Author Topic: Bring Back the Sonics! / Put the Thunder in the D-League  (Read 7106 times)

Re: Bring Back the Sonics! / Put the Thunder in the D-League
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:03 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I agree it is a simple uniform.  I don't understand though, how it is a copy of the Warriors.  Yes, the color scheme is similar.  Yes there is piping down the side.  Yes, they have the name of the team on the jerseys.  Yes they have numbers on them.  Look at all the other teams.  I would guess 90% of the jerseys look very similar.  I don't see the big deal.

Why would we get outraged when the product is simple?  Isn't the best looking jersey (C's) the most simple?

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »

Offline Locomotive Breath

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Those uni's do look bad, more like a High School uni's then a NBA team but at least they are not as bad a the old Atlanta Hawks uni's for the early 70's.

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I agree it is a simple uniform.  I don't understand though, how it is a copy of the Warriors.  Yes, the color scheme is similar.  Yes there is piping down the side.  Yes, they have the name of the team on the jerseys.  Yes they have numbers on them.  Look at all the other teams.  I would guess 90% of the jerseys look very similar.  I don't see the big deal.

Why would we get outraged when the product is simple?  Isn't the best looking jersey (C's) the most simple?

if they have history behind them, sure. by your logic every team should just copy the C's uni and change the colors, why try to create your own image when you can steal someone else's established one?

also, look at your statement. the pipings the same, the font's the same, the spacing on the name is the same,  the trims the same....what else is there to a uniform? you just said what i said, that its the GSW uniform with a color swap.

Its a place holder uni, which will be around for a year, two at most, that they had to design quickly because up until 3 months ago they didn't know if they would be clear to move the team.

which is fine, but lets not say they have "great old school uniforms" they have horrendous "uh oh we have to play in 3 months, make something bland so no one remebers them later" uniforms.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 05:46:32 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
My point was lost.  I agree that they look like the Warriors (not the font though).  But my point was that the uniforms are just as similar as 15 other teams as they are to the Warriors. 

As far as being original:  There is not much you can do to a uniform as far as design to make them look different.  Look what they did with the away jersey.  They look different with OKLAHOMA CITY spelled out.  I think that is ugly.  By going conservative they won't be offensive to many's taste.

I love the blue though.

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

The logo and the jerseys are just fine. Nowadays people want everything to be impactful, feisty, glamorous or sophisticated. No need for that.  There's room to simplicity and cleanness. I like the classy elegance of their jerseys. The logo belongs to a 1st year team, and like many others it will slowly - with slowly being the underlined word - change over the years to reflect more properly the spirit of the franchise and its supporters. No need to hurry, lots of time ahead of them. The jerseys or the logo won't intimidate or awe anyone, but fortunately the good ol'Okies understand that simplicity is the truest expression of beauty. And it never gets old or tiring.

but thier not "classy elegance" there the GSW jerseys, in diffrent colors. If they had done anything but a color swap of an existing jersey set, i could get behined them. but as people at uniwatch are explaning, they are litteraly a copy of the GSW uni's with blander colors.

If they had ripped off our uni's, which i consider the most classey and elegant in the league, and just done a color swap, would you be giving them credit then?

thier jersey's reflect thier lack of time to plan after choosing a logo (badley and rushed) and a color scheme (also badley and rushed, it doesn't even really match the logo)

mark my words, next year, or at the most the year after they get a drastic new logo and uniform. those are just bland place holders, to be replaced after they hire some uni designers and give them a year or two to work on some better threads.

Is the problem being unoriginal or horrid? Because if it's the first, there are dozens of similar jerseys in the NBA. And this is an area where the old aphorism "good in parts, and original in parts; unfortunately the good parts were not original, and the original parts were not good" bares some true. Isn't Bucks' new alternative jersey basically ours but in red?  I don't have much of a problem with that. Also, I don't think they have lacked the time (a thesis that would destroy the theory of Bennett having the whole move planned from the beginning): Adidas has an army of designers who can provide dozens of alternatives in a few days. But I think concepts like "different", "new", "original", "creativity", etc. are over rated. You use blandness in a pejorative sense, but they are timeless - unlike most of the uniforms in today's NBA, that become unbearable after a couple of years because so many things are going on on them. I mean, they could have easily designed an uniform or a log displaying a thunder. Or use some sophisticated colour scheme. I, for one, am glad they didn't. 

I see things as they not wanting to build an identity artificially, or having their identity built by some sushi-eating clothing designer. They'll have one and their simbology will eventually reflect it. Plenty of time to do that. Good approach, in my opinion. At least they didn't pick a name or a logo because a Spielberg's movie about dinosaurs became a blockbuster.

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

if they have history behind them, sure.

So they can't have a simple uniform because they don't have a history yet?

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 07:01:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

if they have history behind them, sure.

So they can't have a simple uniform because they don't have a history yet?

they can do whatever they want, but to say "wow, those look great, i've always wanted to see GS's uni's in baby blue!!! how old school!" to me is ludicrous.

that's not a knock on the team or the fans, as i said, i like their fan base, but lets not paint a picture that doesn't exist. the only reason they look like "generic blue uni #6546543" is because they had 3 months or so of actual time to get the designs in once they got away from Seattle free and clear. most uniforms are designed years in advance of release.

There crappy place holder uniforms, hopefully to be replaced by better soon. Its my opinion and im entitled to it that said uniforms looks horrible and like they belong in a high school gymnasium . If you think they look great, thats your opinion, and your entitled to it, and a bunch of people may agree. It wouldn't be the first time im out of touch on uniform fashion, and im sure it won't be the last.

After all, i seem to be the only new england sports fan that hates the new jerseys for the pats and loved the old red and white ones  :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:06:30 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
OK, let's agree to disagree. And agree that GSW' jerseys also belong in a high school gymn, since they are so similar. And many others among the league.

After all, i seem to be the only new england sports fan that hates the new jerseys for the pats and loved the old red and white ones  Cheesy

Yeps, I generally prefer blue to red by far, but I'm with you here.

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 07:56:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
OK, let's agree to disagree. And agree that GSW' jerseys also belong in a high school gymn, since they are so similar. And many others among the league.

After all, i seem to be the only new england sports fan that hates the new jerseys for the pats and loved the old red and white ones  Cheesy

Yeps, I generally prefer blue to red by far, but I'm with you here.

Sorry to go off topic here,

Next season is the Patriots 50th Season and there is talk that they'll bring back Pat the Patriot and the ol' red unis for a couple of games ala  Buffalo & San Diego.

I love the old school unis but actually don't mind the current ones, either.  The ones I don't like are the old Bledsoe/Curtis Martin unis.  Ugghh...

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team