Author Topic: Marbury expected to be released.  (Read 25492 times)

Re: Marbury expected to be released.
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
But I will say that I think in general, Doc does a great job of managing personalities, it is just that one personality type who dont seem to respond well to his style.

Which is exactly why I wonder about Cassell.  Payton and the way Rivers handled him is a poster child for that concern.  Payton ran roughshod and appeared to have no accountability under Rivers.  Marbury would be a train wreck in the same situation.

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
But I will say that I think in general, Doc does a great job of managing personalities, it is just that one personality type who dont seem to respond well to his style.

Which is exactly why I wonder about Cassell.  Payton and the way Rivers handled him is a poster child for that concern.  Payton ran roughshod and appeared to have no accountability under Rivers.  Marbury would be a train wreck in the same situation.

I have the same concern.  Although I do think that Cassell is different than Payton.  I think Cassell has a lot more awareness of where he is in his career than Payton did at that point.  He also seems to really enjoy working with the younger guys, and would not see them as threats and try to break them down, like Payton supposedly did when he was here.

My only concern of Doc with Cassell is whether he will pull the plug on him if he does legitimately get beaten out by one of the other guys for minutes.  He did it last year, but it took longer than I would have liked, so hopefully he has a quicker hook this year, if the old (not aged, I mean pre-2008 Celtics) Cassell shows up.

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2008, 05:19:58 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I started this thread  because I am not sure what I would do if I had an opportunity(if you want to call it that) to sign Marbury.
I still do not know!LOL
I would like to think we would be one of the teams that should sign him w/ all of the vets and the coaching staff we have. Also the vets we do have are big names, superstars and you would think the would have an influence on him....a good influence and could get him to join the ubuntu! Or is he really I cancer and like cancer there is no cure and he will affect any one or team?
 In my heart I want the Celtics to sign him, I want him to see the light the "team" and to play to his capabilities with no baggage! I want him to prove everyone wrong, I want him to through it in New Yorks face and get A Ring!!!
WHY DO I WANT THIS??
WHY?
Because I like Marbury? Hell no I actually cant stand the guy!!!! I want this cause I want my team, the green team the Boston Celtics of 2008-2009 To be the most dominate ****g team to walk this earth.To be legends to be the team everyone wished the where old enough to remeber, just like the teams of the mid 80's but better!!
Thats why I want this to work!!
FOR ALL OF US!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:27:20 PM by Gomesfan »
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »

Offline steelbos

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Marbs or Cassell? Pick your poison.

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2008, 07:15:43 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Marbury, who created a huge divide between himself and teammates after he went AWOL in Phoenix last November, stayed to himself with his workouts at the MSG Training Center this offseason until Monday, when he joined the other Knicks veterans in pickup games. One observer from Monday's workout noted the uneasy atmosphere among the other players. "You could just feel the hate," the person said.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix0923,0,2403293.story

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Encouraging signs coming from NY:

"He's coming to training camp," Walsh said of Marbury in a telephone interview Tuesday evening.

"This thing is initiated in the press and then I have to ask questions about it," Walsh said, sounding somewhat perturbed. "I haven't approached [Marbury] about a buyout."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3605502

Still too early to rest, though: Walsh said training camp, not making the team. It's in times like this it pays not being an atheist.

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2008, 10:43:09 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Encouraging signs coming from NY:

"He's coming to training camp," Walsh said of Marbury in a telephone interview Tuesday evening.

"This thing is initiated in the press and then I have to ask questions about it," Walsh said, sounding somewhat perturbed. "I haven't approached [Marbury] about a buyout."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3605502

Still too early to rest, though: Walsh said training camp, not making the team. It's in times like this it pays not being an atheist.

Awesome!   The Knicks are holding training camp at my school in 1 week.  I cant wait!
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup

Sam's managed 3 rings with his poison.  I'll take his.
Yup

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

are you serious with this?

gee, i guess i'll take the vet player who may not be super productive and in the decline of his career but is nothing but a good teammate and supportive of the young kid in front of him over the crazy man who blackmails his gm for starting time, quits on his teammates in the middle of games,  and thinks he's a superstar and won't stand for coming off the bench.

tough choice.  ::)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2008, 09:20:57 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
 "Reached yesterday by The Post, Marbury said he hasn't been approached by the club and attended its voluntary workouts Monday. Marbury, down to less than 200 pounds, said he's in the best shape of his career and claimed the only thing Walsh said to him Monday was, "You look great."

Marbury, who could wind up in Miami, Boston, San Antonio or the Clippers, said he has no desire to work out a settlement."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09242008/sports/knicks/hous_back__steph__too_____for_now_130459.htm

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
"Reached yesterday by The Post, Marbury said he hasn't been approached by the club and attended its voluntary workouts Monday. Marbury, down to less than 200 pounds, said he's in the best shape of his career and claimed the only thing Walsh said to him Monday was, "You look great."

Marbury, who could wind up in Miami, Boston, San Antonio or the Clippers, said he has no desire to work out a settlement."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09242008/sports/knicks/hous_back__steph__too_____for_now_130459.htm

Wow.  Go Steph:
"There wouldn't be no negotiation," Marbury said. "They're going to give me all my money. ... If they want to waive me and give me all my money, fine. If not, I'll try to help this organization win the championship. They told me to come to camp in the best shape of my life and I did that. But I don't want to be in a place I'm not wanted."

Yup