Author Topic: Favorite non-Celtic Rookie  (Read 8609 times)

Favorite non-Celtic Rookie
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Which rookie are you most interested in watching this year?

I'm most excited to watch the progress of Donte Greene of Sacramento, who seems like a stronger, less polished and lazier version of Kevin Durant. He almost fell to 30 in the draft too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8g2IPe8nSo

A close second for me is Marreese Speights of the 76ers, the smooth shooting young center out of Florida.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGOfFDPp00E&feature=related

Re: Favorite non-Celtic Rookie
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nice topic question.

I'd have to say that I'm interested in the following guys:

Danilo Gallinari:  Interesting to see how he fits in with the dysfunctional Knicks.  This kid showed some promise overseas and I'd like to see just how much PT he gets this season and how his game will translate.  He's also extremely young so I want how far his game has come along at such an age.

Derrick Rose:  I'm just a sucker for quality point guards.  I think this kid has the potential to be the next great one in the league.  Can't wait for the CP3 and Deron matchups with him.

Courtney Lee:  Loved his game in college.  The kid can flat out shoot.  He from one of the smaller, lesser known conferences.  See how his game translates from such a step up in competition.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I'm a huge, huge fan of O.J. Mayo. To be honest with you, I didn't like him much heading into last season. I had heard and read too many negative things about him. He seemed to be a punk ass kid that cared about nothing but himself. But he won me over in his freshman year at USC. He remained poised at all times, was constantly praised for his work ethic and coachability, and to my surprise, he established himself as a big time defender. You never heard about Mayo's defense before he went to college. You heard about his jump shot, athleticism, potential, and swagger. But he absolutely won me over last year, to the point where he is now one of my favorite basketball players out there.

I also have to give mention to my guy Roy Hibbert. Go Hoyas.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
JR Giddens and Bill Walker for me.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 04:51:48 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
OJ Mayo- I think he could end up being the best player from this class.
Eric Gordon- Little undersized, huge potential
Joe Alexander- This is the guy i wanted on Celtics. Can shoot and jump. could be an athletic version of Mike Miller

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »

Offline dmorrison22

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'm excited to see OJ Mayo for sure. But I think the best rookie to watch this season, if he gets PT is Bayless in Portland. I watched him in college at Arizona and he can get it done, and he has a crazy drive to win. I think Portland will def make noise in the playoffs. But for the celts I am 100% positive they make it back to the finals. There is a really cool article series on bleacherreport.com previewing every team in the League and of course all the rookies. Check out the preview for the Celts tho, its a good one.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/61586-golden-state-warriors-youth-to-be-tested-early

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Even though I remain unsigned after another year undrafted, i feel like i have huge potential to become a superstar in this league  ;D

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Kevin Love.  What can I say, I am a sucker for nice outlet passes.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 06:26:51 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I also have to give mention to my guy Roy Hibbert. Go Hoyas.

yeah, Roy Hibbert was my pick. The next big from Georgetown. Plus he's on a sorry team so maybe he'll have time to shine specially with Jermaine O'Neal gone.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 06:28:29 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
WAIT!! Can I take that back? Instead of Roy Hibbert, I pick Greg Oden. Completely forgot this is his official Rookie season.
It's going to be fun to see how he pans out, especially after knee surgery. Maybe he'll be that next piece to get Portland back in the playoffs.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:43:21 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't watch College B Ball, but after visting DraftExpress, and Nbadraft.net I know all i need to know, and feel comfortable calling myself an expert on the 2008 NBA draft.  :P

O.J. Mayo a.k.a the best thing that almost happened to A.J. in Minny. McHale messed up once again. A fundamentally sound basketball player who just happens to be an elite athlete, you don't pass on that. From what I read he sounds like a more athletic Brandon Roy.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Rudy Fernandez. Still don't know why the C's didn't just buy back the pick they traded to the Suns. Suns sold it to Portland for no more than 3 mil.

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Kevin Love - he can do awesome things in a basketball court; the kind of stuff that I, as a basketball fan, really find enjoyable to watch because they are so rare to find. Also intriguing because he's the kind of prospect who is very difficult to read. I believe solid cases can be made for him to be a very good player or just an average one. (For the record, I'm predicting he's going to be a very good player who will deliver lots of wins to his team).

Brandon Rush - because I love elite wing defenders who can shoot the rock and play clever, safe basketball on the other side. Rush is the better prospect in this regard and I'm particularly curious to see how his defensive skills will impact the overall quality of Pacers' defense in his 1st season (for the record, I think he already is the best perimeter defender in his team).

Courtney Lee - for basically the same reasons stated above.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
10 players I want to see what they can do.

1) Rose-Love PGs and this guy is really explosive.
2) Love-Very unique player.  Curious how well he will do in the NBA.
3) Gallinari-Not many wing international players get drafted this high.   
4) Joe Alexander-My boss who played at West Virginia many moons ago won't stop talking about this guy.
5) D.J.Augustin-Barely 6-0 and want to see how well he will make it in the league.
6) Bayless-Really impressed me in the summer league.
7) Randolph-Has a little Lamar Odom in him.
8) J.J. Hickson-Cleveland thinks he can really help this year.   We'll see.
9) Donte Greene-He may surprise a ton of people.
10) Goran Dragic-The Suns seem to like him alot. 

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
kings fan here, so Jason Thompson and Donte Greene .. Greene reminds me of GG so thats a little scary.

Bobby Brown is intersting too ..