Author Topic: Michael Beasley: In trouble already  (Read 15672 times)

Michael Beasley: In trouble already
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
To refresh everyone's memory, rumor has it that Pat Riley and the Heat had some hesitation about drafting Michael Beasley at #2, despite him perhaps being the most talented and NBA-ready player in the draft, because of questions about his character and maturity.  Right before the draft, Beasley observed:

Quote from: Michael Beasley
"I just turned 19 in January. How mature do you want me to be? I'm still a kid. I'm not legal. I can vote, but that's about it. On the basketball side of things, I'm 30 years old. Off the court ... I'm going to live my life. I'm going to mess up."

Well, not surprisingly, Riley's concerns turned out to be founded, and Beasley proved to be prophetic about his own potential for messing up.  Today's news:

Miami Heat rookie Michael Beasley was fined $50,000 by the NBA on Thursday for his involvement in an incident at the Rookie Transition Program this month.

The NBA also said that Beasley failed to cooperate with the a league investigation of the matter also involving Miami's Mario Chalmers and Memphis' Darrell Arthur.

Arthur and Chalmers, former Kansas teammates, were fined $20,000 apiece last week after being banished from the rookie symposium.

Security at the resort near New York where the event took place found Arthur and Chalmers in a room with two women, and the scent of marijuana was detected. No drugs or drug paraphernalia were found, but having guests in the room violated NBA policy, and the two rookies were sent home. Arthur and Chalmers apologized but denied using marijuana.

Now, we have no idea what Beasley did.  However, based upon the fact that he was fined $50k, opposed to the $20k assessed to Arthur and Chalmers, you've got to think that his behavior was more egregious.

I've got a pretty strong suspicion that this kid is going to be an also ran in the NBA, never living up to his considerable talent.  He just seems to have little to no character or respect (based upon his track record, not just this one instance), and players like that rarely grow up.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Michael Beasley: In trouble already
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I honestly could see him becoming the next Ricky Davis or JR Smith rather then the next TMac.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Derrick Coleman Part 2

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Is the fine based on the size of their contracts?  Beasley makes much more money.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
what does the league do with all this money? a stern pocket?

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Roy why do you even care about a player's personal issues off the court anyways. Nobody is perfect so  expect people to make mistakes.

Anyways why have Celtics fans been so biased lately. I've never heard anyone on here criticize JR Giddens for being an ass in Kansas!

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:53:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Roy why do you even care about a player's personal issues off the court anyways.

Because players who get side-tracked off-the-court almost invariably get side-tracked on-the-court.  Even if those players put up good stats, the vast majority of the time they prove to be a distraction to their team, don't show any leadership skills, and fail to get the most out of their talent.

There are exceptions, but those are few and far between.  Generally speaking, "punk off the court" = "punk in the locker room" = "waste of talent on the court".  Today's generation of players, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to be able to separate the two spheres.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
what does the league do with all this money? a stern pocket?

Any time a player is fined for any reason, the proceeds of the fine are split evenly between the NBA and the Player's Association.  Each then donates that money to the charity of their choosing. 

Link.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Out here in Big 12 land, no one is surprised: About Beasley, Chalmers or Arthur.

Some of us are funny about character. Strong character wins. See KG. Weak character doesn't. See Kobe.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Out here in Big 12 land, no one is surprised: About Beasley, Chalmers or Arthur.

Some of us are funny about character. Strong character wins. See KG. Weak character doesn't. See Kobe.

OK, Kobe bugs the crap out of me and I don't like him, but how can we categorize him as not being a winner?  Because he lost in the Finals to the Celtics?
Yup

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

OK, Kobe bugs the crap out of me and I don't like him, but how can we categorize him as not being a winner?  Because he lost in the Finals to the Celtics?

yea, that doesn't make any sense, good call redz.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 01:08:10 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Heheheh.  Still three months after and I love it.  TP for you!  Kobe you're a loser!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 01:11:11 AM »

Offline LD42

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
I hate Beasley as much as the next guy, but i dont get it he got fined for not snitching. That's it!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 01:12:25 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yep.  Sorry, but this is just how I view it. 

To get the thread back on track, it is sad about Beasley.  Frankly, 19 might still be too young for some of these guys, and maybe the age limit needs to be raised.  Or maybe there should be a required 1 year stint in an NBA development league.  On the other hand, harsh penalties (maybe even harsher than current) might be a good way to shape future generations of ball players.  It is always a shame to see people with so much talent just not get it....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 03:07:08 AM »

Offline celticsmaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
the dude is freaking 19.

but yeah. yall are right. it's too late for him to grow out of his pattern of behavior. it's not like people just get more mature as the progress into their 20's and turn into adults. anyone who's gonna be a decent, hard-working professional is already one by the time they're 13.