Author Topic: 6th Man?  (Read 6695 times)

Re: 6th Man?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
TA has to get the vote now based on familiarity, flexibility and defense. I have been pretty high on the bench all summer. Glad to see the uptick in enthusiasm (optimism). We are more experienced and deeper in most positions than at the beginning of last season. Pretty sure PJ Brown will be available come Jan.; but even think we are better off at center than the beginning of last season with POB. Good to see that he will be getting time with the starters early. Miles, Giddins and Walker all potential bright spots. Again overlapping potential is the key. If one does not work out someone else can step in.

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 08:49:24 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
Think people are also underestimating the value of being able to throw out very different looks for the other team to respond to. If the push POB around put in BBD. Think we will miss Posey's shooting more than his defense. No more House, RAllen, PPierce, Posey, Garnett lineups.

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 10:09:34 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think we my also need to consider Perk's health when discussing a 6th man role. Hopefully he is 110% to start the season. If not, we will see a revolving door of POB/Powe/BBD/Scalabrine coming off the bench and starting as we struggle to get a reliable bigman rotation.

As to James Posey, Crownsy nailed it when he mentioned that top bench players dont slip to the end of the off season unsigned. Posey was coming off some tough times in Miami and had a lot to prove to himself and everyone else. Lucky for us he rebounded with an excellent season.

I remember a lot of people advocating 'Starting Tony Allen' at the SG and using Ray Allen as the 6th man through the first few months of the season. Posey's name wasnt even in that discussion. This was the same time that a lot of people here were questioning Rondo's ability to be our PG. Some even insisting we couldnt win in the playoffs without a veteran PG.

The first man off the bench will be an interesting race this preseason. I am rooting for Tony Allen or Eddie House. If it is Darius Miles or POB, we are going to have a great year IMO. That will mean that many (most) of us were wrong about at least one if not both of them. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 11:06:55 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
I think we my also need to consider Perk's health when discussing a 6th man role. Hopefully he is 110% to start the season. If not, we will see a revolving door of POB/Powe/BBD/Scalabrine coming off the bench and starting as we struggle to get a reliable bigman rotation.

As to James Posey, Crownsy nailed it when he mentioned that top bench players dont slip to the end of the off season unsigned. Posey was coming off some tough times in Miami and had a lot to prove to himself and everyone else. Lucky for us he rebounded with an excellent season.

I remember a lot of people advocating 'Starting Tony Allen' at the SG and using Ray Allen as the 6th man through the first few months of the season. Posey's name wasnt even in that discussion. This was the same time that a lot of people here were questioning Rondo's ability to be our PG. Some even insisting we couldnt win in the playoffs without a veteran PG.

The first man off the bench will be an interesting race this preseason. I am rooting for Tony Allen or Eddie House. If it is Darius Miles or POB, we are going to have a great year IMO. That will mean that many (most) of us were wrong about at least one if not both of them. 8)

I would love to be wrong if it means that Miles and POB show us something (again the idea of people contributing at different positions).

As for last year was surprised to see that TA was pretty efficient during the reg season. Know people aren't wild about +- stats; but TA was in 7 of top 10 5 player lineups during the reg season. Posey was in 6 / House 4. During the playoffs, Posey was in 6, Cassell 5, House 2 (higher ranked combos). For individual Lenovo Stats during the regular season after the starters it was House, TA, Posey and during the playoffs it was House, Cassell, Posey. So House was big last year and I think we can put more fire power out on the floor with him which can only help.

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 07:19:16 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think it's TA's job to lose. But if Miles is the real deal and he makes the roster, I can easily see him being the guy.

I liked what I saw from TA in what little he played in the playoffs. Doc the other day mentioned something about he thinking that TA had turned a corner during practices during the playoffs. That, to me, gives me more certainty on the improvement of playing quality I was seeing from TA during his short minutes during the playoffs. Hopefully he can build on that this season.

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 09:23:42 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
IMO, in most basic terms 6th man is eddie house OR Glen Davis and both can play 2 posistions.  Eddie we know what he will bring and hopefully doc uses him correctly for the entire season.  Davis could impress this year.  I feel our bench which got slammed by the media early on last year has some proven bright spots.  At times; davis, powe, house were great last year.  I think the impact player off the bench can be Tony, its his to loose, I'm not sure he can't think his way out of it though.  If he stays healthy for a whole year, keeps himself to cooz's 3 dribble drives and plays great d then  ;D.  If TA shows up making lots of mental mistakes, turnovers etc then he is on his way out of boston.  Miles is unknown.  I think watch obie, if he plays solid d he could be a steal!

