Author Topic: Remember Jonathan Bender?  (Read 2745 times)

Remember Jonathan Bender?
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Well those arthritic knees aren't keeping him from all of his goals after all...

He could have squandered his remaining millions or succumbed to depression over being labeled a "has-been" before his 25th birthday. But this player was also an entrepreneur who'd watched the business-savvy NBA team owners, thinking 'I can be like them.'

So in New Orleans, with the Gulf Coast still struggling two years after Hurricane Katrina, he established the nonprofit Jonathan Bender Foundation and the for-profit Jonathan Bender Enterprises. With both, Bender's idealism has manifested itself through initiatives like adopting elementary schools, building real estate ventures and offering free finance classes for some of New Orleans' poorest residents.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=JonathanBender-080923&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1

He's only 25 years old and a couple years removed from getting word that he'll never play in the NBA again...if i was "the next jordan" and had my career ended that quickly, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have the mental fortitude that this kid has shown to overcome self-pity and make the world a better place.  Looks like he's destined for great things after all.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: Remember Jonathan Bender?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Good stuff. 

Still doesn't excuse him for the cash I laid out on a couple of graded rookie cards of his!  I actually just found them a few weeks ago and had a chuckle.  They went back in the keeper box for sentimental value (since they have no value other than that)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
That's really fantastic on Bender's part.  Thanks and TP for posting some feel-good stuff right there, jgod.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Still doesn't excuse him for the cash I laid out on a couple of graded rookie cards of his! 

sounds like me with derrick coleman

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »

Offline woodrow_wilson

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I remember calling WEEI back in the day with some trade proposal centered around the Celtics ending up with him.  Might have had us giving up Walker but it was too long ago.  Too bad I dont remember that would be pretty funny. 

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:00:27 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I thought he was still locked up in detention in the breakfast club! ha!  hee!  ho! sorry...
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
It's a very nice story, indeed. Well done, Bender.