Author Topic: 6th Man?  (Read 6696 times)

6th Man?
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I am surprised noone has talked about this (or maybe they have and I just missed it) but it seems like a pretty big deal.  Last year going into the season it was pretty obvious who our first man off the bench was--Posey.  But now we really don't have one. 

Darius Miles is probably the most proven player on our bench (who is still relatively close to their prime) although he hasn't played in 2 years and who knows if he will even make the team? 

The leader right now has to be Eddie House because of what he did for us last season.  He was a good 7th man for most of the season.  But Doc's lack of confidence in him towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs leads me to believe that he wont be counted on to be our first guy off the bench.

I am hoping that it will be Tony Allen.  He is a proven defender who can play multiple positions.  If he can learn how to play within himself on offense he can be a pretty good scorer as well.  He just needs to prove that he can maintain his confidence through a full season rather than a group of games.

Leon Powe is also interesting although I think he brings a lot as a 7th or 8th man off the bench with his rebounding and energy.  He is not good enough on D and he cannot be counted on to create his own offense enough to be our first guy off the bench.

Maybe we won't have a true 6th man and Doc will just decide based on matchups.  Who do you guys think it will be?
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

Re: 6th Man?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I am surprised noone has talked about this (or maybe they have and I just missed it) but it seems like a pretty big deal.  Last year going into the season it was pretty obvious who our first man off the bench was--Posey.  But now we really don't have one. 

Darius Miles is probably the most proven player on our bench (who is still relatively close to their prime) although he hasn't played in 2 years and who knows if he will even make the team? 

The leader right now has to be Eddie House because of what he did for us last season.  He was a good 7th man for most of the season.  But Doc's lack of confidence in him towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs leads me to believe that he wont be counted on to be our first guy off the bench.

I am hoping that it will be Tony Allen.  He is a proven defender who can play multiple positions.  If he can learn how to play within himself on offense he can be a pretty good scorer as well.  He just needs to prove that he can maintain his confidence through a full season rather than a group of games.

Leon Powe is also interesting although I think he brings a lot as a 7th or 8th man off the bench with his rebounding and energy.  He is not good enough on D and he cannot be counted on to create his own offense enough to be our first guy off the bench.

Maybe we won't have a true 6th man and Doc will just decide based on matchups.  Who do you guys think it will be?

I dont think it's true at all that going into last year, posey was our clear 6th man.

People like to do revisionist history with posey. He wasen't a saught after guy last year. There's a reason he was avalable for short money at the end of FA period, and it was because his work ethic and conditing had been questioned post miami.

in fact, when he signed i think most posters, not all, some were early adopters, but MOST posters saw posey as a nice vetran, but assumed Eddie house, the much more proven scorer at the time, would be the 6th man behind rondo, who was thought of as a huge question mark.

Now, obviously, posey was our 6th man and a huge part of everythign we did, but my point of the above reality check is, you never know. Powe may take a step forward and become a monster, mabey Eddie lights it up, mabey sam regrsses back to 2003-04 form and kills it shooting. all those seem unlikely, but so did posey turning back into the driven bench beast he was in 04'

The point is, if you had told me that the guy accoused of being a pudgy party animal who was content with one championship would suddenly go back to being the lights out defender and sniper he was 2 years ago in miami, i would have said you were crazy.

but, thats what happened, and i think we'll find out who our 6th man is as we settle in to our new roles.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:19:31 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Last year the Celtics didn't have a clear cut 6th man going into opening day. Last september our bench was just filler when our starters needed rest.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
POB might get alot of playing time.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
It's hard to make bets on bench players as our team hasn't been finalized yet (16 players now) and no guarantee of who gets cut first. Keeping Darius Miles to me just makes sense, has I think he's a better SF than lets say Pruitt is a PG. Assuming that Ainge cuts or trades Pruitt, then our team would be...

