Author Topic: Preseason Game 1 Celtics vs Sixers 10/8  (Read 49514 times)

Re: Preseason Game 1 Celtics vs Sixers 10/8
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01:32 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Scalabrine looks to be a bad NBA player right now. I think he is gotten even more out of shape. I absolutely take a shot with Miles at this point over Scalabrine. If that's what it comes down too.

Miles didn't do that much postive but at least he plays in control out there. Scalabrine reminds me of Dwight - the guy on the Office..

Anyone still think TA/Miles/Walker can't replace Posey? Come on admit it - TA is pretty good.

Pete

None of them have the outside shot Posey has but they can replace his defensive efforts I think. 

« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
More than Posey's outside shot I'll miss his heady play. (I'd be happy to see the Celtics attacking the rim more often in '08-'09.) If rookie Bill Walker is the best decision maker of the platoon at SF that will spell trouble for the Celtics.

« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2008, 01:33:38 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think Posey would've helped us much last night. He sucked in his first preseason game.

I know, I know... but I'm just saying...

« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2008, 03:02:43 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Patrick O'bryant looked great. 3 blocked shots, 4-6 from the field. He needs to add some muscle but seems to be more coordinated offensively then Perk.

Darius Miles looked good. He did exactly what you want froma a  bench player. Went 3-3 from the field, 0 turnovers. He did not look comfortable with the offense yet which is understandable, but looked decent defensively.

My order for player to be cut.
1. Scal- When he is on the court he hurts the team. When he started getting more minutes the team lost their lead and eventually the game.
2. Pruitt or Casell- We do not need 4 point guards.
3. Glen Davis- I See Powe as the better of the two.

Whats the deal with the D-League? If we send Pruitt or Giddens there are they still on our 15 man roster???

No chance BBD gets cut. Has too much value. No chance of cutting baby and keeping scal.

« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2008, 04:26:13 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Loved how PattyCakes blocked a shot right into Scal's face in the first half.

And then there's Bill Walker... Who I am in love with.

« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2008, 05:41:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Walker was awesome.

Giddens can cheerleader like no other but just didn't get enought PT to make an impression.

Miles wasn't the explosive, quick Miles I remembered and looked heavy if they expect him to play SF. He dragged in the second half.

Pruitt, for the limited time he was out there did everything I want my backup PG to do. I want to see more for a better evaluation.

Powe was Powe but didn't like the TOs. That's just summer slop as my old coach used to call it.

Baby pretty much the same thing as Powe. He is what he is. He didn't look smaller but I thought I saw more definition in his shoulders and arms and his moves around the basket appeared rather quick. Withhold judgement for further review.

KG, PP, RA, and Rondo all looked in mid-season form and if they had played 30 minutes each, this game would have been a blow out.

POB, first time I ever saw him play. He's long and seemed to establish good position for the rebound or block most of the time defensively. His hands worry me and his offensive footwork to establish offensive position and then make a move was atrocious. He played almost exclusively with the starters so I am sure he looked a lot better than he actually is because of that, but I am thoroughly encouraged by what I see. I think in time he could definitely fill in that Pollard/PJ Brown role.

Scal, if this team had any affiliation with the military, they'd be playing Taps in your honor. Eat the contract and cut the ties. The Scal era in Boston should be officially closed.

« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2008, 10:42:46 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
My impressions:

I was very impressed with Patrick O'Bryant, to start.  He played about as well as we could hope for with the starters.  Also, it seemed like he stayed involved in the game even with the second and third units on the floor.  That's a good sign; if Perk stays healthy for the year, then O'Bryant will need to learn to play with them. 

Bill Walker's dunks were excellent.  Other than that, Thaddeus abused him a couple of times on defense and he has a funky (though not necessarily bad) shot.  He certainly already shows signs of being an offensive force, but I think his defense needs to improve somewhat before he has a shot at a rotation spot.

Giddens actually looked good defensively in the limited minutes that he got.  Hopefully he gets more time on Friday night.

Gabe Pruitt's handle isn't as good as I'd hoped.  That said, he played very good defense against a red-hot Lou Williams in the fourth.  That alone will hopefully earn him a spot on the roster, because neither House nor Cassell can play much defense.  I'd like to see him showcase his 'sweet shot' more next game - the only shot I saw him take last night was pretty ugly.

Darius Miles played well.  In particular, he played well on the defensive end.  It's clear that his athleticism isn't what it used to be, though, and it didn't take much time on the court for him to start huffing and puffing. 

Eddie House was a tale of two halves.  In the first half, he looked great.  In the second half, he looked terrible.  Specifically, he couldn't pass to a green jersey to save his life.

Leon was Leon. 

I've heard that Baby is a good passer for a big man, but it certainly didn't show last night.  That, or he's learning from Eddie.  If that's the case, I'd advise him to stop. 

TA played very well.  If he's to be the sixth man, then I'd have no problem with that kind of effort every night. 

Scalabrine shouldn't be in the NBA if that's his game now. 

« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

5.) Walker deserves 10 minutes a night on this team, Giddens has a long way to go.

What exactly did you see that brought you to this conclusion? With the exception of a turnover, Giddens did great the short time he was out there. He did everything, but score what else can you ask for in 4 minutes?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:56:10 AM by ManUp »

« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

What exactly did you see that brought you to this conclusion? With the exception of a turnover, Giddens did great the short time he was out there. He did everything, but score what else can you ask for in 4 minutes?

yea, i'll agree with this. giddeons looked real good, for what he played. he playe dexcellent defense, including the pick and quick shovel pass to set up walker's monster jam.

EDIT: [dang] you open qoute tabs!!!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:31:23 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2008, 12:24:48 PM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
As regards JR Giddens and his 4 minute stunt...he certainly filled the stat sheet (unlike his preseason lack of hype), enough of a performance to EARN praise from coach Tom Thibodeau and Tom didn't hand out many accolades last night.  Tom especially complimented JR's defensive effort.

« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
watching last nite circus when the 2nd unit came on, makes me feel that i will miss posey that much more. He definitely stabalized our second unit. No doubt we have decent vets  but none i can confidently say play stable, mistake free as possible basketball. Plus that leadership was huge

To asses some of the players from yesterdays game

1. Obryant - He reminds me of a poor mans tim duncan. Well maybe poor x2. He really knows how to score quick and has quick hands. Never seen a center in a while who launches a shot up and runs back to the defensive end in one instance cuz he is that certain it will go in. Maybe its a little cockinezz but i liked seeing that. Some things he needs to improve is his conditioning still and second needs become more fundamental in his play. In defense he got some good blocks but he was usually trying to chase shots away instead of just raising his two long arms up before the shot.

2. Bill walker = fun. He is athletic, explosive dunks but unlike gerald green looks like he can play some good hard nose ball. If he stays healthy this year, he will a big steal for danny

3. JR Giddens = I have a feeling that he might take Al jefferson long to know how good he can be in the nba. Seems like a nice kid and always smiling. Good to see, but i like to see him serious up a bit. He should also understand he was drafted in the first round not bill walker , and needs to play at least on the same level if not better as walker. One skills i hope he shores up is his shooting (shooting form not stable, and release is slow)

4. Darius Miles = looks good. looks grown up. has the offense that will be a good addition

5. Gabe pruitt = riding the bench again this year. He barely developed physically which is disappointing because thats his biggest obstacle right now. There is not much point of having three pg and i see riding the bench alot or being traded

6. powe and big baby = i liked what i saw from both guys. Baby looks the same but a little bit more fit. Which is kind of disappointing but at least an improvement nonetheless. I expect big things from powe

7. Scal = celtics mascot