Author Topic: Michael Beasley: In trouble already  (Read 15613 times)

Re: Michael Beasley: In trouble already
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Didn't he oblige himself to comply with the Rookie Camp rules?

If he was fined, wasn't it because he didn't comply with those? (I think so, otherwise why has Riley stated he was "disappointed with Michael"?)

So, if someone can't even go through a rookie seminar without breaking rules, doesn't this tell us that this individual seemingly has a problem when it comes to comply with rules he voluntarily agreed to?

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 05:09:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

He wants to be payed like a man, he is going to be judged that way. 

Fine, but how about waiting until he steps on the court before you judge him? That's not right. That's how he'll earn his paycheck.

I didn't judge him.

The organization that he works under did.  They treated him like an adult.  He broke one of their rules and they punished him according to the rules they had in place. 

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 05:24:25 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Well, I am going to get flamed for this -- but I think he should great character by not snitching his friends out.  The NBA, clearly peaved about this - dropped a huge fine on him.

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 05:27:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Well, I am going to get flamed for this -- but I think he should great character by not snitching his friends out.  The NBA, clearly peaved about this - dropped a huge fine on him.

No.  He showed that he has bad taste in who he hangs around with.  Guys that are going to get him in trouble. 

As for not 'snitching', give me a break.  He hurts himself and his team with this.  He isn't in school anymore.  This is an adult world now. 

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 05:29:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
On an off-topic,

"stop Snitching" and "Snitches get Stitches"; created by criminals to keep law abiding citizens from helping their community by getting the criminal off the street. 

Absolutely nothing there show good character.

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I surely doubt his involvement was simply not snitching his friends.

My guess would be that he opted for not snitching himself - "oh, I have just arrived here, I had no idea this was going on".

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

No.  He showed that he has bad taste in who he hangs around with.  Guys that are going to get him in trouble. 

As for not 'snitching', give me a break.  He hurts himself and his team with this.  He isn't in school anymore.  This is an adult world now. 

I don't really see how he hurts his team with this.  To me it was inevitable that he was going to get into some sort of trouble after the comments he made around the draft.  I think it was good that it happened this early so that his team doesn't get hurt by it and so that maybe he can learn from his mistakes.  It would be much worse if this happened mid-season and he had to miss some games because of it.  For all we know he could be thinking to himself right now how he needs to grow up and that he can't allow something like this to happen again.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
On an off-topic,

"stop Snitching" and "Snitches get Stitches"; created by criminals to keep law abiding citizens from helping their community by getting the criminal off the street. 

What is your opinion of that ref, Tim Donagouy?

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 07:42:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
On an off-topic,

What is your opinion of that ref, Tim Donagouy?

He is a criminal that got caught. 

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »

Offline Celtsfan33/34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
All this does is validate one of the few things Stern did right:  Have an age limit on incoming players.  Beasley is obviously not mentally ready to be a pro athlete yet.  Hopefully the NBA realizes this and can one day do what the NFL does, make it so their incoming players are at least 3 years removed from their year of graduation from high school.

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Hyperbole much? How does this hurt the Heat in any way, shape or form?

So, if someone can't even go through a rookie seminar without breaking rules, doesn't this tell us that this individual seemingly has a problem when it comes to comply with rules he voluntarily agreed to?

James Posey was charged with a DUI last offseason. That is probably much worse than what Beasley did (which I might repeat, we do not know). Where you talking about Posey's mental readiness because he couldn't comply with the laws of drinking and driving?

All this does is validate one of the few things Stern did right:  Have an age limit on incoming players.  Beasley is obviously not mentally ready to be a pro athlete yet.  Hopefully the NBA realizes this and can one day do what the NFL does, make it so their incoming players are at least 3 years removed from their year of graduation from high school.

Why stop there? Let's make it a requirement that you have to have your Ph.D to play. Beasley hasn't played a game in the NBA and you're judging his mental readiness by a fine for something that we don't know. Wow.

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Why not make it mandatory to play two years of College ball? Athletes can get some kind of degree in two years of college and then have something to fall back on if they fall out of the league. this will give College Teams a few years with all their young prodigies and it will eliminate the one and done. Imagine the last two draft classes all playing in the same league. That's what would happen if we changed it two a two year limit. College basketball would be booming! All athletes should be mature enough to handle the NBA after two years of college ball.

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 11:07:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Hyperbole much? How does this hurt the Heat in any way, shape or form?

That's just what the team needs.  It's star rookie getting in trouble with the league before his first training camp.  A rookie that the team was worried about already. 

Does it mean he is going to become Shawn Kemp?  Of course not. 

Is it a good start?  Definitely not. 

Did he make a mistake and do something stupid?  The NBA thinks so, and therefore, fined him. 

Anytime a player does something stupid like this, it hurts the team.  Depending on the player and the team, how much it hurts the team can be controlled.

Posey did hurt the Celtics by getting suspended for one game. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2999462

But the Celtics were good enough to win without him that night. 

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Why not make it mandatory to play two years of College ball? Athletes can get some kind of degree in two years of college and then have something to fall back on if they fall out of the league. this will give College Teams a few years with all their young prodigies and it will eliminate the one and done. Imagine the last two draft classes all playing in the same league. That's what would happen if we changed it two a two year limit. College basketball would be booming! All athletes should be mature enough to handle the NBA after two years of college ball.

I think once the NBDL is more developed it's less likely you will see this happen.   In baseball you can enter the draft right after high school and I could see the NBA possibly going back to that someday if their minor league system gets really established.   Plus we've seen this year a top high school recruit skip college altogether and decide to play overseas for a year to make some money then enter the NBA next year.   If we had a 2 year college rule I could see more and more top high school players doing this then you run the risk of  some talent just staying overseas period as we've seen this offseason it's becoming more appealing to some players. 

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2008, 12:31:50 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
On an off-topic,

"Don't rat your friends out" is as old as authority itself.

It just so happens that people say "stop snitching" now.