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 02:51:49 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think Miles if he can stay healthy or TA. Powe is the dark horse candidate - Doc just doesn't seem to love the guy. I don't think Davis will be the guy. I don't think you can carry that kind of weight on his frame and stay healthy or play effectively for a whole season.

Pete

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 06:37:55 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I think Miles is going to be the 6th man, He has great length, and will disrupt some shots out there. He's averaged over a block a game in his 6 year career. I think he'll play effectively with one or two of the remaining big three Doc leaves out there as he slowly brings the reserves in one at a time like last year.

T.Allen
Miles
House
Powe
Davis

I think Tony is going to bounce back well from his injury, and maybe be the slasher and defender he was pre-injury. Remember when he was putting up 20 ppg and getting like 3-4 steals every game in Pierce's absence back in '06?!

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 07:04:50 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I think it has to be Tony Allen. He offers so much, other than size and a spot up shooter he brings what Pose brought. And if Posey's shots weren't falling, we may have been in trouble. With Tony, he can get to the line more, which is an added bonus. I hope he can show the same composure that Pose had though.

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 05:06:36 AM »

Offline cmburrill

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
  I believe the C's will not have a clear cut 6th man. The first man off the bench will be chosen due to each games need. Foul trouble, defensive/offensive  adjustments, and game flow will dictate which sub will be used. The Celtics have the luxury of losing only Posey, Pollard and PJ Brown from their roster. Posey and Pollard from opening day and PJ from after the break. I mention this because the Celtics chemistry and composition at the same time was in doubt. Posey excelled on our team, but  how many of you thought he would be more then just depth? I believe that Walker , House, Allen, Powe, Miles and POB could all be our 6th man. None of the these guys are stars, just like Posey was not a star. Our Celtic team is better then last year and depth is no longer an issue.

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 05:57:50 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I'm not sure why TA gets the nod from so many people here.

Pose became our 6th man last year because of his ability to not only defend the perimeter, but also body up some bigger guys. I dont think TA comes in and does that job for us(inside). He can defend the perimeter well, but in transition he is terrible at running lanes, and too poor an outside shooter.

IMO, Powe first off the bench should occur most often.  Out of our regular starting 5, Perk would probably tire the quickest.  This means KG can shift to the 5 spot, Powe filling the 4, with PP, RA and RR the 3,2,1.

I also prefer Powe playing with KG as it will help limit his ineffectiveness defensively - something which i do expect Powe to improve on.  He also has a terrific nose for the offensive boards, something which is very handy when paired up with KG.

Powe did provide a much needed spark as that 7th or 8th player off the bench last year, but i'm guessin Sam I Am will fill that role (offensively) for us this year.

As for those suggesting Darius Miles? He hasnt played for so long, hasnt a guaranteed contract....all of the sudden he's our 6th man??

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I really think Walker has a chance to claim that spot before the year is over - he is the only player on our roster beside Pierce that can play the 2-3-4.

Hopefully TA and Davis really pump up thier value at the beginning of the season, while Walker slowly earns more minutes. By mid-season TA, Davis and Scal (contract) could be traded for a backup center like Battie or Elson. Maybe a talent downgrade, but certainly insurance at a weak position.

Doc can manage personalities - he had some strong ones last season - but my faith in him as a strategist and tactician is shaky. I would much rather go into the post season with a tight 8-9 man rotation than a loose 12 man rotation.

Rondo - House
Allen - Walker
Pierce - Walker
Garnet - Powe
Perkins - TBA

IF Walker proves good enough to earn those minutes, and with a little Cassel, Giddens and Miles mixed in, we might end up with a better team than last season.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 08:32:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Two guys jump out at me as possible 6th man.

1) Powe.  Perkins plays the least amount of minutes of the starters.  It means the someone that can play PF will be getting a lot of minutes off the bench.

2)  Sort of a long shot, outside the box thinking.  Cassell.  They are talking about him playing SG next to Rondo and House.  If he plays closer to how he played with the Clippers last year then the Celtics (having a full training camp to carve out a set role can help with that) he could be the experienced player off the bench that can score. 

The third option to me would be someone that is not on this team yet.

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 08:54:47 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think that's expecting too much of Walker too soon.  TA's my guess for 6th man this year, with Powe as the dark horse.