Author Topic: Bring Back the Sonics! / Put the Thunder in the D-League  (Read 7090 times)

Bring Back the Sonics! / Put the Thunder in the D-League
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:03:01 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I realise there's an earlier thread about the Thunder's uniform started by CM:

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=22697.0

But I want to say how terrible this new franchise is. From its name to colour scheme, to uniform and even players (except Durant), from top to bottom they deserve to play in the D-League not NBA!

P.S. their uniform can also be seen on
http://www.nba.com/thunder/

Bring Back the Sonics!!!
Anything is possible!!!

Re: Bring Back the Sonics! / Put the Thunder in the D-League
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:04:20 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I realise there's an earlier thread about the Thunder's uniform started by CM:

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=22697.0

But I want to say how terrible this new franchise is. From its name to colour scheme, to uniform and even players (except Durant), from top to bottom they deserve to play in the D-League not NBA!

P.S. their uniform can also be seen on
http://www.nba.com/thunder/

Bring Back the Sonics!!!

thats easily one of the most bland and awful uni's ive seen in along time. It doesnt even make sense, why name yourself the "thunder" if your going to have blue as your main color?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Geez.. get over it. They're here to stay, they sold out the season tickets in 5 days, the fans are great and they have an up'n'coming team to root for. I also like their jerseys.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:07:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Geez.. get over it. They're here to stay, they sold out the season tickets in 5 days, the fans are great and they have an up'n'coming team to root for. I also like their jerseys.

agree on everything but the jerseys, those are horrid.

"the thunder: where bland blue and white uni's happen"

they should have gone black and red and been the outlaws, that color scheme would have ruled.

this is a bad pic, but the only good thing the XFL ever produced was this uni color scheme and logo

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 11:15:38 PM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39

agree on everything but the jerseys, those are horrid.

"the thunder: where bland blue and white uni's happen"

they should have gone black and red and been the outlaws, that color scheme would have ruled.

this is a bad pic, but the only good thing the XFL ever produced was this uni color scheme and logo

That would be ill Crownsy. TP.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:17:58 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but I just can't get over their name, jersey and colour scheme combo, if some casual basketball fans see it, they might think it's a D-League team, I guess that's what I'm getting at.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don't mind the Oklahoma City affiliation.  As cordobes mentioned before, they have passionate fans who are thrilled to have a franchise.  There seems to be genuine excitement there and they took in the Hornets with open arms a few years back.

That being said, their logo is bland and I can't say I'm a fan of their unis, either.  The baby blue just isn't unique and we've seen it done already. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:36:42 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

You do wonder, don't you, when the whining over a city that wouldn't support its franchise is going to stop?

Not crazy about the uniforms myself, but it's great to have the NBA nearby - and the Celtics. Seattle piddled away the franchise, and the city got exactly what it deserved.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:21:52 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Don't judge the fan base after selling out one season, especially the first season, I expect if they struggle the fad will wear down and they attendance will drop.

Also those uniforms are pretty craptastic.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:25:30 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

You do wonder, don't you, when the whining over a city that wouldn't support its franchise is going to stop?

A city that wouldn't support it's franchise?  The team has always been in the top half of the league in percentage of arena filled.  They did not move because the city would not support them.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Why did they move then ?
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why did they move then ?

It wasn't because of lack of support.  It was due to the fact that, in the owner's eyes, the current arena was insufficient and the organization was unable to come to a deal with the city of Seattle on the funding and construction of a new arena.  Luxury boxes = additional revenue.

(Some will tell you that that the owner purposely sanEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ged the city of Seattle with the intention of moving)

Either way, it wasn't because of a lack of support from the fans of Seattle.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
They moved because the arena was inappropriate and the tax payers of Seattle refused (and rightly so) to fund a new one. As the SuperSonics fans didn't volunteer to pay for a new one using their own money, as they should, the owner requested a relocation.

-----------

As many others, I strongly dislike the name. Rather something more risky, assertive and representative, like Barons, Outlaws or Marshals. However, I also understand the advantages of a more neutral and politically correct name and the downside of my favourite pick (Barons).

The logo and the jerseys are just fine. Nowadays people want everything to be impactful, feisty, glamorous or sophisticated. No need for that.  There's room to simplicity and cleanness. I like the classy elegance of their jerseys. The logo belongs to a 1st year team, and like many others it will slowly - with slowly being the underlined word - change over the years to reflect more properly the spirit of the franchise and its supporters. No need to hurry, lots of time ahead of them. The jerseys or the logo won't intimidate or awe anyone, but fortunately the good ol'Okies understand that simplicity is the truest expression of beauty. And it never gets old or tiring.

-----

And the WNBA rocks. Have you been missing the playoffs? The Los Angeles @ San Antonio series was great. Emotion, good basketball, heroic individuals and the goods won in the end. Looking forward for the finals.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

The logo and the jerseys are just fine. Nowadays people want everything to be impactful, feisty, glamorous or sophisticated. No need for that.  There's room to simplicity and cleanness. I like the classy elegance of their jerseys. The logo belongs to a 1st year team, and like many others it will slowly - with slowly being the underlined word - change over the years to reflect more properly the spirit of the franchise and its supporters. No need to hurry, lots of time ahead of them. The jerseys or the logo won't intimidate or awe anyone, but fortunately the good ol'Okies understand that simplicity is the truest expression of beauty. And it never gets old or tiring.

but thier not "classy elegance" there the GSW jerseys, in diffrent colors. If they had done anything but a color swap of an existing jersey set, i could get behined them. but as people at uniwatch are explaning, they are litteraly a copy of the GSW uni's with blander colors.

If they had ripped off our uni's, which i consider the most classey and elegant in the league, and just done a color swap, would you be giving them credit then?

thier jersey's reflect thier lack of time to plan after choosing a logo (badley and rushed) and a color scheme (also badley and rushed, it doesn't even really match the logo)

mark my words, next year, or at the most the year after they get a drastic new logo and uniform. those are just bland place holders, to be replaced after they hire some uni designers and give them a year or two to work on some better threads.

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Their logo looks like something that could've been put together by an high school graphic design student.  Just looks generic to me.  Not to mention, it reminds me a bit of the Pistons mid-90s logo that I found to be lacking any real substance.  It just seem manufactured with no real artistic creativity.

I just don't see any classy elegance there.