I'd play for free. I play for a reason not a season,'' West said. ''The first amount they threw out there, I couldn't believe it, that was, whew, more money than my whole family had seen if you add everybody's salaries up. I'm talking about 10 brothers and sisters. The holdout was about me getting a sense of the team wanting me to be here.''

Anyway, fingers crossed for his future success in Cleveland, if it comes at Wally Szczerbiak's expense even better...

Re: I play for a reason not a season
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I read that earlier, and he doesn't make any sense. If he didn't care about money then he would have accepted the smaller offers from Cleveland. I know bball rumor sites aren't 100% credible, but isn't it a little ironic that he's making just slightly more each year than Gibson.
I know I'm not the only one that read how he wanted to make more as a starter versus Gibson as a bench guard. It looks like they mirrored Gibson's contract and added like 10-15% as an increase.

Oh well. The guy's great but shouldn't beat around the bush about wanting his money(as I was completely on his side about starters making their cash) Cleveland would have been screwed without him, and it sucks for us to see him going back, but Cleveland has only made one true upgrade, and who knows if they'll mesh. Best best for them is to trade Wally for a more consistent shooter.
Can't stop, Rondo!