Rondo,Cassell,House
Ray,Tony,Giddens
Pierce,Miles,Scalabrine
KG,Powe,BWalker
Perk,Pat0,BBD

So in there outside of our starting 5, the next guy on the court will naturally be a big, since they can't take on as many minutes and tend to get into foul trouble earlier. As for the offense being ran, I see Sam taking on that role and House being strictly a shooter. The sad part to me is that I expect to see Tony Allen taking on minutes at SF even with Miles, for games where teams go small and the big 3 are resting. There we'd see something like Sam,House,Tony,Miles,Powe. Sam will do better this year with team chemistry/experience will aid his game.
As for the rookies, I can't fairly judge them and there roles, but I'd expect to see them get more minutes than Scalabrine either way.
My bet is that Ainge will package Pruitt/Scalabrine in a trade for any 6'11/7 footer he can find.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Tony Allen is my pick for the 6th man role

Then there's two capable 7th men in House and Powe.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

As of right now, those 3 guys will definitely get the top minutes off the bench. I also think TA is the assumed 6th man.

I'd like to see Davis beat out Powe though. This year he has to bring it. And then if we can squeeze anything meaningful out of POB and Miles, that would be gravy.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Rondo,Cassell,House
Ray,Tony,Giddens
Pierce,Miles,Scalabrine
KG,Powe,BWalker
Perk,Pat0,BBD

I'd switch Walker and Scals. Scals's defense at the four makes him a solid third option and I think Walker's explosiveness is better utilized at the three.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

As of right now, those 3 guys will definitely get the top minutes off the bench. I also think TA is the assumed 6th man.

I'd like to see Davis beat out Powe though. This year he has to bring it. And then if we can squeeze anything meaningful out of POB and Miles, that would be gravy.

if he's going to be our 6th man, he better take his game up about two level. I hope and think he can, but the pessimist in my is going to need to see it first.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 07:15:59 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Isn't it good to have 3 legit 6th man candidates, all who play multiple positions?

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 07:18:32 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

I dont think it's true at all that going into last year, posey was our clear 6th man.

People like to do revisionist history with posey. He wasen't a saught after guy last year. There's a reason he was avalable for short money at the end of FA period, and it was because his work ethic and conditing had been questioned post miami.

in fact, when he signed i think most posters, not all, some were early adopters, but MOST posters saw posey as a nice vetran, but assumed Eddie house, the much more proven scorer at the time, would be the 6th man behind rondo, who was thought of as a huge question mark.

Now, obviously, posey was our 6th man and a huge part of everythign we did, but my point of the above reality check is, you never know. Powe may take a step forward and become a monster, mabey Eddie lights it up, mabey sam regrsses back to 2003-04 form and kills it shooting. all those seem unlikely, but so did posey turning back into the driven bench beast he was in 04'

The point is, if you had told me that the guy accoused of being a pudgy party animal who was content with one championship would suddenly go back to being the lights out defender and sniper he was 2 years ago in miami, i would have said you were crazy.

but, thats what happened, and i think we'll find out who our 6th man is as we settle in to our new roles.
hahaha.   I am actualy learning about hindsigiht bias right now in my intro to psychology class.  But I am pretty sure I remember being a lot more confident in our 6th man last season.  After Posey the rest of the bench was a question mark for me.  I didnt know much about House and TA's injury questions.  Then players like Powe and Big Baby stepped up.  

It's pretty much the opposite of this year
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Isn't it good to have 3 legit 6th man candidates, all who play multiple positions?

Sure, but it would be even better if a single one of them had the experience, and a successful one, of playing that role.

Answering the OP the spot is Tony Allen's to lose.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 07:22:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think it is a tough call between Darius Miles and Tony Allen, both coming off injuries both with a lot of potential. IMO people are underrating our bench, we have at least one good player as a back up at every position (if you play Powe and BBD at the 4 and 5).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

hahaha.   I am actualy learning about hindsigiht bias right now in my intro to psychology class.  But I am pretty sure I remember being a lot more confident in our 6th man last season.  After Posey the rest of the bench was a question mark for me.  I didnt know much about House and TA's injury questions.  Then players like Powe and Big Baby stepped up.   

It's pretty much the opposite of this year

ma bey you were one of the posters, and they were around, who said that posey would be great for us from the get go. but when we signed a SF/PF who had been questioned from a deter rating play style and drive to win standpoint, let me assure you, alot of people were not thrilled.

I repeat, perceived great bench players do not fall to the last week of FA for short money.

Now, obviously we got a huge player in james posey, but my point was, you never know. we didn't know then, we don't know now.

For instance, i question that TA can play enough high level basketball to keep himself on the court as a 6th or 7th man. I may be dead wrong, we shall see.

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102

I agree w/ you, TA will be the 6th man!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15